PDA

View Full Version : OT-Mariners

sittingon50
06-05-2008, 08:29 AM
My son & I had a disagreement last night. He says McClaren's post-game, expletive laced tirade fell short of Lou Pinella territory. As far as # of expletives in the shortest period of time, I think McClaren may have had the top performance in Mariner history! Opinions?:lmao:

Angelo Roncalli
06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
McLaren's tirade pales in comparison to the tirades Mariners fans have on a regular basis about Bill Bavasi.

The man has not seen an aging, washed up free agent he didn't want to acquire:

Jose Vidro
Scott Spezio
Miguel Cairo
Rich Aurelia
Carl Everett
Matt Lawton
Jeff Weaver
Jarrod Washburn

Then there are some of his trades:

Asdrubal Cabrera for Eduardo Perez
Carlos Guillen for Ramon Santiago
Randy Winn for Jesse Floppert
Rafael Soriano for Horacio Ramirez

$(#@ #@+ ^&#@!

Bavasi is a graduate of USD. They can have him back.

BobZag
06-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Quite mild, imo. The guy's fire is that of a pilot light on stove. When Lou is pissed you damm well better take cover. This guy is a "By golly I'm mad and gosh darn we gotta turn it around." He can't even sound ticked off.

From 1 to 10, that was a 3.

Anyone can cuss. Listen to the tone. Very bland.

NanookZag
06-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Zagmantis swears all the time. But sweet Lou's rants were the best. McLaren is like your grandfather being mad about his soup being cold, you just tune it out. "Like an old man trying to send soup back at a deli."

YetiHater
06-05-2008, 09:15 AM
It seemed like it was a planned thing. For some reason it lacked a certain fire I like in my tirades.

SageOfZagville
06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
It comes to pass oft that a terrible oath, with a swaggering accent sharply twanged off, gives manhood more approbation than ever proof itself would have earned him.

William Shakespeare

xjzico
06-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Might as well toss Carlos Silva on that list of FA signings.

The drafting, and development, of Morrow as well as the Bedard trade are looking questionable also.

FuManShoes
06-05-2008, 10:23 AM
It seemed like it was a planned thing. For some reason it lacked a certain fire I like in my tirades.

I concur. (And the press was told they'rd be something special after the game, not to mention all the players were at their lockers for the first time in ages). It's pretty sad that the Mariners can't even do tirades right. As a fan of trainwrecks, I'm taking solace in the fact this could go down as the worst M's team in history -- and that's saying something.

MDABE80
06-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Sissy stuff. Almost like McC didn't mean it. These M's had a chance in 2001 and forward. Ownership isn't serious. Bavasi has NEVER been a baseball man....with an IQ for the sport. M's won't improve until he's gone. He dismantled the M's and now we pay for that sin. More to the point though, ownership sets the agenda. Until some serious baseball people (afterall this IS America's game) own the franchise, there's very little hope for excellence in our national pastime as it sits in Seattle. Just my opinion.

zagzealot
06-05-2008, 11:03 AM
"They may not know how to play the game well, they may not know how to hold each other accountable, they may not know how to fight hard," he said. "But they are playing hard. They are trying hard."

Umm...let's not ever let GU adopt this attitude, ok?! Holy smokes!

Where do I sign up to get paid a cool million a year to not know how to do my job well and to not be held accountable?

MDABE80
06-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Zealot you could apply for the Senate. PLUS you get benefits and bribes;)

xjzico
06-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Ownership isn't serious.

$117 million is pretty serious. I do think Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong have much to do with the utter collapse of the Mariners.

Sometimes I wonder if the Mariners are using the Sonics as a business model.

RenoZag
06-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Where do I sign up to get paid a cool million a year to not know how to do my job well and to not be held accountable?

The New York Knicks

VinnyZag
06-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Not just staged, belated as well. Bavasi even said so: “He could have said that a month ago,” general manager Bill Bavasi said later.

zag944
06-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Thing about Lou was there was plenty of seasons for him to be proud of and he had those big old tirades anyways. Over petty things too, balls and strikes, a close call at first.
The Mariners now look as bad as a pro baseball team can be. They are on pace to be the first $100+ million payrolled team to lose 100+ games. Lou would have had a dozen such tirades by now.

zagzealot
06-05-2008, 03:20 PM
One of the best commercials on TV right now - Lou's 'tirade'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uzULboIx3o

kitzbuel
06-05-2008, 06:03 PM
"They may not know how to play the game well, they may not know how to hold each other accountable, they may not know how to fight hard," he said. "But they are playing hard. They are trying hard."

Umm...let's not ever let GU adopt this attitude, ok?! Holy smokes!

Translates to: "We may not know what the hell were doing, but were doing the hell out of it."

MickMick
06-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Without revenue sharing, I refuse to allow myself to become a fan of MLB. I'm not going to follow a young player's career just to watch him get swallowed up by the Yankees or Red Sox when he reaches his prime.

VinnyZag
06-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm not going to follow a young player's career just to watch him get swallowed up by the Yankees or Red Sox when he reaches his prime.

Yeah, well, the rest of us follow a team that insists upon swallowing up old players right AFTER they PASS their primes. I'm not sure revenue-sharing would help the M's.