PDA

View Full Version : High School Hoops In Washington

NEZAGFAN
06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I have been wanting to post about this for some time but had never got around to it. I can't help but notice when looking at Rivals or Scout how many prospects are coming out of Washington annually. 2009 alone is enough for Washington to contend as one of the top states nationally for big time high school prospects with Siva, Gaddy, and Bradley. I was just curious what the members here think of the high school level in WA and how it compares with other states such as California, Texas, and Georgia. Also I was curious if this 2009 class is pretty rare with 3 top 25 prospects or if its a feat seen quite often in WA. I understand this has little to nothing to do with Gonzaga but considering the fact that I live in Nebraska and only get to see top tier talent at AAU tournaments it's just a burning question I have had for some time. Any insight is appreciated and thanks in advance.

CDC84
06-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Martell Webster, Jon Brockman and Micah Downs were all top 25 prospects in the 2005 class. Marcus Williams and Terrence Williams were top 50 kids that same year.

There's a lot of talent. I don't think the state consistently puts out the numbers like California, Texas and Georgia do, but there certainly is quality.

VinnyZag
06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
It's definitely a recent phenomenon. Ten to 15 years ago Washington wasn't producing this kind of talent.

2011Zag
06-03-2008, 11:10 PM
The New York Times sees the same trend. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/sports/23northwest.html

Birddog
06-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Oklahoma has a good class this year as well, led by Daniel Orton #3 at his position (C) , and Xavier Henry #1 (SG). Of the two, there is a chance that Orton might stay in state, Henry is definitely off to either Memphis or Kansas.

MickMick
06-04-2008, 04:47 AM
I watched Ferris play. They didn't strike me as a team of the ages. Winning 52 in a row with two state titles is a nice feat though. I doubt they were the best team in the country. This team played in Gonzaga's back yard and none of their players were actively recruited by the school.

With respect to current names throughout the state:

Tony Wroten is going to be a great player. Josh Smith is going to be a very good player. Siva, Gaddy and Bradley are all fine division one players but there is not as much of a gap between them and Meech/Gibbs as some people believe.

2011Zag
06-04-2008, 07:05 AM
think the fact that they were such a good TEAM makes them an all time Washington team, although I am a bit biased.

MickMick I think you nailed it right on the head. I saw Siva, Gaddy, and Bradley play and they are all very fine players, but the distance between them and Meech/Gibbs is smaller than most think. Meech and Gibbs were the leaders on teams that won while Gaddy/Bradley/Siva fill up the stat book but have never lead their teams to the top. I think winning is an undervalued trait.

duper
06-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Jason Terry and Micheal Dickerson were a huge part of Arizona's best years and they were both from Washington State. We do have some great players but the numbers are not really there. I think great players are great players no matter what state they are from but I do feel the average player is probably better in the bigger metro areas. That is what scares me about Kong in Canada.

Dogman
06-04-2008, 08:05 AM
And to think we haven't even mentioned Rodney Stuckey who played at Kentwood or Marvin Williams from Bremerton

cjm720
06-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Stuckey played phenomally in the playoffs. Detroit has a knack of picking up good value (e.g., Prince). That said, it still baffles me why they picked Afllalo.

Williams is still a rising star.

BroncoZAG615
06-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I think that Washington high school basketball is aided significantly by the success of college basketball programs in the state. The recent successes of GU, WSU, and even UW have really boosted the emphasis on basketball in the college ranks.

These three schools in the Pacific Northwest have created more of a buzz in the schools for kids to play basketball instead of baseball and football and that is creating a larger demand.

Also, when college teams in a state have success, kids are going to transfer from other states to be looked at more heavily by those schools. There was a recent story about Corey Stern who is a mid to high level recruit who just left Thunderidge High School in Colorado to go play in Seattle for his senior season.

Washington is starting to churn out top players and they get plenty of recognition for it. Washington offers top talent for high school basketball but is still small enough so that kids are not drown out by hundreds of leagues and divisons as they are in California and Texas.

MickMick
06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Even the Eastern Washington University Eagles are getting some good Washington recruits in.

Check the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeuEMeg8eQE)