PDA

View Full Version : Meehan S-R Blog Entry on Gurganious' departure

CDC84
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
It's official:

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7847#more

If Gurganious transfers to another D-I school, he would have to sit out next season under NCAA rules and would have just one season of eligibility. However, Gurganious is in the process of applying for a hardship waiver with the NCAA in an attempt to become eligible immediately. He said he’d like to continue his career at a Division I school, but that could depend on a ruling on his waiver.

P.S. = I think Pacific would be a great place for him to go if he can get the waiver. Coach Thomason is a really good coach, and the Tigers are consistent winners. Close to home as well. Not sure what their schoolie situation is though.

theothegreat21
06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Glad to see that LG has lots of options, and hopefully he gets a favorable ruling on that waiver.

hls97
06-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I hope Larry's experience at GU doesn't sour other Bay Area or California recruits. I guess his offensive game just never developed for whatever reason -- injury, rawness, etc.

KSTATEZAG
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
LG= Zag for life.
The mohawk will be missed

JAGzag
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Never like to see this happen. Unfortunately, this is one of the fallouts with becoming more and more elite, with more talent coming in. Folks like LG get squeezed out. Worst part, we never got to see his full potential as a player. Here's to landing at a great school and finishing your career with a degree!

gamagin
06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
on Spokane TV tonight. but the radio voice of the Zags did not say, or speculate where LG's going.

I wonder if LG may have gotten himself into a bind in that whoever takes him may have to give him a scholarship for two years to get one year's play.

That's assuming he doesn't get a hardship.

I don't know whether he qualifies or not. I assume it would have to have some extenuating circumstances, otherwise it would happen more often. I'm guessing.

sittingon50
06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Thank you, Larry. You are a class act.

MDABE80
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
One good kid.......this always saddens me when we lose a kid who came with lots of talent. I hope he tears the place up wherever he goes. He'll always be one of ours. Nice kid, nice family. Wind at your back LG!

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-03-2008, 07:54 PM
While I hate to see him go, his decision is definitely understandable. He has so much potential, but its hard to develop when you're not getting the minutes.

Good luck LG!

BoZarth
06-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I'd venture Larry led the team in offensive rebounds per minute last season. Great rebounder.

I'll miss watching him play.

MedZag
06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Godspeed L.

Great guy.

HillBillyZag
06-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Best wishes Larry G., you have character son, kids like you will always land on your feet!

Zag79
06-03-2008, 10:31 PM
wow. i really cant express how disgusted i am with this situation. not from LG but the coaching staff. how many times are we going to lose a player that does EVERYTHING right but shoot alot? are the times of an EK gone? on thing this team always lacks is the guy that will play glove defense, rebound his tail off, and do it all while only needing PT, not shots. even in his limited time LG would rebound and score more than guys did at times when they were getting triple the PT. anyone that has seen larry play knows there is an impt spot needed for him on our team, regardless of how many shots he will take. losing guys like him and maintaining guys that only score is why we bounce in the first round over and over. good luck LG!

MississppiZag
06-04-2008, 03:13 AM
Yeah, because he was going to take us to the Final 4. Atleast now we have room for Kong. I have nothing against him. You are right when saying that he was a good defender and rebounder, but he just took up space on offense. He is not going to create his own shot, which it looks like Mark Few is looking for. Bol Kong will fill this void very nicely. I hate seeing players go to, but we will only get better with the addition of Kong. No one hates seeing Theo Davis go more than me, because he was a 6'10'' big man that we will need in the next couple of years. Sorry LG, but i would rather have Kong.

75Zag
06-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Compared to other top 25 teams, GU has done a pretty good job of retaining scholarship players over the years. Losing one player a year is hardly a revolving door. I have not gone back to look at the statistics, but based on my memory it seems like UNC, Duke, UConn, Kansas, Florida and Arizona tend to spin off a couple players a year, and maybe more. Good luck to LG where ever he ends up.

CDC84
06-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Larry G's own words:

Its really tough to leave, Gurganious said in a phone interview Tuesday. Thats been my home for the last three years of my life and I really embraced everything that was going on there. I had a great time. I have no regrets at all. Its just some (family) stuff I have to deal with........I think he just feels like he needs to be closer to his family at this time, GU associate head coach Leon Rice said.

ZagFanatic
06-04-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm really bummed to see you go. You were (and are) one of my favorite GU players. You always brought energy, confidence and enthusiasm to your play, and it's obvious you have loads of talent. I look forward to reading about your success wherever you transfer. Good luck with your family situation.

LoveMyZags
06-04-2008, 08:19 AM
I am really bummed to see LG go. He is one of my favorite players. I got really excited that a fellow Bay Area kid made his way to GU. Got the chance to speak with his father at the USF game when I got really excited to see Larry get in the game, his dad asked me if I knew him - we chatted for a few minutes. Sadly, I don't know him but Larry got me excited about his game during his freshman year kraziness in the kennel with a dunk in his first 5 minutes on the floor.

You will be missed at GU, LG. Hope moving back to CA works out for you. Good luck with your future!

gamagin
06-04-2008, 08:52 AM
<<Compared to other top 25 teams, GU has done a pretty good job of retaining scholarship players over the years. Losing one player a year is hardly a revolving door. >>

well said.

I'm going to take him at his word. He says it was his decision. He will likely have to elaborate to get a hardship. I hope he does and I hope he prospers.

But as you say, our record of loyalty to scholarship players seems reasonable and none so far has contended he has been treated with anything other than respect in the process.

zag buddy
06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Larry you were one of my favorite players. I think your potential is unlimited and your future is so so bright if you can stay healthy and get the playing time you need. The best of fortune in all your endeavers. You will be missed.

MJGoGaels
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
It's official:

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7847#more

P.S. = I think Pacific would be a great place for him to go if he can get the waiver. Coach Thomason is a really good coach, and the Tigers are consistent winners. Close to home as well. Not sure what their schoolie situation is though.

What if LG goes to a JC for a year then transfers? Two years of eligibility left?

CDC84
06-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I suspect if LG can't get the waiver he'll go D-2. In fact, he could probably be a starting power forward at the D-2 level.

Angelo Roncalli
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
What if LG goes to a JC for a year then transfers? Two years of eligibility left?

Unfortunately, no.

He's played 2 years, sat out a year, and would up against the 4 in 5 rule.

Zag79
06-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Yeah, because he was going to take us to the Final 4. and any other players we had have done this? dont be childish. look, my point was that a guy like LG can really help a team, and everbody needs someone like him. most scorers arent great defenders, and if lets say matt is having a cold game (like we saw plenty of) someone like larry off the bench can contribute. i know he stated family reasons for leaving and it is true, but i also know he was thinking of leaving often last season due to lack of PT. sure its college hoops, the strong survive and best players play but this is just another instance of players sitting for long periods of time when they could be doing something guys on the floor arent. rant over, thanks for listening.

oh yea, and if you can spread positive rep and leave a message have the guts to do it when you knock a post and leave other rep as well!

MississppiZag
06-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Larry Gurganious or Bol Kong. You know you would rather have this kid that looks to be a good overall scorer and potential starter, rather than a guy that comes off the bench and gives you a couple of rebounds and a point or two. I know who i would rather have. i don't care about rep and i don't waste my time with it like you or anyone else. WE ARE WRITING OVER THE INTERNET.:confused: