PDA

View Full Version : OT: UP band leader Passes

Angelo Roncalli
06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
A post on the Pilots' message board tells of the passing of Dr. Cansler, UP's band leader. Cansler was one of a kind--especially as galloped around the court in his purple suit and purple mylar wig. He was one of the true characters in the WCC. May he rest in peace.

http://pilotnation.net/men-s-basketball-f5/sad-news-about-dr-c-t933.htm

Zagheel
06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I wholeheartedly second that sentiment. Dr. C displayed an amazing and exemplary passion.

sittingon50
06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Thoughts & prayers to our Pilot friends.

229SintoZag
06-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Link appears broken

Angelo Roncalli
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
http://pilotnation.net/men-s-basketball-f5/in-memory-of-dr-c-t936.htm

Here's the text of a moving post from one of his band members:

In Memory of Dr. C

Post by PilotDrummer Yesterday at 9:05 am
I thought it worthy of its own post outside of the "let the band play" thread.

Dr. Philip Cansler passed away this morning (June 2, 2008) around 1 AM. Dr. C had been diagnosed about 7 months ago with a stage IV brain tumor.

That's really all the information we have at present. I know there will be a memorial planned after school resumes in the fall, but have not heard anything further.

Often known for his purple trumpet, purple suit, and crazy antics at basketball games, Phil was one of those people who put his heart into what he did. He loved having fun and the opinions of others about his antics never really bothered him. It is likely that without his encouraging I wouldn’t have stuck around and played concert band, pep band, or anything else. He’s part of the reason I still play.

I’ve lost a friend, the world has lost a great trumpeter and person.

GoZags
06-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Sad news indeed.

He was a genuine "one of a kind" and brought a great deal of joy to the Portland program.

229SintoZag
06-03-2008, 01:43 PM
This guy was truly unique, the way he fired that band up, danced, and wore outrageous purple suits and wigs.

Portland games will not be the same.

PilotNut
06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Sorry for moving the original post.

Dr. C was truely one of a kind. I was blessed to have had him as an instructor as well as enjoy his antics at the games over the years. Dr. C was an amazingly talented man, and the University is a better place due to Dr. Cansler's presence.

He may have been goofy at times, but he was always a first class gentleman and musician.

Here is a photo from Pilot Nation that captures his personality so well:
http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/11/41/82/78/_mg_6110.jpg

75Zag
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
As a UP season ticket holder Dr. C made it fun to attend Pilot games. His antics and the quality of the pep band were much appreciated, especially when the quality of Pilot basketball was not as quite as high as we would hope. I hope they bury Dr. C in that purple suit, because I am pretty sure nobody else would wear it.

PS - what ever happened to the "Pilot" mascot with the giant paper mache' head? He and Dr. C had a pretty good routine going there for quite a few years, but then the Pilot disappeared.

webspinnre
06-04-2008, 07:35 AM
One of my friends played in the UP Pep Band, and I got regaled with a number of stories of him. My condolences to the entire UP family.

MDABE80
06-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Life's experiences and the people we know and meet contribute to what we are. When people like this leave us, whether we know it or not, we're diminished. Colorful, impactful and sincere people on the college level make big differences. Condolences to the UP fans and community on their loss. In the end though, losses of these good people should matter to the GU community as well.

Rangerzag
06-05-2008, 04:52 AM
I missed Doc C when he wasn't at the last GU in Portland game. He fell into the "Character you can't buy" category.

My sympathy goes to the UP community in their loss.