PDA

View Full Version : Don't be so quick to rule out Avery Bradley

NEZAGFAN
06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma, WA is home to one of the top high school backcourts in the nation. Top 2009 prospects Abdul Gaddy and Avery Bradley combine to make up a special combination of point guard play and scoring ability off the ball. Bradley is one of the fastest rising juniors in the country after a terrific spring on the AAU circuit. With the solid spring, offers have poured in from many a Pac-10 school as well as programs from around the country.

For some prospects, rising to five-star status and being ranked #17 in a class nationally can be overwhelming, but not for Bradley. The 6-2.5, 175-pound scoring guard knows exactly why has been the recipient of a sharp ranking increase that has been followed by an increased interest from programs around the country.

"Well, the reason I'm ranked high is because I'm very consistent and play both ends of the floor equally," Bradley said. "I'm working on my point guard skills right now. Making plays for my teammates is something I want to improve on,"

On the recruiting front, the Tacoma area prospect has a list of eight schools that he is seriously considering. Bradley has hopes that he and Gaddy, can play together at the next level.

"I actually have a top eight. They are Arizona, Texas UCLA, USC, Kansas, Memphis, Gonzaga and Oregon. Abdul and I are planning to go to the same school together. That's why I have a top eight and he has a top eight. We have six of the same schools on our lists (Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Memphis, USC and Oregon)," Bradley said.

One school in particular that Bradley is very high is the Texas Longhorns. The scoring guard moved to Washington from the Arlington area in junior high and has always had a strong interest in the Texas program.

"I've always anted to go Texas. I moved to Washington my 7th grade summer from Arlington," Bradley said.

With the decision to cut the list down to a manageable number, the unofficial visit process is on the horizon for the five-star prospect. While Bradley doesn't have visit dates set in stone, he knows he is going to Austin in June.

"I haven't decided yet on my visits, but I'm going to Texas in June for camp (Elite Camp June 26-27) to take a look at the school and program," Bradley said.

When the visit process begins for the Texas native, Bradley has a very good idea of what he is looking for in a college program.

"The main thing I'm looking for is the college that can get me to the next level. A place that can help me improve. My goal is to pick my school at the end of the summer. Hopefully I can go see all of the schools on my list." Bradley said.

Probably a long shot but we still gotta believe theres a chance!

zagsfanforlife
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma, WA is home to one of the top high school backcourts in the nation. Top 2009 prospects Abdul Gaddy and Avery Bradley combine to make up a special combination of point guard play and scoring ability off the ball. Bradley is one of the fastest rising juniors in the country after a terrific spring on the AAU circuit. With the solid spring, offers have poured in from many a Pac-10 school as well as programs from around the country.

For some prospects, rising to five-star status and being ranked #17 in a class nationally can be overwhelming, but not for Bradley. The 6-2.5, 175-pound scoring guard knows exactly why has been the recipient of a sharp ranking increase that has been followed by an increased interest from programs around the country.

"Well, the reason I'm ranked high is because I'm very consistent and play both ends of the floor equally," Bradley said. "I'm working on my point guard skills right now. Making plays for my teammates is something I want to improve on,"

On the recruiting front, the Tacoma area prospect has a list of eight schools that he is seriously considering. Bradley has hopes that he and Gaddy, can play together at the next level.

"I actually have a top eight. They are Arizona, Texas UCLA, USC, Kansas, Memphis, Gonzaga and Oregon. Abdul and I are planning to go to the same school together. That's why I have a top eight and he has a top eight. We have six of the same schools on our lists (Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Memphis, USC and Oregon)," Bradley said.

One school in particular that Bradley is very high is the Texas Longhorns. The scoring guard moved to Washington from the Arlington area in junior high and has always had a strong interest in the Texas program.

"I've always anted to go Texas. I moved to Washington my 7th grade summer from Arlington," Bradley said.

With the decision to cut the list down to a manageable number, the unofficial visit process is on the horizon for the five-star prospect. While Bradley doesn't have visit dates set in stone, he knows he is going to Austin in June.

"I haven't decided yet on my visits, but I'm going to Texas in June for camp (Elite Camp June 26-27) to take a look at the school and program," Bradley said.

When the visit process begins for the Texas native, Bradley has a very good idea of what he is looking for in a college program.

"The main thing I'm looking for is the college that can get me to the next level. A place that can help me improve. My goal is to pick my school at the end of the summer. Hopefully I can go see all of the schools on my list." Bradley said.

Probably a long shot but we still gotta believe theres a chance!

When Bradley mentions they both have a top eight and say that 6 of the 8 they have in common. Gonzaga was not one that they both had in common. This would indicate that Gaddy is no longer interested in Gonzaga :(

MDABE80
06-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Really good players who came to camp last year. I hope they do well wherever they end up. We really DO have some fine kids coming to GU. Although it would be fun to have some highly rated State kids, it seems like Few has found some amazing talent for the back court.

I just returned from a laarge meeting in LA. I ran into 2 basketball fans from Houston ( lawyer-bankers). The Meech sounds pretty spectacular. They raved about him and his A & M FB brother both good players and as young people in their own right. I guess my point is that every school in America would like a Bradley/Gaddy type backcourt.

We have some surprising talent coming. A simple year ago, I was kind of drooling over the prospect of having these 2. Not so much anymore. I loike what we have.

VinnyZag
06-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I like your optimism, NEZAG, but I can't bring myself to share it. These kids sound like they're just a hair out of reach.
GU's recent history indicates better odds with going after kids who are late-bloomers (like Bouldin and Daye) or who are for whatever reason overlooked by the big boys (like Calvary and Morrison). Hope I'm wrong, but ...

SLOZag
06-02-2008, 11:25 PM
A nice summary of where these two youngsters are at -- and joined at the hip is NOT necessarily the case.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/365555_recruits03.html

MickMick
06-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Why didn't Bellemine prep win the state title? The "top" backcourt in the country in a guard dominated era and they didn't take the title. In comparison, what did Meech's high school team do....in Texas? I believe he advanced at least as far in a state with better overall talent. (simple math...much larger population = much larger population of good players.)

I'm with MDABE80 on this one. I'll take Gibbs and Meech. Part of the Gaddey/Bradley lore is built upon who recruited them.

2011Zag
06-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Ferris beat BP 75-60 and were up by 20+ for most of the game. Ferris had a much better overall team. Gaddy and Bradley played well but didnt blow me away by any means. Im sure with an inside presence they would have been more competitive.

Angelo Roncalli
06-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Why didn't Bellemine prep win the state title? The "top" backcourt in the country in a guard dominated era and they didn't take the title. In comparison, what did Meech's high school team do....in Texas? I believe he advanced at least as far in a state with better overall talent. (simple math...much larger population = much larger population of good players.)

I'm with MDABE80 on this one. I'll take Gibbs and Meech. Part of the Gaddey/Bradley lore is built upon who recruited them.

Bellarmine had very little height...and suffered in games with strong post players (like Ferris had).

NEZAGFAN
06-03-2008, 06:25 AM
When Bradley mentions they both have a top eight and say that 6 of the 8 they have in common. Gonzaga was not one that they both had in common. This would indicate that Gaddy is no longer interested in Gonzaga :(

Good point but according to Gaddy's profile on Rivals he is still listing Gonzaga. I realize that the profiles have been known to be inaccurate from time to time so I'm agreeing with your insight..but I still have a sliver of hope :D

spudzag
06-03-2008, 06:47 AM
If we were to take both we would have to forgo one of the bigs we really need. Even if we were listed by both it would be a mistake to take them. We aren't going anywhere with all guards and wings on the team. We need balance.