PDA

View Full Version : Pangos Camp: Day 3

BobZag
06-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Bak Bak, a 2009 6-foot-8 forward, had an understated camp but important one. He showed a variety of skills in the post that will warrant a closer look by both the mid and high-major schools this summer.

Joe Burton was fun to watch at the Pangos event. His play was in line with the laid-back spirit of the camp. His passing was on full display both in the halfcourt and as a deep outlet passer. He was one of the best passers in the event from start to finish.

The big man is a rare breed of player. He's big at an estimated 6-feet-7 and 270-pounds but moves quite well for his size, catches everything in the low post and hit a couple of three-pointers in the process.

NEZAGFAN
06-01-2008, 05:31 PM
catches everything in the low post and hit a couple of three-pointers in the process.

Very nice..:)

MississppiZag
06-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Joe Burton just continues to grow on me and sounds better with every new report. I really hope to see us get him. I cannot say it enough, but i just really hope that we don't let up on this kid and try to reel him in by the fall.

Judging by his most recent list-Marquette, Gonzaga, UCF, San Diego State, and Utah- i really feel like we are the frontrunners. It would be hard for me to believe that a kid from Cali would go to Marquette, and other than that we are the best program by far. I'm sure there are others, but according to his recent list we are looking really good. The skills that he possesses just continue to grow. He can post you up, obviously weighing 270 lbs, he can pass, shoot from deep, and can rebound. He sounds like the ideal big man, and it would be a shame for us to miss out on him.

I'm sure the staff knows all about his game and will make him ours

spudzag
06-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I think you are right Mississippi. I think Burton may be just a little short and a bit heavy to have the majors circling. He seems to have the skills and be just what we need.

MississppiZag
06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I know we don't know for sure, but do you feel that our staff has or will make him the main target? I think out of all of the recruits, that he is the closest to a finished project and that he would be the most likely to contribute first. He does everything well and should be looked at as the top prospect for the '09 class. Don't get me wrong i love Honeycutt, Dower, and Marshall as well, but judging by his AAU performances and his list, he is the best suited player, with us being the best program on his list. I agree with you that he is flying under the radr with his size, and hopefully his list will continue to have the smaller schools, eith us being at the top. I know there are others out there, but his kid seems like a "can't miss" player that will instantly produce in his freshman yr all the way to his senior year.

spudzag
06-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I've felt the priorities should be a 4,5,3,2 in that order. But 4 and 5 are both critical and a toss up on which is more important. I love the fact that we have 5 to chose from, and yes Burton would be my favorite. I like Honeycutt or Soloman for the 3 spot, even though we will have KONG! A guard is the least important given that Manny has committed and we have Meech and Grant arrving soon.

So I'd love to see Burton, Bak, and Dower and ship another guard.

MississppiZag
06-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Bad News: According to Scout's article on Pongos Day 3, Joe Burton has interest from Utah, UCF, San Diego State, Gonzaga, Marquette, and Arizona. I still think we can be the favorites and easily beat out the others. We need to act quickly though. Hopefully he soon sees what is happening to the Arizona program and realizes that GU is the perfect place for him to take his game.:D

MississppiZag
06-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Anyone with a Rivals subscription, there is article about Joe Burton and his interest with Arizona and others posted today.
It's on his profile page.

NEZAGFAN
06-02-2008, 07:42 AM
LOS ANGELES - Arizona is in need of at least a couple big men in 2009 and the UA coaching staff is in the process of evaluating prospects to find post players to seriously target.

Icon SMI
Arizona is starting to recruit Joe Burton.
One player being evaluated is 6-foot-7, 270-pound Hemet (Calif.) West Valley center Joe Burton, who is coming off a very strong spring.

Burton led his Compton Magic AAU squad to the title game of the Arizona Cactus Classic and this past weekend he played well again at the Pangos All-American Camp.

"Joe Burton was fun to watch at the Pangos event," writes Rivals.com recruiting analyst Justin Young. "His play was in line with the laid-back spirit of the camp. His passing was on full display both in the halfcourt and as a deep outlet passer. He was one of the best passers in the event from start to finish.

"The big man is a rare breed of player. He's big at an estimated 6-feet-7 and 270-pounds but moves quite well for his size, catches everything in the low post and hit a couple of three-pointers in the process."

Arizona recently got in contact with Burton and started to get seriously involved for the first time.

"They talked to my step dad and said they were interested in me and were going to recruit me," Burton said. "They want me to go their school."

Burton says that the interest is mutual and that he's very open to receiving more attention from the UA coaching staff.

"I'm pretty serious (about Arizona)," Burton said. "It's close to home; it's like down the street. It's a cool little setup, a cool campus. The school and the gym are nice."

While Burton is happy about the UA recruiting him, he says that he still is in the process of finding out about the program.

"I'm going to do a little research and look up the history and all that stuff," he said.

Schools that have offered Burton include Gonzaga, Marquette, Utah, San Diego State and Utah. Among the programs giving him serious attention are Florida, Tennessee, Illinois and New Mexico.

Burton is taking his time with his recruitment but does know what he's looking for in a school.

"I'll probably narrow it down by next year," Burton said. "I'm looking for a coach that first of all will be a role model to me, someone that will teach me right from wrong on the basketball court and that will help me grow as a player."

GOAZCATS.com will have more on Joe Burton's recruitment as the UA gets more involved with him.

cjm720
06-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Looks like we offered, that's good news.

kitzbuel
06-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Sounds like he needs to talk to Ronny Turiaf. Maybe Ronny can talk to him right after he gets his championship ring.

MississppiZag
06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
I was feeling really comfortable with our positioning in Burton's recruiting, until Arizona got involved. Hopefully he will visit us and realize what a great place GU is. We are looked at as one of the top programs at developing young players into NBA ready players. I'm a little bit nervous now though.:(

BobZag
06-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Take a minute and read every Rivals article about UA recruits; every one of them sound like a sure-fired lock to go there. Go see what I mean. I don't know if it's due to leading questions or what, but every kid interviewed talks like there's no difference between Arizona and the Lakers. Just a little something I've picked up on. C'est la vie.

Meanwhile--

Joe Burton, C Burton capped off a solid weekend of camp with a big performance in the all-star game. The 6-foot-7, 270-pounder did his best Kevin Love impersonation by tossing out full court outlet passes to streaking teammates. Burton also showed his vision from the post as he found cutters for lay ups a number of times. Passing aside, hes a big kid equipped with a nice pair of hands and a soft touch.

Joe Burton said he has strong interest from Utah, Gonzaga, San Diego State, Marquette, Central Florida and Arizona.

MississppiZag
06-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Where do you think we fit on his list of 6? I can see us at the top and no worse than #2, maybe behind Arizona, judging by the article(from GOAZCATS.COM).

BobZag
06-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Where do you think we fit on his list of 6? I can see us at the top and no worse than #2, maybe behind Arizona, judging by the article(from GOAZCATS.COM).

Only Joe truly knows. I know Few's offense fits Burton to a T (see Casey, Cory, Ronny, JP) but he hasn't been interviewed enough by neutral people to really get a feel.

MississppiZag
06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I read somewhere that Gonzaga has offered Joe Burton. Scout just put Joe on our page of recruits that we have interest in. Just wondering if we have offered him yet. I could be thinking about somebody different, or maybe Scout just hasn't finished that yet.:confused:

ZagNative
06-02-2008, 06:32 PM
CSTV has a Van Coleman story (http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/060208aam.html) up about Pangos. Not too much new in it that I could see, but mentions several current guboards faves.

Bak Bak 6-foot-10 C Sun Valley Village Christian (Calif.) - He had an unofficial 30-point game in early games. He scored with turnaround on blocks, knocked down 12-footer facing the hoop, and did good job facing the hoop.
oe Burton 6-foot-8 C Hemet West Valley (Calif.) - Wide bodied low block scorer popped out to knock down elbow jumper, did good job on glass, and continued to be tough to stop once he got ball in the paint.
Solomon Hill 6-foot-6 CF Los Angeles Fairfax (Calif.) - This athletic combo did an excellent job on glass all weekend. He hit 16-footer off dribble and finished in traffic at the rim.
Anthony Brown 6-foot-5 WF (2010) Huntington Beach Oceanview (Calif.) - One of the spring's fastest risers in the Class of 2010! He is an explosive scorer who sets up drive from around arc or off the dribble. Should break into our pre-summer rankings based on his play here.Good grief! I owe Van Coleman a shiny new silver dollar for his discipline in not mentioning Anthony's angelic countenance.

I also saw another story about Joe Burton (http://wildcatsportsreport.com/news/story.php?article=586), but it was subscription only so I couln't read more than the intro, but I was able to see a nice pic of what appears to be a trim Smokin' Joe:

http://wildcatsportsreport.com/media/images/article/1212433346.jpg

sittingon50
06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
No wonder he catches everything!! Look at those mitts!!