PDA

View Full Version : Pongos: Day Two

NEZAGFAN
06-01-2008, 04:59 AM
To fully appreciate what Solomon Hill does, watch him in a couple of games and the full picture is painted on the basketball canvas. The 6-foot-6 wing has point guard skills in terms of his ball-handling, passing and court vision. Hill's cross-over and in and out dribble had defenders quite confused.

After a dynamic spring, Solomon Hill said he has watched his recruitment sky-rocket as Oregon State, Boston College, San Diego, San Diego State and UNLV all offered scholarships. Texas, Gonzaga, Kansas State, Michigan and Southern Cal are also in the picture. Hill said he plans on a return trip to the Galen Center next week for USC's elite camp.

Joe Burton said he is hearing from Utah, Gonzaga, Central Florida, San Diego State and Marquette. :)

California point guard Robert Smith said he has offers from Santa Clara, Southern Cal, Cal, San Diego State and Nebraska while Pepperdine, Gonzaga, San Diego and Virginia are also in the picture.

While he isn't here in L.A., we learned that Las Vegas guard Anthony Marshall will be making an unofficial trip to Miami on June 8.

MississppiZag
06-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Great news, it is the first time i have seen us mentioned in the same breath as Joe Burton. We do not have as much competition as i thought we would, so we need to get him to visit and try to convince him that GU is the place for him. Some Batista videos wouldn't hurt either. I hope to find out more on him and his interest in us.:)

Great Find

ZagNative
06-01-2008, 07:30 AM
From Scout's Day Two Report:

Bak Bak, PF – The 6-foot-8 big man had a huge afternoon game. Bak went for 30 points and seven rebounds and scored his buckets in a variety of ways. To go with baskets in the paint, he also mixed in mid-range jumpers and three pointers. At this point his college interest has been mixed and is a guy to monitor.
Solomon Hill, SF – The Los Angeles (Calif.) Fairfax standout doesn’t do a ton of scoring, but he certainly does everything else. At 6-foot-6, Hill is a skilled wing that also spends a lot on the ball, and rightfully so, as he’s capable of taking defenders off the bounce and creating for teammates. Although he doesn’t shoot it much, he was efficient in one of the games we watched as he hit a deep three and a spot up 18-footer.

BobZag
06-01-2008, 08:25 AM
How about Bak Bak? The kid is a big-timer. A perfect complement to Burton, imo.

Good roundup, guys.

MississppiZag
06-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Anyone know if a report will be out on Bak Bak in the next couple of days? After that performance i am convinced that he is a very talented player. I am curious to see where we stand on his list of schools and what level of interest in our program.

I think with help of Arop and Kong, that we could pull him in. He would feel comfortable with two players from his home country of Sudan. What a trio they would be!

MississppiZag
06-01-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm going to be honest. When Bob said that Burton was showing serious interest in us, i was a bit skeptical and negative about the situation. I am very happy to see that we are in his top 5(More like top 3, i don't see SDSU or UCF as real contenders). We got a real shot, and i am now 100% sure that we are in the running and eventually sign the big man.:D So good job BobZag. Let's get Dower or Bak to go with him.

30 points shows me that this guy is the real deal

BobZag
06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm pushing for reports on Joe Burton and Bak Bak. Hopefully, very soon. Meanwhile, a little more on Hill--

"As a shooter, Hill is streaky but when it mattered, he hit the big bucket. Hill peppered in enough three-pointers to keep people honest and he dug down deep for some tough scores in the midrange."

It's looking almost like a deadheat between Honeycutt and Hill.

spudzag
06-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm totally impressed at how wide Few and the Assistant Coaches have cast the nets in this year's search.

Just look at the options they have lined up at every postion. I'm especially impressed with the quality of each prospect, despite being relatively unkown - for the most part, and the fact that Few has positoned himself well. MY impression is that all or nearly all are well within reach. (UCLA can only sign so many).

I've gone from feeling pretty down about loosing out on several prosects a couple of months ago to darn impressed. Kudos to Few & Co.

theothegreat21
06-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Well June 8th will clearly be a difficult day for me and other members of the Anthony Marshall fan club. Although I am very intrigued that he is taking some unofficials, hopefully sometime this summer one of those will be to Spokane.

ZagNative
06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
There's a brief report on the LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2008/06/basketball-star.html), and it contains links to their pages about some plaryers we're interested in, including Hill and Burton.
The Southland was well represented too. Victor Rudd, from Van Nuys, opened some eyes, as did Mater Dei's Gary Franklin and Windward's Darius Morris. Can't forget to mention the fact that Fairfax's Solomon Hill, Colony's Tyler Lamb, West Valley's Joe Burton and Rancho Verde's Michael Snaer showed well.The Solomon Hill page (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2008/05/working-copy.html) linked in that story, posted May 1, 2008, contains the following:
Basketball: It's no longer simply a one-man show at Fairfax

When it comes to recruiting, no one gets as much attention as Renardo Sidney, one of the most sought-after Division I prospects in the nation. However, the big man from Fairfax isn't the only underclassman from the City Section powerhouse that scouts have been noticing recently.

Interest in Solomon Hill, the defender with his arm raised in the picture, grows weekly. Make that daily.

The 6-foot-6 junior has emerged as a legitimate talent and it appears as if Texas is one of the early front-runners to win his services, according to these quotes. The Longhorns have been in contact with Hill for a majority of the last five months or so, and spoke to him as recently as last weekend.

There are reports on the Internet leading most to believe that Nevada Las Vegas has offered him a scholarship, his first, to date. Colorado, Oregon, Utah and USC are in the mix as well for Hill, who's stock figures to rise over the summer, with or without Renardo Sidney around.

The photo on Hill's page is from a February 27, 2008 game against Dorsey in the city sectional semifinal game. He's the one with his hand extended):

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Solomon%20Hill/2008-05-01SolomonHillLATimes-smalle.jpg

ZagNative
06-01-2008, 11:52 AM
The link in the LA Times story on Pangos leads to this report, posted May 7, 2008, about Joe Burton (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2008/05/working-copy-1.html):
West Valley's Burton is a rising prospect you should know about

Last time Joe Burton found his name in the news, the junior from Hemet West Valley was putting on a pretty good show during the Southern Section basketball playoffs, back in early March. Interestingly enough, there haven't been too many updates on him since, so I figured it was about time to check in and see how things were going.

Burton is still impressing, and doing so without much attention from the media. He's been playing well throughout the spring on the travel ball circuit. So well, in fact, San Diego St. and Central Florida have offered scholarships. UConn and Florida have expressed interest and Texas and UCLA are among the other programs in constant contact.

My guess is, it will only be a matter of time before the 6-foot-7, 270-plus pound post player becomes even more of a hot commodity, perhaps a household name. It's worth noting that Rivals.com and Scout.com have jumped on the bandwagon. It will be interesting to see who is next...The page links to another story about Burton from May 1 (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2008/03/boys-basketba-4.html):

Boys' basketball: West Valley is victorious in overtime

This guy, Joe Burton, is the real deal.

The 6-foot-8, 280-plus pound junior from Hemet West Valley showed several glimpses of his tremendous upside during Saturday's Southern Section Division III-A championship game, finishing with 23 points and 17 rebounds in a 90-80 overtime victory over Perris at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

"He sets the standard for us. He's our big buy, and in big games, you have to go to the big guy,'' Mustangs coach Chuck Peebles said of Burton, who played the final 16 minutes, including the extra session, with four fouls. The underclassman is being recruited by Florida, UCLA and USC.

Burton had help. Plenty of help. John Balwigaire scored 24 of his game-high 30 points in the second half and Eric Lawton added 21 points to secure the title, the first ever for West Valley in any sport. But make no mistake, without Burton, the outcome would've been different -- no doubt about it.

MississppiZag
06-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Got any Bak Bak pictures? I have seen his scout picture, but that is about it.
Also does anyone have videos of Burton, Dower, or Honeycutt? Just curious:D

ZagNative
06-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Got any Bak Bak pictures? I have seen his scout picture, but that is about it.
Also does anyone have videos of Burton, Dower, or Honeycutt? Just curious:DI looked hard for photos of Bak Bak but found none. It's difficult enough to just find stories about him, what with the fact he's international, spent a year in Florida, then transferred to Village Christian, a small private school in Sun Valley, CA, sat for a year, and is just really starting to come on people's radar.

spudzag
06-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Another tidbit on Burton, althought a bit dated;

Joe Burton (6-foot-8, Center, 2009, Compton Magic)-Though he missed his team’s first game on Friday night, he showed up in timely fashion as him and Roberto Nelson were probably the best 1-2 punch in the whole tournament. Burton’s ability to score with ease on the low block, his intuition of where defenders are closing in at and always seeming to make the right pass or decision separates him from a lot of the top post players. In addition, he has tremendous footwork and is strong as an ox. Burton is about as good as it gets down low. He would average 18 points per game while shooting an impressive 62.8% from the field. He would lead the tournament field in rebounds with close to 10 per game. It was a great performance for the skilled big fella.

Lots of great comments about his game and skills.

MississppiZag
06-01-2008, 04:08 PM
I feel that Stover would be nice in terms of athleticism and finishing, but Burton can bulldoze his way to easy finishes. He should be our #1 priority as a big man followed by Dower or Bak. I'm not sure which one would be the better fit as both Bak and Dower look to have the same type of game. Both can shoot and are athletic at the 4 position. Hope to find out what the staff has as the main target between Bak or Dower and Burton or Stover. This is one of the first times i can remember where our staff has this many options at the 4 and 5 position. Bak is a bit unknown and i look forward to hearing his interest in us. Dower and Burton seem to be the front runners, IMO. I won't be disappointed with any of the two.
I could not be anymore happier than when i heard that Burton finally listed us as one of the 5 schools that he has interest in and has heard from. Hope to see him join our frontline.

Sacre, Poling, Burton, and Dower would be awesome.:D