PDA

View Full Version : Pargo Update

Angelo Roncalli
05-30-2008, 03:33 PM
JP to return to GU if he's not guaranteed to be chosen in the first round.

Pargo in wait-and-see mode

Woody Wommack
Special to The Spokesman-Review
May 30, 2008

LAKE BEUNA VISTA, Fla. – There’s only one way Gonzaga guard Jeremy Pargo won’t be back in Spokane for his senior season – if an NBA franchise promises to draft him in the first round.

While Pargo said he’s still “50-50” on returning to school, he said that if doesn’t think he’ll be drafted in the first round, he’ll definitely be back.

"If I feel like I have an opportunity to go in the first round I’m going to jump on it,” he said. “But if I feel like the best situation is for me to go back to school that’s what I’m going to do."

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=15150

theothegreat21
05-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Great find....I must say that I absolutely love the final quote from the article.

--Pargo said that if he does return to Gonzaga, the college basketball world better be prepared.

“I think we’ll be the best team in the country to be honest,” he said. --

BobZag
05-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Great find....I must say that I absolutely love the final quote from the article.

--Pargo said that if he does return to Gonzaga, the college basketball world better be prepared.

“I think we’ll be the best team in the country to be honest,” he said. --

:cheers:

duper
05-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I didn't read it to say he was coming back if he wasn't a first round pick. To me he said he was going to take his time and evaluate all his options and hopefully do what is best. He is of course a competative man and trying to do his best in all these tryouts, it is kind of unfortunate that the process makes college basketball and in this case ZAG basketball the unwanted second prize.

MDABE80
05-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Duper......we're in 2nd position with no hope of moving up. Well, now we know! GO BIG FELLA!! Cmon back....lets prove your as good as you wanna be! We need a FF.!!!!...We need a TITLE!

75Zag
05-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Pargo's stats dropped significantly in every important category except assists between 06/07 and 07/08. I attribute the drop to the absence of an effective low post player this past year. If Few can assure Pargo that GU will support him with a skilled low post this coming year, JP would be crazy NOT to come back to GU. Here's hoping that Josh shakes off the shroom/foot-surgery blues, or that Sacre gains 30 pounds this summer and gets a lot meaner.

saintzag
05-30-2008, 06:43 PM
You will have a lifetime of chances in the pros, but only one more chance to play for the Zags.Only one chance at the national championship. Go for it!

gueastcoast
05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I like that last quote. If he's not going to go in the first round, why wouldn't he want to come back if he really believes the Zags will be a top 5/10 type of team? The national exposure will be huge and can only help him in the following year's draft.

Esp. if one of 75Zag's hopes materializes ;)

MedZag
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Pargo's stats dropped significantly in every important category except assists between 06/07 and 07/08. I attribute the drop to the absence of an effective low post player this past year.

Ditto, which is why statistics can be misleading. Pargo's decision making, leadership, and ability to control the pace of games and take over when necessary was MUCH better in his junior campaign than his sophomore one, but you wouldn't guess it by the numbers (though the spike in his assist:turnover ratio does show it).

roxdoc
05-30-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't think that Rob has to gain a bunch of weight, he just has to improve his game.

VinnyZag
05-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I didn't read it to say he was coming back if he wasn't a first round pick.

While Pargo said he’s still “50-50” on returning to school, he said that if doesn’t think he’ll be drafted in the first round, he’ll definitely be back.

I don't see how that's open to interpretation.

duper
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
I could be reading it wrong but in the article I don't see quotes around that statement. The quotes are around the next statement which says he will come back if it is whats best for him. Just my interp.

BobZag
05-31-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think that Rob has to gain a bunch of weight, he just has to improve his game.

Absolutely.

75Zag
05-31-2008, 02:34 PM
If Sacre actually weighs 255 as stated on his player bio - and I am a bit skeptical - my "gain weight" suggestion was probably off base. But in watching and comparing Sacre (stated weight 255) with somebody like Kevin Love (stated weight 250), Love seemed to be an unmoveable force when playing defense in the middle of the lane, whereas Sacre had little to no success in blocking penetration by much smaller players (particularly without fouling them). If Sacre does not need more weight, maybe he needs more muscle, more leverage, more coaching, more killer instinct, more coffee, or whatever. Call me greedy, but this year I would love to see WCC guards and forwards driving the lane and bouncing off Sacre and hitting the floor as if they had just run into the brick wall at the end of the gym.

"Big Country" Sacre sounds good to me.

NEZAGFAN
05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Kevin Love (stated weight 250), Love seemed to be an unmoveable force when playing defense in the middle of the lane, whereas Sacre had little to no success in blocking penetration by much smaller players (particularly without fouling them).

Kevin Love is actually listed around 275, he's quite a bit larger then Rob, although Rob is defenitaley more toned.

KSTATEZAG
05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
If Sacre actually weighs 255 as stated on his player bio - and I am a bit skeptical - my "gain weight" suggestion was probably off base. But in watching and comparing Sacre (stated weight 255) with somebody like Kevin Love (stated weight 250), Love seemed to be an unmoveable force when playing defense in the middle of the lane, whereas Sacre had little to no success in blocking penetration by much smaller players (particularly without fouling them). If Sacre does not need more weight, maybe he needs more muscle, more leverage, more coaching, more killer instinct, more coffee, or whatever. Call me greedy, but this year I would love to see WCC guards and forwards driving the lane and bouncing off Sacre and hitting the floor as if they had just run into the brick wall at the end of the gym.

Love is a fully developed big man. Everyone knew that coming in. Rob was more of a project. He has all the natural size and strength you could ask for--he just hasn't learned how to use it. Kevin Love is probably an unfair comparison.Once Rob learns that he has a switch he can flip that allows for "dominance" watch out world.

MedZag
05-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Love also have a lower center of gravity than Sacre, which is a huge asset in boxing out.

Nevtelen
05-31-2008, 04:59 PM

There was definitly not a lack of power on Rob's part, just a lack of "how-to'. Remember how physical he got with UConn's front line? He can bang around with the best of them. He just often doesn't have good position or the footwork or instincts in the post to excell yet as a player. But the body is undoubtedly there, IMO.

MickMick
05-31-2008, 06:15 PM
There was definitly not a lack of power on Rob's part, just a lack of "how-to'. Remember how physical he got with UConn's front line? He can bang around with the best of them. He just often doesn't have good position or the footwork or instincts in the post to excell yet as a player. But the body is undoubtedly there, IMO.

Blue ribbon post by Nevtelen.

MedZag
05-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Chad Ford has an Orlando roundup here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Orlandostockwatch080531

Unforunately, Pargo is listed under his "The Bad" for "The Good and The Bad"

Jeremy Pargo, PG, Gonzaga

Lots of scouts, me included, are intrigued by Pargo's excellent athleticism and explosiveness. But the question has always been … is he a point guard, and can he shoot the basketball? The answers after this camp aren't encouraging. He led the camp in turnovers with 14 in three games. As for that shooting? He was 2-for-7 from 3. Pargo did have a good offensive performance in the last game, but it was marred by six turnovers.

MickMick
05-31-2008, 06:47 PM
I have to agree with Chad Ford's assessment. Not from watching Jeremy in Orlando (which I didn't), but from watching him develop at Gonzaga. The Orlando results were almost predictable.

Jeremy must pay attention to detail with regard to his passing if he is to make it in the NBA. Lazy passes won't cut it. I don't know if he can resolve turnover issues in a senior season at Gonzaga or not.

I do know that he has improved more in the last three years then any other player I have seen in a Zag uniform. Frankly, I thought he was a turnover machine as a freshman. His passing has come a long ways since then albeit his current passing prowess doesn't come naturally and it is a skill that he has really had to work on. It works (to a degree) at the college level, but he is going to need another quantum leap in his decision making to make it in the NBA.

Just my opinion.

Edit:

Where Jeremy separates himself is his explosive first step and upper body strength. He can spin, cut, and accelerate with the best of them. And he can really finish at the rim.....an area (finishing) where I think he has improved more than any other.

I personally think he picked the wrong sport. If I had to pick one player that he reminds me of it is this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DyMRbrJRNk).

DenDiegoZag
06-02-2008, 07:49 AM

Exactly,

One word that he needs to focus on even more than positioning..."HANDS!"