PDA

View Full Version : UConn's Calhoun treated for cancer, doing well

Section 116
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
UConn Coach Jim Calhoun treated for 2nd round of skin cancer, but said to be doing well and now cancer free. Those are priceless words for anyone ever suffering from any form of cancer!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8193530/Calhoun-treated-for-skin-cancer,-will-keep-coaching

NJZag
08-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Update article about his post-surgical treatments.

http://www.courant.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sports/hc-ucmen0805.artaug05,0,908518.story

Former Players Boost Calhoun's Spirits, Recruitment
By MIKE ANTHONY | Courant Staff Writer
August 5, 2008

STORRS - These are trying days for UConn coach Jim Calhoun, who appreciates a boost to his spirit now more than usual. He's in the seventh and final week of radiation treatments that followed surgery May 6 to remove a cancerous growth from the right side of his neck.

He's a little weak, a little hoarse, and not really feeling, sounding or acting like himself. Calhoun spent most of his time a step back from the action Sunday and Monday as his staff and others pushed 24 high school players through the paces at the Connecticut Elite Camp, but that isn't to say he wasn't fully involved on an emotional level.

Especially when Rudy Gay showed up Monday to play a few games and speak to campers. Seeing and hearing from former players is always an injection of energy and joy for Calhoun, entering his 23rd season at UConn.

"You certainly look forward to it," Calhoun said. "I've actually talked to [many] of them on the phone. Almost all the kids have called and said, 'I'm praying for you, Coach,' that type of thing. There's something about getting up at 5:30 every morning [for radiation]. I've had a lot of time to think driving back and forth, and there's no question there's a ton of thought. To see a lot of the kids and [remember] why it's so worthwhile to do what you do, this weekend spells that out. Just by nature, these type of things bring upon ... I don't want to say melancholy, but reflection, for sure."

Nearly 40 former UConn players will return for the Jim Calhoun Charity All-Star Game at Mohegan Sun Arena Saturday. As assistant coach Patrick Sellers said Monday, "It's like all of his sons are coming home."

Whether it be Ben Gordon, now a Bulls guard, walking into the basketball offices with a different twinkle in his eye or Gay, returning after two years with the Grizzlies as a polished and confident adult, Calhoun loves how many former players recognize the UConn program and his guidance as important building blocks.

Donny Marshall spoke Sunday afternoon. Kevin Ollie spoke Sunday night. On Monday, Gay put on a show during pickup games and delivered a message with the microphone.

"I told them exactly how it is," said Gay, who averaged 20.1 points and 6.2 rebounds last season. "When you step in between these lines [at Gampel] there's a certain amount of pride you have to have in the game and the school. Everybody who is here comes back for a reason. I came back for a reason to show my respect."

Last year, Caron Butler and Ray Allen spoke at the elite camp, which is instructional but also a recruiting opportunity. UConn is interested in about eight of the players, most notably center Daniel Orton from Oklahoma City, guard Dominic Cheek from St. Anthony's in New Jersey and guard Durand Scott from New York.

The Connecticut Elite Camp is one of several these players attend, so having NBA players on hand is important for recruiting.

"We have guys that believe enough in the experience they had here to come back," assistant coach Andre LaFleur said. "Just to see heads turn is funny. At one point, one of the kids was looking at Rudy and said, 'I can't believe he's standing right over there.'"

The early session Sunday focused on trying to recreate a UConn practice, as coaches simulated the in-season routine. Games were then played, and coaches looked for players' ability to implement what they learned.

Monday was more about every camper enjoying the experience. Having Gay on hand was the highlight for campers and Calhoun.

"He's a 'SportsCenter' highlight tape," Calhoun said. "He comes back four or five times a year. ... He's such a spectacular player, you're certainly going to remember him."

manthony@courant.com

Article wrapping up news about the charity game at Mohegan Sun arena is below, and mentions UConn hoops alumni like Rudy Gay, Emeka Okafor, Hilton Armstrong, Caron Butler, Ray Allen, Charlie Villanueva. With 13 alums in the NBA, UConn has the lead in that category.

http://www.courant.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sports/hc-calhoun0810.artaug10,0,6792931.story