PDA

View Full Version : Rivals vs Scout

MississppiZag
05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I am thinking about subscribing to one or the other, and I was wanting the opinion of the forum of which one is all around better?

spudzag
05-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I subscribe to and like both. Rivals is the better of the two although articles come out on both from time to time. Scout doesn't stay as current on GU information. I've given some thought to adding subscriptions to Hoopmasters and ESPN during recruiting season, but hat would be total over the top. :)

BroncoZAG615
05-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Rivals.

Much more user friendly and faster updating on everything. Scout is just gross looking and cluttered. Its not easy to get around and it seems like they are never satisfied with what you are paying them.

Scout still has two CU basketball players that have decommited from the program as Commits. It seems that every other Scout board is dead or on its last legs (ala GU)

ZagNative
05-30-2008, 03:50 PM
I subscribe to both during recruiting season only. pay monthly (well, auto-pay from my Visa, no hassle), so I can cancel any time, which I've done for both, and then resubscribed the next recruiting season.

Scout does not, in my opinion, do as good a job of reporting on Zags' recruits as Rivals does. However, I like the Scout interface a lot better, because it lists all recent articles, whereas in Rivals, you're going to see only the single most recent story listed.

Rivals also does not maintain a Gonzaga team page like Scout does. It does that for only BCS schools (or maybe for smaller schools with very active rivals message boards. To find all Zags prospects in Rivals, you have to use a cumbersome database search that you can't save, so it's kind of time-consuming and annoying.)

Given the choice, I'd take Rivals at $9.95 per month (subscribe only during recruiting season and then cancel), and subscribe to ESPN insider for $34 for the year, which will give you pretty darned good recruit tracking, plus Bilas, Katz, and all the other ESPN stuff, plus home delivery of the magazine. I think their analysis of recruits (done by Scout, Inc.) is really good, though it doesn't cover as many prospects as Scout and Rivals but only the better prospects.

You might want to try Scout and Rivals for the monthly subscription fee for a month and cancel whichever one you don't want before the month is up. I think both of them will give you the month free if you cancel before the free month is up.

Maybe I'll learn something here about work-arounds for the things I find annoying about Rivals - i.e., the absence of a Zags team page and the failure to list all stories about a recruit in one place so I can read back through them all if I want to.

Edited to add: I hate paying Scout a dime! It's owned by Fox Sports now, which is owned by God-knows-which-mega-off-shore corporation, and I think they screwed their site administrators financially, leading a lot of folks, including the refugees here from Scout, to flee. I hate their forums, because you can't, for heaven's sake, do a simple search. This site is so much better than Scout's forum interface, it's pitiful. Scout = the evil ones, and it is only because of a fairly severe character defect that ZN caves a few months a year to stuff their bloated coffers with more revenue.

ZagNative
06-01-2008, 12:18 PM
ZagNut08 pointed out to me that it is possible to see all the stories Rivals carries about a player by clicking the "Update" tab below the player's photo on the left of the player's profile page.

Zagnut agrees that it's maddening that Rivals doesn't a school page for the Zags that lists all the uncommitted players who have the Zags on their school list. I wonder what their reasoning is in not having that feature. At least I haven't been able to figure out a non-cumbersome way to generate that type of list.

(Thanks Zagnut08! And happy upcoming nuptials!)

spudzag
06-01-2008, 02:01 PM
ZN - I'm guess you do this too, but worth mentioning, I use the the "Favorites" feature to set up my own page of players to track.

Under the Database tab I also do an advanced search using Gonzaga to find who has us listed. Not a good substitute for having a "Gonzaga" page, but it works.

ZagNative
06-01-2008, 02:19 PM
ZN - I'm guess you do this too, but worth mentioning, I use the the "Favorites" feature to set up my own page of players to track. I think I have tried that, but I'm going to make another run at it. Thanks!

ZagNative
06-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Spud Rules, I must say!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/EdGrimleyTiny.jpg

(For those as thick as I am, the favorites feature can be accessed from within any player's profile page in Rivals by clicking the light blue link above the player's photo.)

Thanks, Spud!

spudzag
06-01-2008, 04:33 PM
De nada ZN

zagco
06-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Scout is owned by News Corp, but Rivals is owned by Yahoo, which is not exactly a mom-and-pop corner store.

ZagNative
06-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Scout is owned by News Corp, but Rivals is owned by Yahoo, which is not exactly a mom-and-pop corner store.And Yahoo soon to be owned by Microsoft? Or not? And Disney owns ESPN ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/Fish_7762.gif

There are some things we little fish are better off not thinking about ... Well, so long as they don't mess with the search feature on guboards.com, I'm happy. ;) And it's free!!!

chirguy
06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Neither!! I have subscibed to both in the past, but find that this board is sufficiate for me.:)