PDA

View Full Version : Good Pargo Quote in the Seattle PI

theothegreat21
05-29-2008, 10:20 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/365182_sonx30.html

--Gonzaga guard Jeremy Pargo said he'd love to stay in state and play for the Sonics, as long as they select him in the first round of the draft.

"I like Seattle if they use one of those two picks in the first round," a grinning Pargo said. "I don't think I like those second-round picks as much."

Pargo said he's still on the fence about hiring an agent and making his NBA move official or going back to school for another year.

"I'm still in the middle right now. It's really 50-50," he said. "If I feel like I have an opportunity to go in the first round, I'm going to jump on it. But if I feel like the best situation is for me to go back to school that's what I'm going to do."--

It seems like Jeremy is staying very level-headed and making sure he is doing the right thing with the draft process. Best of luck to Jeremy either way he ends up going

Birddog
05-30-2008, 03:35 AM
-Gonzaga guard Jeremy Pargo said he'd love to stay in state and play for the Sonics, as long as they select him in the first round of the draft.

"I like Seattle if they use one of those two picks in the first round," a grinning Pargo said. "I don't think I like those second-round picks as much."

Seems to me that would be temporary at best.

Reborn
05-30-2008, 06:26 AM
It sounds to me like he wants to go to the NBA, but he also sounds like he may not go if he doesn't go in the first round. Pretty good thinking, I believe.

Go Pargo.

Zagalicious
05-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Tell JP, we'd love it for the Sonics to stay in the State too. :p

MDABE80
05-30-2008, 08:38 AM
It's beginning to sound like Jeremy would go to Tazmania if he was their first round pick. The quote says he had a grin while saying it. But it's beginning to sound like he'd go to any one who will pay him and guarantee the money for a few years. Maybe he just simply doesn't want to play at GU next year. Further, if he's relegated to the college ranks, it's beginning to sound as if GU is a distant second to what might make him happy. Could be...as silly as it sounds,.... that Jeremy should move on. Don't want him unhappy at GU. Maybe I've had this all wrong .

As far as skill development goes, move people think he should be with us for another year. ALL signs point to it. BUT.....if the dog won't hunt, it won't hunt. As much as WE would like to keep him, it seems HE has other ideas. I'm not saying he's turning into a money #### for the NBA, but completing college doesn't seem to be on his mind. If we're that "red headed stepchild", it might be time for him to fly. Good kid. Might be this is nothing to worry about. I suppose that when you're in an NBA camp, you talk up the NBA as a goal. I'm getting tired of thinking about this though. One of the old experienced Jesuits I've know since I was 5 yrs old told me that you should "be able to control your own backyard before you move on to somebody else's". Jeremy should understand that. Few will settle it....he always does.

Nevtelen
05-30-2008, 09:11 AM
It's beginning to sound like Jeremy would go to Tazmania if he was their first round pick. The quote says he had a grin while saying it. But it's beginning to sound like he'd go to any one who will pay him and guarantee the money for a few years. Maybe he just simply doesn't want to play at GU next year. Further, if he's relegated to the college ranks, it's beginning to sound as if GU is a distant second to what might make him happy. Could be...as silly as it sounds,.... that Jeremy should move on. Don't want him unhappy at GU. Maybe I've had this all wrong .

As far as skill development goes, move people think he should be with us for another year. ALL signs point to it. BUT.....if the dog won't hunt, it won't hunt. As much as WE would like to keep him, it seems HE has other ideas. I'm not saying he's turning into a money #### for the NBA, but completing college doesn't seem to be on his mind. If we're that "red headed stepchild", it might be time for him to fly. Good kid. Might be this is nothing to worry about. I suppose that when you're in an NBA camp, you talk up the NBA as a goal. I'm getting tired of thinking about this though. One of the old experienced Jesuits I've know since I was 5 yrs old told me that you should "be able to control your own backyard before you move on to somebody else's". Jeremy should understand that. Few will settle it....he always does.

I'm not sure it's fair to read quite that much into it, Abe. He's struggling with a decision about doing something he's clearly wanted to do for most of his life. It's tough for anybody, moreso where there's a big chunk of $$ involved. Best of luck to him with a tough decision. I hope he comes back, but wish him only the best no matter what he decides.

ZagFanatic
05-30-2008, 10:02 AM
The reality is that even the last pick in the first round is guaranteed to make as much money in two years as it would take the rest of us schmos 15-20 years to make in our daily professions. If my son had a guarantee like that, I'd tell him to take it in a heartbeat. Worst case scenario is they spend two years in the league and flame out. Where are you then? Realistically you go overseas and make even more money playing hoops, but to continue with the worst case scenario theme, you go back to school and finish up your degree in a year and enter the work force in some other profession like all the rest of us... except with a $1.5M+ headstart. I see no financial negative to that approach.

It's a no-brainer for a first-round pick opportunity. And that's what Jeremy states he's focused on.

23dpg
05-30-2008, 10:22 AM
If he's a first round guarantee, he should go if that's what he wants. I have zero problem with that and I don't think anyone else should either. Let's not become like Tar Heel Nation who are having an online meltdown over their 3 players testing the waters.

ps. I love Portland, but if someone is going to offer me 3 million dollars to move to Atlanta/San Antonio/Sacramento/anywhere....I'm going.

dpouley
05-30-2008, 10:33 AM
It sounds to me like he wants to go to the NBA, but he also sounds like he may not go if he doesn't go in the first round. Pretty good thinking, I believe.

Go Pargo.

I think he is leaning to the NBA as well. It would be a shame for next years GU team if Pargo left, but if he is guaranteed to be a first round pick then it is hard to look negatively at his decision.

If he does leave, I think it says a lot about GU and their ability to develop NBA caliber players. Two underclassmen in three years, and four first round picks in five or six years. That just continues to build upon the draw that GU has to many high school players.

FuManShoes
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
It's not fair to heap resentment on Jeremy because he wants to play in the NBA sooner than later. And the fact is his situation differs a bit from a guy like Joakim Noah and some other Gators / other blue chips who could go back to school knowing they could compete for a National Championship, not have to worry about feeding their families and still be lottery picks when all was said and done. Jeremy is no lottery pick and GU is no national title contender right now -- sorry, it's true. Get healthy and get a serious inside-outside game and I'll change my tune. Anyhow, Jeremy is playing to get into the guaranteed money of the first round so he doesn't have to sweat it on draft day next year. If he can lock that up this year, it's better than risking injury or regresson next season and then having it all ride on workouts and draft day. You cannot blame him or resent him for taking this approach, because it's the fiscally responsible thing to do for someone training and dreaming of being a pro ball player who realistically is not among the truly elite players who have the luxury of picking their spots and sitting on (the promise of) guaranteed money in next year's draft.

MickMick
05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Jeremy will be back.

MDABE80
05-30-2008, 06:59 PM
He's a good boy. Good kids have hopes and dreams. Mick summarizes it best. He'll be back:)

GonzagaLove
05-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I see it like Abe does. Pargo sounds like he wants to move on. I can't say I blame him. I was ready to move on at the end of my college career, too. Although, my fourth year of dental school I drank more beer than the previous three years combined. :)

MDABE80
05-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Well yes GLove...but you'd been prepared by the Dr Boyne building. Gibsons down the street too as I recall;)

MedZag
05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
If he does leave, I think it says a lot about GU and their ability to develop NBA caliber players. Two underclassmen in three years, and four first round picks in five or six years. That just continues to build upon the draw that GU has to many high school players.

Exactly. Very few have focused on how Jeremy leaving would be another selling point for the program. They would have taken another player with NBA potential and developed him into an NBA draft pick, just what every recruit wants to see.

BroncoZAG615
05-31-2008, 07:51 AM
It's a two way street because if Jeremy returns he will be leading one of the most dangerous teams in the nation on the floor every night. Jeremy is not the type of player who "peaks in his junior season and has nowhere to go but down". Players like that rely on perimeter shooting. Jeremy has nowhere to go but up. He drives the lane as good as anyone else and with one more year on an excellent team who knows how far up Jeremy can go. If this team realizes its potential and Jeremy is the figurehead, he could be looking at a VERY high draft pick as the guard selection for next year is young and inexperienced for the most part.

You can't question him if the first round is there and Jeremy knows that and will make the right decision. It's going to be a long 26 days leading up to the draft for Pargo as he'll make a bunch of visits.

We've got some more thoughts here (http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/)

gamagin
05-31-2008, 08:44 AM
good judgement says he should not only finish his education, but his eligibility, too, in order to graduate and improve his chances not just in basketball, but in life as well.

His brother, his coach(es), those watching him perform, sports analysts most of us respect (like Katz) and just about everyone except JP thinks his best option is to continue the learning process and sharpen his considerable skills.

So what do you say to a fellow accused of too many judgement errors on the court that he may not be using particularly good judgement in this very important, life altering, situation ?

I say listen to those you trust. Listen to your brother and your mother, Coach Few and those who have helped you, been honest to you and with you.

They have all pretty much said you are a work in progress, not the finished product yet.

I agree with them. All those who will patiently turn you into a patient, well rounded superstar are there to help you realize it all. Listen to them. Let them.

Don't lose
Your head
To gain a minute
You need your head
Your brains are in it.

-Burma Shave roadside advertisement