PDA

View Full Version : Likely 1st-round foes in NCAA Tourney

BobZag
03-07-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm going to assume Gonzaga receives a seed from 10 to 12. It seems to be the consensus among Lunardi, etc. Here are most of the teams GU would play--

Vandy
Mich. State
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Tennessee
Marquette
Oregon
Creighton
Kentucky
USC
Maryland
Notre Dame
Boston College
BYU

Others such as Arizona, Air Force and Villanova could sneak into that group.

I think the Zags will be playing one of the above in Round One.

sharpzag
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't think any of those teams are going to be too happy about playing Gonzaga in round 1.

zagster318
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm going to assume Gonzaga receives a seed from 10 to 12. It seems to be the consensus among Lunardi, etc. Here are most of the teams GU would play--

Vandy
Mich. State
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Tennessee
Marquette
Oregon
Creighton
Kentucky
USC
Maryland
Notre Dame
Boston College
BYU

I feel okay about our chances against most of those teams, with the exception of Maryland, Notre Dame, and Tennessee.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
I'd prefer the Zags not draw Maryland or BC in the first round as these two are, imo, the most dangerous of the teams mentioned by BZ. Hope we avoid Marquette and Creighton for as long as possible because I root for all the Jesuit schools ....I'd love to knock out Notre Dame in the first round and introduce that institution to the concept of humility.

HillBillyZag
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I would love to play Kentucky or Louisville. Respect Tubby and luv Rick P., but would love to hang an "L" on either.

gonza
03-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Quick question .....
Long ago it became apparent that the Zags would not be seeded high enough to stay in the Spokane pod as a top seed, but what are their chances of playing here as a 12 seed?
Maybe it's too early to put the tickets on e-bay ???

siliconzag
03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I'd prefer the Zags not draw Maryland or BC in the first round as these two are, imo, the most dangerous of the teams mentioned by BZ. Hope we avoid Marquette and Creighton for as long as possible because I root for all the Jesuit schools ....I'd love to knock out Notre Dame in the first round and introduce that institution to the concept of humility.

Also not the Salukis. They play a Butleresque, slow it down, take 28 seconds to shoot game. They would be a tough match up. Also you gotta make sure all the guys are immunized. They bite. Nasty buggers. I wish that Gonzaga and Creighton would meet in the finals.

Sili

lothar98zag
03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Quick question .....
Long ago it became apparent that the Zags would not be seeded high enough to stay in the Spokane pod as a top seed, but what are their chances of playing here as a 12 seed?
Maybe it's too early to put the tickets on e-bay ???
GU as a 12 seed in Spokane = 0% chance

By NCAA seeding rules it is technically possible that GU could play in Spokane as 11 seed (or better) but the odds of that happening are slim to none.

UberZagFan
03-07-2007, 12:18 PM
GU as a 12 seed in Spokane = 0% chance

By NCAA seeding rules it is technically possible that GU could play in Spokane as 11 seed (or better) but the odds of that happening are slim to none.
Thank you Lothar for beating me to the response. And nice choice of words, too.
:D

Zags4life
03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
I posted a few weeks ago that S. Ill. was the team I'd absolutely be least excited to face in round one. Of the others on BZ's list, I'd like to avoid (for the same reasons as the Salukis) MSU, UK, USC, and Maryland. I haven't looked up the defensive efficiency stats lately, but based on watching lots of games those teams strike me as the least favorable match-ups. Probably Louisville too, if only for Pitino's ability to gameplan with sufficient time.

Tennesee or Oregon, however, would be just about perfect. Like most of our previous double-digit seeded Zag teams, this one confounds the prevailing view that a high-tempo, low-defensive-pressure BCS team would cause us problems.

kylasdad
03-07-2007, 01:08 PM
as a BYU grad I would love to see BYU, as the Brother in law of a Kentucky Redneck, I would love to see UK or Louisville.

Outraged
03-07-2007, 06:19 PM
We've played pretty much anyone anywhere. The opponent does not matter. All schools are our caliber. All places are our arena. We just need to maintain heart, diligence, and execution for the next five games.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-07-2007, 06:48 PM
We've played pretty much anyone anywhere. The opponent does not matter. All schools are our caliber. All places are our arena. We just need to maintain heart, diligence, and execution for the next five games.

so do we have no shot in the national title game? only maintain that heart diligence and execution for the first five games of the tourney? :)

Rubbadub
03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
why exactly did david burgess transfer from BYU? did he get much pt there?

Ghost
03-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Playing anyone but Maryland, BC, and Tennessee would be great

GonzagaLove
03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I have always feared the Creighton vs. GU matchup. I went to Creighton for dental school after graduation from GU. Even though I am a third generation Bluejay, I could never really bring myself to pull for any team but the Zags. Most of my dental school friends attended Creighton for undergrad and were diehard Bluejay fans. It really irritated them that I didn't jump on the Creighton bandwagon. I guess I just didn't want GU to share the spotlight. Needless to say, there was a lot of smack talk between me and my friends about who would win if the two teams ever played. I don't think I could handle the stress of that matchup and I could never live down a loss.

McZag
03-08-2007, 05:09 AM
We struggled against them in an early season tourney a couple years ago and they are on a tear this year. They have wins over Duke, Pitt, and West Virginia. They also know how to win close games, 10 of their W's were decided by 10 points or less.

I'm fine with anyone else. Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee - bring all that stuff on!!!!

TexasZagFan
03-08-2007, 06:14 AM

Vandy
Mich. State
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Tennessee
Marquette
Oregon
Creighton
Kentucky
USC
Maryland
Notre Dame
Boston College
BYU

...we don't match up with any of those teams. We're one-and-done for sure. :lmao:

I'm thrilled for my daughter: her UNT "Mean Green" are dancin' for the first time in 19 years. That lil' ole school in Denton (current enrollment 35,000+) also hired a new football coach, and there's great optimism for the future.

Remember the name of their new FB coach: Todd Dodge. He'll be a BCS head coach within the next few years. He's an offensive genius, and his record at Southlake Carroll was 79-1 during his five years. The one loss was in the state championship game a few years ago, and they lost that game by a single point.

Ikancagin
03-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Hey, maybe Oregon can't duck us anymore. I'm sure Don Munson would go.

TuckC
03-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Vandy*
Mich. State*
Virginia Tech*
Louisville*
Tennessee*
Marquette
Oregon*
Creighton*
Kentucky
USC*
Maryland
Notre Dame*
Boston College*
BYU*

*= Teams Gonzaga can easily beat. I dunno about Marquette, Kentucky, and Maryland.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZag http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=11962#post11962)

Vandy*
Mich. State*
Virginia Tech*
Louisville*
Tennessee*
Marquette
Oregon*
Creighton*
Kentucky
USC*
Maryland
Notre Dame*
Boston College*
BYU*

*= Teams Gonzaga can easily beat. I dunno about Marquette, Kentucky, and Maryland.

BC = not an easy win.
Creighton = not an easy win.

Actually nearly every single team you call easy wins are far from it.

TuckC
03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
BC- Very inconsistent. They are likely one of the worser teems getting in because of their Conference.

Creighton- Upset in Championship. Wasn't supposed to even be in.