PDA

View Full Version : Gaddy re-opened officially

MississppiZag
05-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Abdul Gaddy has officially re-opened. Once again i do not have a subscription to Scout.com, so i could really use some help right about now.:D
Please!!!

Avery Bradley apart of the plan to attend the same college. I'm not sure if this is such great news, but atleast we got a chance?

MississppiZag
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Hate to ask again, but a little help ZN?

ZagNative
05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Link to subscription Scout story (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/758324.html).

Gaddy says (bolding added for emphasis):

He was comfortable with the coaching staff but then there was a change and he really didn't know the new guys that well.

Arizona' still his front-runner, but he's going to open it up to eight schools: USC, Oregon, Washington, Gonzaga, Arizona, Memphis, Texas and Kansas.

He wants to go as a package deal with Avery Bradley.

Bradley is quoted as being excited at the prospect of playing with his best friend.

Pastner was one of the driving forces behind Gaddy's commitment, and the fact he's not there anymore factored into his decision. He also cited a good relationship with Josh Pastner, Kevin O’Neill and Miles Simon. He doesn't know the new guys.

Gaddy is ranked No. 9 in the Class of 2009 while Bradley is No. 36 (and rising).

They want to pick a chool they can both play for right away when they get there, and if they can't play together at the same time, they won't have that school on their list. Bradley said UCLA is “definitely” on his list. Gonzaga and Oregon, two programs Gaddy listed, have shooting guard depth that may prevent Bradley from looking their way.

All of the schools on their lists are not identical, BTW.

Edited to add: Thanks for the early flag on that one, MZ! I'm happy to justify my (temporary - recruiting-season-only) Scout subscription for you anytime.

MickMick
05-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Package deals rarely happen.

Wiilie Warren and Rotnei Clarke were every bit as determined to play together. Now one is headed to Arkansas and the other to Oklahoma.

If I were a betting man, I would bet on Bradley and Gaddy not ending up at the same place. The outside pressures will be relentless.

ZagNative
05-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Agreed, Mick, especially when part of the deal is that the two freshmen want to be sure they get a lot of time to play, as freshman, on the floor at the same time.

I think this may be the type of situation Few's quote in your signature line comes into play.

23dpg
05-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Big time scoop by BobZag. I wonder if I'll see any retractions on some of the other sites?

MississppiZag
05-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm over Avery Bradley, but do we really even have a shot to lure Abdul Gaddy away from the others on his list?

BroncoZAG615
05-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm over Avery Bradley, but do we really even have a shot to lure Abdul Gaddy away from the others on his list?

Why?

If Gaddy and Bradley decide on Gonzaga I hope we're not over Bradley. I'll take outstanding guards any day of the week.

Its a longshot, but it's still a shot.

MississppiZag
05-29-2008, 08:02 PM
I didn't mean to sound like i don't like the kid. i just don't see any scenario where he comes to GU. No way will we get both of them. AB has already taken us off of his list. We will be lucky to land Gaddy, much less both of them, IMO.

CDC84
05-29-2008, 08:06 PM
While I am as skeptical about packaged deals as the next person, keep in mind that these are high school teammates as opposed to AAU teammates (like Warren and Clarke). It's different.

BroncoZAG615
05-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I agree with CDC. These kids are best friends, have grown up on the same court and have done everything together.

Now that they are a package deal, I think Gaddy is going to have some major pull in deciding where Bradley goes. Gaddy is the prize here. I would bet solid money that the school is going to be on the West side.

I would guess either Arizona, Washington, or Gonzaga. Usually kids that decommit from out of state schools do it because their is so much pull to stay in state.

GorgeZag
05-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Will be interesting to see who has/makes room for these guys. Would Few drop people to get these two? Would he commit two more spots in '09 to guards/wings? My guess would be no.

MickMick
05-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Big time scoop by BobZag. I wonder if I'll see any retractions on some of the other sites?

BobZag will simply not write it unless he gets it from a credible source. He is well connected and reliable.

ZagMania
05-30-2008, 04:38 AM
I love how this was posted here days before even the Arizona message boards had a peep about it. This is such a great site and resource of information, just wanted to say thanks to BZ and all the mods.

Now, it kills me to say this but the Arop verbal looks like it was ill timed. I just have this feeling that if that hadn't happened we'd have a really great chance to get them both.

BobZag
05-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Arop is really good. So is Bradley. But one never knows how things will turn out. Gaddy could visit with Mangisto and hit it off and see he and Arop as a dynamic duo. Bring in Honeycutt, too, and you never know. That's a potent 1, 2, 3, as good as anybody.

Few, Giacoletti, Lloyd, Rice, they will give this all they can. If Gaddy lands elsewhere, it won't be for lack of effort by the GU staff.

ZagNative
05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
If we got both Gaddy and Bradley, as well as Honneycutt:
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2008-05-301RecruitswithGaddyandBrad.jpg

Hmmm. The one thing everyone seems to have agreed this team needed is a powerful post presence in the '09 class.

Does the staff start thinking maybe they should throw in the towel on Kong if the visa issues aren't resolved pronto? Can they afford to risk having a scholie sit vacant or contemplate a sit-out year - in any event, a vacant spot for a year?

BobZag
05-30-2008, 09:47 AM
No, Kong is the real deal. If his Visa issues can't be resolved, then maybe, but I hear they will be soon.

Zags like Gaddy. They'll pursue Gaddy. Team him up with Mangisto on a visit and hope for the best.

Every year there are "package deals" talked about by kids. I don't take them seriously. Each kid is different, each school is different, not even the Stewart twins could stay together for 3 years in college. It can happen, but it's rare.

I'd love for Abdul to be a Zag, but if I lived in Vegas, my nickel would go on Roy Williams and John Calipari, with Ben Howland as my darkhorse.

DoggieDogpound
05-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Another excellent chart ZagNative. You are correct about the glaring need for a post presence - hopefully Burton and/or Dower.

Avery Bradley is actually a guard.
LG is not listed - did I miss something about him transfering?
I hope BZ is correct in his hope that Gaddy will click with Arop.

ZagNative
05-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Excellent eye about Bradley, Doggie. I realized that after the fact. We'll see if I can sneak in and fix that so no one's the wiser and people will just think DoggieDogpound's back on the sauce again. ;)

It's been pretty well accepted that LG is transferring. No official announcement yet, but ...

We're left in limbo until the announcement, but it seems pretty clear this is the way things are shaking out.

spudzag
05-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't profess to be anything other than an armchair recruiter but taking both Gaddy and Bradley makes no sense. It would be a team of teams and wings. Gaddy okay, but we really really NEED 2 BIGS in the 09 class. Having only Sacre, Poling and Foster is just not enough even if all three have it together at that point.

Rangerzag
05-30-2008, 04:54 PM
if I lived in Vegas, my nickel would go on Roy Williams and John Calipari, with Ben Howland as my darkhorse.

BZ has been my hero since day one.

The legend only grows!!

Who else does anyone here know that can still find a nickel bet in Vegas :jk: ;)

spudzag
05-30-2008, 06:23 PM
ESPN reports today;

Bradley lists USC, UCLA, Texas, Memphis and Arizona as his favorite schools and hopes to visit them all by the end of the summer.

Looks a lot like Gaddy's list and anything close to "in-state" is certainly missing.