PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Recruit Tracker: Honeycutt at the Rumble in the Bay

ZagNative
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh, oh. Tyler's starting to get glamor boy photo ops ... Things are heating up.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Honeycutt/recruit_honeycutt_580.jpg

From ESPN Recruit Tracker (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3415255&campaign=rsssrch&source=recruiting):

Honeycutt showcases Austin Daye-type skills at Bay Area tourney
By Joel Francisco
Scouts Inc.

ANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The 7th Annual Patrick Dennehy Memorial Rumble in the Bay didn't have an abundance of talent, but it's always a worthwhile stop on the recruiting circuit. This year's event, like many before it, served as a coming-out party for unknown commodities -- 6-foot-9 junior Eric Hutchinson (Kalama, Wash./ Mark Morris) comes immediately to mind -- and young standouts, like 6-foot freshman Josiah Turner (Rancho Cordova, Calif./ Cordova) who made a lasting impression among scouts and fans alike.

In addition, Gerry Freitas and Nelson Washington, the event's co-directors, always do an outstanding job of providing accurate rosters and a well-organized schedules. Also, most of the games are held at one of the top facilities on the West Coast at the Leavey Center on the campus of Santa Clara University.

By the time the final buzzer sounded a Renardo Sidney-led L.A. Dream team would go back-to-back, defeating a well-schooled and feisty Yakima Elite squad 71-63. Sidney wasn't the only standout for the Dream; six-foot-6 junior Kawhi Leonard (Riverside, Calif./ Martin Luther King), 6-1 junior Eric Lawton (Hemet, Calif./ West Valley), and 5-8 junior Dominique O'Connor (Los Angeles/ Westchester) would turn in solid performances as well.

Standout Players

Tyler Honeycutt (6-7, 180)
Junior, Sylmar, Calif.
If Honeycutt continues to progress at this rate, he may turn out to be the No. 1 wing in the Class of 2009 on the West Coast. He appears to be taller each time out and is quickly approaching 6-8. He has that Austin Daye feel to him at this stage, and he is nowhere near reaching his potential. His jump shot has become much more consistent this spring and his passing continues to amaze me each time out. Whom he guards at the next level is still in question, but offensively he has high-major tools.

BobZag
05-29-2008, 05:05 PM
This is the guy I feel Gonzaga needs to take Daye's place. UCLA's writers are lobbying Howland to offer him. If that happens, it could be curtains for GU's chances in which case: Hello Solomon Hill.

Other than Burton and either Bak or Dower, Honeycutt is Priority #1.

Reborn
05-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I just saw this Yakima Elite play last weekend here in Yakima. It's a very good team.

Speak of Yakima Elite. We have a group of incoming Freshmen, who are one of the top AAU teams in the country. This group of athletes, 2 or 3 of them, are in the same class as the Bellermine boys. I hope Few is aware of them and I am sure he is. There are two kids already 6'2" who are combo guards/wings. Theyre as good as any athletes I've seen at this age.

The biggest problem that I see with these kids is that love football two. Sound familiar?

75Zag
05-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Seems like Honeycutt has moved from unknown prospect to potential elite recruit in the past three months. I have a bad feeling that he is now more likely to land at UCLA, UConn, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. than at E 502 Boone Avenue.