PDA

View Full Version : OT: Inverse relationship for NBA viewership and tattoo's?

former1dog
05-29-2008, 10:27 AM
The author of this article thinks so.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8187914/In-NBA-playoffs%2C-less-ink-means-more-viewers

Mods, move as you see fit.

cjm720
05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
I think this guy has a point about tattoos and viewership. Pesonally, the NBA looks like a bunch of thugs half the time and the tattoos are a big part of that. I dislikie the NBA's image.

As far as high ratings in this year's conference championships, I don't buy that they have anything to do with less tattoos on the teams. The best four teams in the league are playing the butts off and what an entertaining thought to have a rematch of Boston and Lakers. That's what keeps me interested.

MickMick
05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Last season, the NBA finals had thier marquee star in Lebron James on display, yet failed to draw more viewers than a rerun of the Simpsons.

Many fans that could identify with Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Michael Jordan cannot identify with the current game or the players. For me, the beginning of the end was Dennis Rodman. In my view, the league has taken a steady downward spiral with respect to public image ever since.

Zagpower
05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I do think the problem is the public not relating to the players but I think tats play a very small part in that. I think a bigger issue has been the influx of foreign players that I believe has helped the game but hurts it's ability to capture the interest of regular fans in the US. The public knows nothing about these players since they didn't go to college or even high school here and most casual fans can't even pronounce their names correctly.

Fans are far more interested in the tatooed players like Kobe, LeBron, Shaq, Garnett, Iverson, Paul, Deron Williams, and Wade but show very little interest in players like Nowitzki, Ginobilli, Kirilenko, Okur, Radmanovich, Gasol, Stojakovic,Bargnani, Darko, Oberto, Scola, Jaric, Nene, Verajao, Yi, Biedrins, Ilgauskus, Brezec, Nachbar, Nesterovic, Udrih, Sefalosha, even Yao Ming.

Just to be clear, I think the influx of foreign players has improved the style and quality of play in the NBA. However, The result has been an increase in poularity outside the US and a decrease here as the NBA has not been able to successfully market the foreign players to the US fans.

CelticZag
05-29-2008, 01:04 PM
What is this, 1950?

duper
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
The problem with the NBA is not tattoos and not overseas players. IMO the problem is they don't play BASKETBALL! It is some mutation designed to produce ESPN highlight footage. Most college basketball fans love to see thier team get a dunk and I love to see Pargo slam one home but it is the basketball played in between the dunks that keeps me coming back. The NBA to me is nothing but ten players going 1 on 1 and playing little to no deffense. You can keep it! I haven't been to a Sonic game in 10 yrs and wasn't planning to go anytime soon, don't let the door hit em on the way out.

Gonzdb8
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
The problem with the NBA is not tattoos and not overseas players. IMO the problem is they don't play BASKETBALL! It is some mutation designed to produce ESPN highlight footage. Most college basketball fans love to see thier team get a dunk and I love to see Pargo slam one home but it is the basketball played in between the dunks that keeps me coming back. The NBA to me is nothing but ten players going 1 on 1 and playing little to no deffense. You can keep it! I haven't been to a Sonic game in 10 yrs and wasn't planning to go anytime soon, don't let the door hit em on the way out.

while i can understand not wanting to see a sonics game over the last 10 years i disagree that they don't play D in the nba. you need to watch a few games in this decade before you pass judgment. go watch the rockets, celtics, detroit, san antonio and tell me these teams don't play any D. if anything the D is much tougher and brutal in the NBA because the players are strongers and the rules allow more agressive defense (face guarding for example) but i agree, the college and nba games are different. i appreciate and watch both. but saying the nba is nothing but 10 players playing 1 on 1 offense and absolutely no D is clearly an massive overgeneralization and kind of insulting to a lot of great defensive players in the nba.

roxdoc
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Duper - I totally agree. They don't play basketball, they play some hybrid version that involves walking, little defense, and does nothing for me. I wouldn't walk across the street to see a game if someone gave me a front row ticket! But hey, thats just me.

Viva real (college and for gosh sakes even HS) hoops.

Zagpower
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
A lot of the critiques of the current state of the NBA follow along the lines of:

1) I used to watch the NBA
2) I no longer watch the NBA
3) Here's what's wrong with the NBA today.

The NBA is certainly not thuggery. In fact, it's almost the opposite. If anyone saw Ronny's flagrant in the playoffs they could see the difference. The days of mugging every driver and games that are 78-69 are long gone. The rules have changed.

Also, the defense in the NBA is by far the best of any organized basketball worldwide. If the NBA doesn't play defense, then nobody does. If there is any player in the world that can stop LeBron or Kobe or Wade or Duncan, you can bet they will be instant millionaires even if they can't play any offense.

It's not that the defense is bad, it's more about how good the offensive players are.

Like many of you, I took a hiatus from watching the NBA for several years in the 90's because of the style of play. It has gotten much better and I'm Back as a fan.

former1dog
05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I haven't watched the NBA at all in over a decade.

Because I have been curious about Ronny and the Lakers, I have been watching lately, though.

I have been very, very impressed with the quality of the team play of these top teams, including all 4 teams still in it.

Even Kobe, believe it or not, has been exceedingly team oriented. He has actually been criticized this post season for being to UNselfish.

I would encourage some of the NBA critics to check out a game. Maybe tonight. Keep an open mind, you might be impressed.

The Lakers have been particularly entertaining to watch due to the unselfish play and crisp passing.

ZagMania
05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm watching the playoffs this year although I usually don't, and there is only one reason.

Kevin Garnett. He plays the game with a passion that rivals Adam Morrison's. The typical lack of desire and or caring about whether they win or lose is why I usually don't watch the NBA

Zagpower
05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Zagmania. I thought for sure you were going to say Ronny Turiaf or maybe even Rodney Stuckey who is making a big name for himself in these playoffs.

But I agree, Garnett is a treat to watch.

MickMick
05-29-2008, 05:17 PM
The importance of the regular season game is diluted. In an effort to squeeze every last nickle of revenue out of the sport, they have given us too long of a season and too many games.

Simple math really. The more games there are, the less significant each individual game is. If the game isn't that important, then the fans will place less importance on the regular season game. Lose fans in the regular season and you will have less consumer interest in the post season. Further, you damage the ability to lure in next generation fans as well.

I believe that if the number of regular season games were cut by 50-60%, you would see much more interest in the remaining games. Further, they would take on more significance with the players.....elevating the intensity and quality of play.

duper
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
The league handy caps the defense at every turn and protects it's stars. These are some of the greatest athletes in the world playing against other great athletes the O and D should be on equal ground. College constantly out draws NBA for TV viewership why is that? IMO the best players playing a dilluted game, can't compete with a great game played by good blayers.

ZagMania
05-30-2008, 04:23 AM
Zagmania. I thought for sure you were going to say Ronny Turiaf or maybe even Rodney Stuckey who is making a big name for himself in these playoffs.

But I agree, Garnett is a treat to watch.

Yeah, I'd love to see Ronny get more time though, and Stuckey has been tremendous to watch as well. But just knowing that Garnett has a shot at the title after their tremendous start to the season is what peaked my interest in the NBA this year.