PDA

View Full Version : Pargo will play in Pre-draft camp

theothegreat21
05-26-2008, 11:52 AM
According to Jim Meehan he will be participating in the camp that starts tomorrow.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/

LAZAGFAN11
05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
12 point guards entered. Only 6 teams.

TEAM ONE:

Ty Lawson
Jeremy Pargo
Bill Walker
Richard Roby
Jerel McNeal
Danny Green
Richard Hendrix
Kentrell Gransberry
Patrick Ewing Jr
Nathan Jawai
Trent Plaisted

theothegreat21
05-26-2008, 01:25 PM
That team that you listed is not the official team, but it is a projected roster based on the 2007 teams from draftexpress.com

The official teams and participants should be released at some point later today

BobZag
05-26-2008, 01:56 PM
To me, this just about insures Jeremy will return. He'll learn a lot about his game, what needs improving, what needs to change, his strengths and weaknesses, etc. Scouts, GMs, NBA coaches and Few will all give him feedback. One scout is Jay Hillock. Old Zags will remember Hillock. I'm sure Few will ask a favor of him.

Jeremy, hopefully, will be much improved for his senior year, then go in the First Round a year from now.

TimboZag
05-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Good luck Pargo! No matter what your decision ends up being, I hope you play well.

ZagNative
05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
From the DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Pre-Draft-Camp-Preview,-Projected-Rosters-2688/) story Meehan links in his blog:

Superior facilities, costs and the NBA’s relationship with Disney and its subsidiary ESPN (who televises many of the games on ESPNU) were some of the reasons it moved, to the chagrin of quite a few grumpy NBA executives.
ESPNU! Argh! Well, at least if we want to watch, maybe this time of year the sports bars would be less crowded, so we'd stand a better chance of actually being able to hear the commentary and get a seat closer to the TV screen, especially if they will be televising early in the day.

And this should mean there will be plenty of commentary available to read online about JP's performance.

Numerous national media types, international coaches and GMs, and many other basketball personalities will also be present. DraftExpress will be attending the event for the fifth straight year.

BobZag
05-26-2008, 03:03 PM
BZ <------ glad he switched to Dish! :D

theothegreat21
05-26-2008, 03:25 PM
NBA TV will be showing live games from this camp on Thursday and Friday, so that should give many of us an opportunity to watch Jeremy and others

ZagNative
05-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Theo! You are THE MAN! ZN and dogtownkid will have no need to stumble from bar to bar looking an open seat in a Zag-frienly venue.

More interesting stuff from that Draft-express story, from the portion describing the '07 guys who were at the pre-draft camp, stayed in the draft, and went undrafted despite excellent play there.

Coby Karl (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Coby-Karl-1254/):
Orlando Pre-Draft Camp: Final Recap
June 4, 2007
One of the best stories at this pre-draft camp any way you slice it, Coby Karl came in here determined to show that he is a lot more than that. If there was one name on the invite list that people would scrutinize due to his father’s obvious NBA connections and the fact that he already played here (poorly, besides the last day) last year—its Coby Karl. With all that off our chest, we can say with full confidence that Karl not only deserved his invite, but he was also one of the best players in attendance as his spot on this list would indicate. What makes this fact even more surprising is the fact that he is coming off (his second) throat cancer surgery just 2 months ago—meaning he probably isn’t even at 100&#37;.

Even though he played extremely well here, it would be surprising to see Karl getting drafted. His combination of size and athleticism is just average for a player who isn’t quite a point guard at 6-4. On the defensive end is where he’d probably struggle the most, but it wouldn’t shock to see him get a solid look in summer league, if the Nuggets don’t just snatch him up. Although most people would raise eyebrows at Coach Karl signing his son to a free agent deal (how exactly would they be able to cut him is anyone’s guess…), he does actually fill somewhat of a need with his passing and perimeter shooting skills. If all else fails, there is likely an excellent paycheck waiting for him overseas. He stayed in the draft, but went undrafted. He was a senior, not a junior like Jeremy, so a return to school wasn't an option.

Follow up on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coby_Karl):

Karl was not drafted by an NBA team, but made the Lakers' 15-man roster as a free agent. Karl made his NBA debut on October 30, 2007, with the Lakers vs. the Houston Rockets, playing 37 seconds and registering no statistics.

Karl was assigned to the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA Development League on November 28, 2007.

Karl was reassigned to the Los Angeles D-Fenders on February 14, 2008.

Karl was then recalled from the Los Angeles D-Fenders on February 20, 2008.He hasn't set the world on fire for the Lakers, but he may just have himself a NBA championship ring coming out of his first year as a pro, and he's on the roster at $427,163. He's going to be a free agent, along with Ronny, who's currently making $770,610 (per Hoopshype (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm)). The history with cancer definitely would seem to make him an unknown quantity as far as a guaranteed contract goes, but he's nevertheless a success story of sorts, at least for now.

theothegreat21
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Just a little follow up, but on NBA TV it will be shown from 9:00 AM- 12:00 on both Thursday and Friday.

The official rosters and teams were supposed to be announced today but I cant seem to find them anywhere.

ZagNative
05-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Anybody else surprised at this (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080526/SPORTS06/805260335/1032/SPORTSFRONT)?

The private team workouts will be especially crucial because Low was not one of 65 prospects invited to the NBA's Pre-Draft camp, which starts tomorrow in Orlando, Fla., and runs through Friday. Low's father, Ken, said only 29 of the players invited to the camp were college seniors; the rest are early entries or foreign players.Good luck to Derrick. I really liked this kid.

One of my favorite pics, from December '06:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pargo/Jeremy-WSU06-GuardedbyDerrickLow.jpg

Reborn
05-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Great pic ZN. That was a great match up for sure. One that neithr really won, imo. The picture makes my heart yearn for the Cougs vs Zags game next year. It's there I believe, but it'll be a great test for our experienced team in a new season. Ive got the Zags in this one, but I'm sure it'll be close.

I also wish Jeremy the best luck at the camp. I'm glad to see him get the invite. Show how good he really is. I look to see him very confident next year.

MDABE80
05-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I liked Low as well. His streaky shooting was bad. Hope this is corrected as he really is a smart ball player. He can run a team, handle the ball well and all other things too. It's that up and down unpredictable shooting:(

ZagNative
05-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Here is the list for the 2008 pre-draft camp from DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-NBA-Pre-Draft-Camp-Rosters-and-Physical-Only-Invites-2897/).

008 Pre-Draft Camp Participant List

Ramel Bradley
Tyrone Brazelton
Takais Brown
Keith Brumbaugh
Stanley Burrell
Brian Butch
Jamar Butler
Pat Calathes
Joe Crawford
Chris Daniels
Joey Dorsey
Marcus Dove
Josh Duncan
Frank Elegar
Wayne Ellington
Patrick Ewing Jr
Gary Forbes
Shan Foster
J.R. Giddens
James Gist
Vladimir Golubovic
Kentrell Gransberry
Danny Green
Malik Hairston
DeVon Hardin
Richard Hendrix
George Hill
Kyle Hines
Jiri Hubalek
Lester Hudson
Othello Hunter
Darnell Jackson
Shawn James
Davon Jefferson
Joseph Jones
Sasha Kaun
Marcelus Kemp
Ty Lawson
Maarty Leunen
Longar Longar
Aleks Maric
James Mays
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Drew Neitzel
DeMarcus Nelson
David Padgett
Jeremy Pargo
Trent Plaisted
Quan Prowell
Shaun Pruitt
Charles Rhodes
John Riek
Brian Roberts
Russell Robinson
Richard Roby
Sean Singletary
Ron Steele
Bryce Taylor
Mike Taylor
Mark Tyndale
Robert Vaden
Deron Washington
Sonny Weems
Reggie Williams

MississppiZag
05-27-2008, 07:15 AM
ZN, do you know what Jamont Gordon is doing. I saw that he is not participating in the camp, but is he going to stay in the draft? I live pretty close to MSU's campus, and i was just wondering if you knew if he was staying or leaving?

If you know anything please let me know:D

ZagNative
05-27-2008, 07:26 AM
No clue at all here about Jamont Gordon.

heavyzag
05-27-2008, 07:59 AM
UCLA's Mbah a Moute was another name underclassman willing to participate. Mbah a Moute could easily play himself into the second round with a strong performance and decide not to return to school. Gonzaga junior point Pargo, brother of New Orleans guard Jannero Pargo, is playing in the hope that he can crack the first round, if not get some sort of guarantee in the second round.

Sad to see but I believe he has played his last game in a Zag uni

ZagNative
05-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Link to Andy Katz Blog HeavyZag quoted from is here (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=katz_andy&entryDate=20080527&action=login&appRedirect=http&#37;3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dkatz_andy%26entryDate%3d 20080527).

The list showing those who will be participating fully in the camp is free. There are specific comments in the subscription only part, including the following, for the benefit of MississippiZag:

Underclassmen who haven't signed with an agent and aren't playing or on the physical-only list are: Kansas junior Mario Chalmers, Kansas State redshirt freshman Bill Walker, Florida sophomore Marreese Speights, Cal sophomore Ryan Anderson, NC State freshman J.J. Hickson, Arizona sophomore Chase Budinger, Mississippi State junior Jamont Gordon, BYU junior Lee Cummard and Texas junior A.J. Abrams.

The NBA didn't offer specific reasons why certain players won't play. The most likely scenario for this crew is that a number of them declined invitations. It's possible the last few were not invited. It's hard to project what these nine players are going to do, but the decisions not to play by Walker, Chalmers, Speights, Hickson and Budinger can't be good signs they will go back to college.

MississppiZag
05-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it ZN.

theothegreat21
05-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Here is a little more from draftexpress Mississippi

This year's nominations for the "what in the world are you thinking" award goes to Jamont Gordon, a player who might not even get drafted, but due to some type of delusion of grandeur decided to pull out of the camp.

MississppiZag
05-27-2008, 08:57 AM
THEO, I saw that on draftexpress, but i was not sure what it really meant. I know he dropped out of the camp, but does it mean that he is going to stay in the draft. They are calling it a bad decision that he dropped out, but stayed in the draft? I'm not really sure what they are questioning:confused:

ZagNative
05-27-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't recall seeing a list of which players were invited. Has anyone else seen a complete list of invitees and can provide a link? I'm not saying the list of players to whom invitations were sent was not published, just that I don't recall seeing it. All I've seen is predictions about who would participate, and the only way I've known who wasn't invited (such as Derrick Low) was because the player said so in published stories.

Unless DraftExpress actually has a list of guys who received invitations or has actual knowledge Gordon was invited but declined, it seems unfair to slam Gordon for having delusions of grandeur for pulling out, whereas he may just not have been invited in the first place, like Low.

MDABE80
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't have Insider but I hope Jeremy thinks twice before he decides to jump....although it sounds like the ball's in the NBA's court for now. It doesn't sound like it's a big bowl of peaches to be in with that crowd this season ....especially when you're marginal compared to the others. Next season makes a lot more sense for Jeremy. He's an AA to begin the year so all eyes would be on him. Moreso because all those fancy guards are heading for the NBA this year. No reason to have your hat in your hand THIS year when you could be pretty special NEXT year. He needs development work. But then again, what youngster listens anymore? I mean afterall......he's been on TV already............yuk:(

ZagNative
05-27-2008, 10:47 AM
On the other hand, Abe, I wonder if it gives Jeremy pause that, according to Derrick Low's father in the story linked above,

Low's father, Ken, said only 29 of the players invited to the camp were college seniors; the rest are early entries or foreign players.Just wondering whether being a senior sets up a bias among the NBA execs who determine who gets invited to the predraft camp, i.e., "If you were any good, you'd already be gone before your senior year ..." Or who dismiss a kid who performed poorly at the previous year's pre-draft camp and so don't give him a second shot at the next year's camp, thereby implying he's not worth a look in the senior year draft.

Just wondering ... Glad I'm not in Jeremy's shoes, having to make such an important decision ...

cjm720
05-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I've been waiting for comparison of Jeremy Pargo to Nate Robinson. They are very similar type players and are in similar situations (alhtough I think Nate Rob first went to a summer camps when he was a sophomore to set himself up for early departure as a junior). Nate entered knowing that he'd likely be a Round 2 selection but was settled in his decision. He astonishinglm however, was a Round 1 choice. This was remarkable at the time, because no one thought he was a first round selection.

Is Pargo in a similar of a situation?

zagmantis2001
05-27-2008, 11:31 AM
The same thing happened to Brandon Armstrong a few years back from Pepperdine. I believe that he was considered to be a second-rounder to undrafted, but played well in the camps. He ended up staying in the draft and ended up in the first round. I think he initially went to Detroit and ended up in New Jersey?

In any event, his play got him a first round gig. He didn't stick in the league, but he got his shot.

sittingon50
05-27-2008, 11:31 AM
for itself. The Knicks knew what they were doing with Nate; they really got it goin' on.

LongIslandZagFan
05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Nice... you had to bring up the Knicks.

:explode::enraged:http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/banghead.gif

Just the thought of how bad they were last year makes me want to:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/eatdrink048.gif

bigblahla
05-28-2008, 04:47 AM
What's the hurry?

In reading the posts I've read and I would agree that Jeremy is a first rounder next year barring injury and let's face it the guys a horse he plays through injuries. So why now?

Is it the money?

He has a chance to leave a legacy at GU of being a team leader who took the Zags to the promised land or he can just leave and there isn't much in between. If he goes now we'll all still love him but it would be like watching a four act play and missing the ending.

Sorry, Jeremy stay man, you'll get yours but you have a team and the entire GU nation wanting you to come back and lead us your senior year. Man-up and lead us to the promise land.

Just My Opinion!

Go!! Zags!!!

StocktonIsMyHero
05-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Sorry, Jeremy stay man, you'll get yours but you have a team and the entire GU nation wanting you to come back and lead us your senior year. Man-up and lead us to the promise land.

Sorry man, I've got to disagree on this one. Jeremy doesn't owe Zag fans a single thing. If he feels like now is the right time for him to take advantage of his God-given skills and start playing basketball professionally, then more power to him.

I think it's very disingenuous for people here to tell him that it would be a mistake for him to stay in the draft. Just be honest and say that you want him to play for GU next year because you think he would help win games. But don't break out the salary scale and talk about other point guards in the draft and all that. We all know there are no guarantees in this world--just look Roy Hibbert. The general consensus was that he would be the #1 or #2 pick if he returned to college for one more year, and he did. But then he got exposed his senior year, and now he will be drafted lower this year than if he would have just stayed in the draft last year. Not saying that this would happen to Jeremy, but for everyone saying he would definitely be a lottery or even a first round pick, that is very far from a given.

Only Jeremy knows when the right time to step away is, and honestly - maybe he would rather play ball and make money doing it and have some freedom rather than come back and take classes and risk injury and all that. Or maybe he wants to come back and take the Zags to the Final Four. Whatever his decision is, remember: it's HIS decision. And he doesn't owe a single thing to anyone but himself.

LoveMyZags
05-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Sorry man, I've got to disagree on this one. Jeremy doesn't owe Zag fans a single thing. If he feels like now is the right time for him to take advantage of his God-given skills and start playing basketball professionally, then more power to him.

I think it's very disingenuous for people here to tell him that it would be a mistake for him to stay in the draft. Just be honest and say that you want him to stay because you think he would help us win games. But don't break out the salary scale and talk about other point guards in the draft and all that. We all know there are no guarantees in this world-just look Roy Hibbert. The general consensus was that he would be the #1 or #2 pick if he stayed, and he did. But he got exposed a bit his senior year, and now he will be drafted lower this year than if he would have stayed. Not saying that this would happen to Jeremy, but for everyone saying he would definitely be a lottery or even a first round pick, that is very far from a given.

Only Jeremy knows when the right time to step away is, and honestly - maybe he would rather play ball and make money doing it and have some freedom rather than come back and take classes and risk injury and all that. Or maybe he wants to come back and take the Zags to the Final Four. Whatever his decision is, remember: it's HIS decision. And he doesn't owe a single thing to anyone but himself.

I agree with you Stockton...After reading this (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10844747) article about UNC and Ty Lawson, I am in the boat that it's Jeremy's decision, we have to respect it either way. I am sure we all HOPE he comes back. I, for one, love Pargo and the way he leads the team. Maybe he is just getting pointers on how to improve his game to lead GU to the FF and get a better draft position next year, maybe he wants to leave early and start his career. If I was good enough at anything to leave college early and make more in 1 year than most of my class mates ever will I totally would have. We just have to sit back, wait until June 16th to see what happens and be happy for Jeremy either way. He doesn't owe us as fans anything. I do hope he returns as he will have an awesome team, but it is up to him and I am happy for him, whatever he chooses.

zag67
05-28-2008, 08:25 AM
I also agree with Stockton.

Jeremy and any of the other players have to make their own decisions, depending on their circumstances. They owe GU and the fans nothing other than doing their best while they are here. Each of the players have a contract with GU for the year that they play and it is renewable if both parties agree. None of us know whether Jeremy is really enjoying the school part of the year. Many of these boys really do not like or have trouble in school and therefore have to make the decision when it is best for them to make the jump.

MDABE80
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM
All three of the post above (Stocks, Love and 67's) seem fair but all are born of a "straw man" argument. Set forth an issue ( a tainted one) then beat the crap out of it so the author appears correct. Sounds good doesn't it?....not so fast.

Nobody EVER said it's not Jeremy's choice. Nobody ever said he owes GU /fans anything. NO.....all along it's the feeling that he would develop further to the point where it would enhance his chances of success. Nobody's holding him here. Slavery is mostly over guys. He makes his choices and rises or falls.......it's up to him. Nobody ever said otherwise.

Because he's AA coming into this season, he'll get noticed. If he's being noticed AND if he's really good and improving AND the storied guards ( his competitors for an NBA first round slot) are gone this year, his chances should be better NEXT year. I've always thought he needs more training.........FT's. 3 pt work, ballhandling......that's the reason (s) he should stick around....not some silly thought that he should stay because GU will win more games. GU will be fine with /without him. NBA teams won't hire a PG who doesn't handle the ball well, doesn't shoot FT's well and is lousy from 3 pt land. Just won't happen no matter how pure of heart.

We at GU always think of what's best for the kid. He's one of those kids. He needs remedial basketball work before he tries to convince the NBA he's a 1st rounder. He can get it here....with a degree. Should count for a lot. And it might help his future.

zagster318
05-28-2008, 09:26 AM
All three of the post above (Stocks, Love and 67's) seem fair but all are born of a "straw man" argument. Set forth an issue ( a tainted one) then beat the crap out of it so the author appears correct. Sounds good doesn't it?....not so fast.

Nobody EVER said it's not Jeremy's choice. Nobody ever said he owes GU /fans anything. NO.....all along it's the feeling that he would develop further to the point where it would enhance his chances of success. Nobody's holding him here. Slavery is mostly over guys. He makes his choices and rises or falls.......it's up to him. Nobody ever said otherwise.

Because he's AA coming into this season, he'll get noticed. If he's being noticed AND if he's really good and improving AND the storied guards ( his competitors for an NBA first round slot) are gone this year, his chances should be better NEXT year. I've always thought he needs more training.........FT's. 3 pt work, ballhandling......that's the reason (s) he should stick around....not some silly thought that he should stay because GU will win more games. GU will be fine with /without him. NBA teams won't hire a PG who doesn't handle the ball well, doesn't shoot FT's well and is lousy from 3 pt land. Just won't happen no matter how pure of heart.

We at GU always think of what's best for the kid. He's one of those kids. He needs remedial basketball work before he tries to convince the NBA he's a 1st rounder. He can get it here....with a degree. Should count for a lot. And it might help his future.

Abe,
I can't take all this logic at once. ;)

StocktonIsMyHero
05-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Um... I don't even know where to start. First, it's completely inappropriate to even bring up slavery and you should know better than that, Abe.

Secondly, it's pretty ironic that you accuse us of creating a strawman, and then you turn around and say that we are accusing people who think Jeremy should stay of supporting slavery. That's totally not the case at all.

You can make all the points you want about him needing more work. I agree with you.

But remember... the NBA draft is about potential, not polish. There was a reason high schoolers like Travis Outlaw got drafted in the teens despite being extremely raw.

I think an NBA team could easily look at Jeremy and like his size and athleticism at the point guard position, and draft him on that alone. Remember, the NBA has the best skill development coaches in America, if not the world.

Let me put it this way... Pargo can just as easily work on three pointers, ball handling, and free throws while getting paid to play. Or he can do it while playing for the Zags.

Bottom line, it's his decision.

cjm720
05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
The only resounding assumption I've read on this board has been about him needing to be a first round selection for guaranteed money. In review of Katz's recent comments, it seems a second round "lock" would be sufficient enough for Pargo to depart. Whether we agree with that thought process doesn't really matter; what matters most is that we're closer to losing our leader today than we were last week.

MickMick
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Um... I don't even know where to start. First, it's completely inappropriate to even bring up slavery and you should know better than that, Abe.

Secondly, it's pretty ironic that you accuse us of creating a strawman, and then you turn around and say that we are accusing people who think Jeremy should stay of supporting slavery. That's totally not the case at all.

As a reader, I did not take Abe's comments out of his intended context. In my opinion, moral indignation is not appropriate in this case. This reply didn't help your argument from my point of view. Indeed, the reply is more disturbing to me than what Abe wrote. Otherwise, you have some valid points.

bigblahla
05-28-2008, 10:04 AM
First let me say I don't think Jeremy owes us fans anything to me it's more about what he can become as a player with another year under his belt. Maybe I like him too much but I see All-American in his future if he stays at GU and a lottery pick.

I'm not an NBA scout and won't pretend to be but I see a lot of growth needed in Jeremy's game to become a player in the NBA. Look at what Dan Dickau has had to go through and he was a first round pick with a hell of an outside shot. Second round doesn't mean a whole lot unless the team that picks him is extremely enamored by him.

There's a legitmate argument to get yours while you can but the fruit is always better when it is tree ripened. Jeremy needs another year in the sun to mature and become all he can be on the court.

Just my Opinion!

Go!! Zags!!!

MDABE80
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Put my remarks in context Stocks. The point is that Jeremy is FREE to do whatever.........good, bad, smart, stupid, etc. Fans can't influence that. You're ideas on my "slavery " comment are distraction to the focus of the dicusiion. Mick's right. He understands the post I wrote.

In the end, Jeremy isn't ready IMHO. He's gone to camp. Nobody begrudges him for going. Maybe there are other reasons for him to go. I don't know. We all wish him the best though. GU will be fine.......no doubt. He needs work. DO I think he'll get the level of support he needs in the NBA on the bench? Nope........no even in an instructional league. Few's his best bet. I hope he helps himself to the panoply of support GU basketball has to offer.

75Zag
05-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Lots of posts seem to assume that Pargo's NBA draft position automatically goes up if he waits a year. I wonder about that. When I think about the 09 NBA draft, I see quite a few upper class guards coming out of college, plus a lot of potential one-and-done guards from the high school class of '08.

If you were Jeremy or his advisor and you honestly believed that he could go this year as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, and that if he waits a year there is an 80% chance he would still be in the same position next year, what would you tell him? I don't want to lose him as a GU player, but I would tell him to go into the NBA, make his money and take his chances.

theothegreat21
05-28-2008, 01:10 PM
I think if Jeremy can put together a great season next year, he will be the 2nd or 3rd Point Guard taken, behind Ricky Rubio and then competing with Brandon Jennings. At that point he could go anywhere between 15-25, which is a guaranteed contract and much more money then going in the early 2nd round this year

Gonzdb8
05-28-2008, 02:23 PM
The same thing happened to Brandon Armstrong a few years back from Pepperdine. I believe that he was considered to be a second-rounder to undrafted, but played well in the camps. He ended up staying in the draft and ended up in the first round. I think he initially went to Detroit and ended up in New Jersey?

In any event, his play got him a first round gig. He didn't stick in the league, but he got his shot.

i think brandon armstrong was part of the rjeff deal that sent eddie griffin to houston but can't recall if detroit was involved. as a rockets fan i'd like to have a mulligan on that one (no disrespect to eddie g. intended).

BobZag
05-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Jeremy would have to compete next year against--

Darren Collison
Brandon Jennings
Tyreke Evans (probably)
Ricky Rubio (possibly)
Jrue Holiday (probably)
Mario Chalmers (if he returns)
Ty Lawson (if he returns)

That's not cupcake city. Of course, a couple may choose to stay another year in college (Holiday, Evans), a couple may stay in this year's draft (Lawson, Chalmers), and Rubio may or may not be in next year's draft, depending on his overseas pro contract.

MDABE80
05-28-2008, 06:42 PM
BZ...I think this year will be tougher but honestly neither is a free pass. If he gets better, he'll go high. If he deteriorates he'll go lower....2nd round. I still think he'll get better if he sticks around and leads the Zags to a redeeming run in the NCAA tournament. In a way, he's in charge of his own future. Whether it's this year or the next, if he improves, he'll do well and move up in the draft. As you said in a different post, 2nd round money and NO guarantee doesn't sound so good. It takes patience on Jeremy's part but he's not done enough good work to step up this season to round 1.

It's actually sort of amazing he's in the 2nd round. The 2nd round will be there for Jeremy next year too. I believe he can do better if he focuses his Senior year. Best thing will happen. I honestly can say that his education will serve him the rest of his days. Early entry might not. We'll see.....and wish him the best. The nastiest issue is that the hotshot guys from THIS year will be there when the fellas BZ mentions join them NEXT year. Prepare young Luke.!!