PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Honeycutt Article on Rivals

NEZAGFAN
05-26-2008, 04:03 AM
With all of the recent changes going on inside the McKale Center offices and a complete turnover of the Wildcat assistant coaches, recruiting for the 2009 class has been a trying task early in the summer.

Icon SMI
Tyler Honeycutt has three leaders.
However, there are still some prospects that have been identified and one of the UA's early targets is 6-foot-7 Sylmar (Calif.) forward Tyler Honeycutt.

He was in town for the 2008 Arizona Cactus Classic playing with his Pump 'N Run Elite team for whom he averaged 14.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game.

Honeycutt has really seen his recruitment pick up over the last month and has received increased attention from a number of high-profile schools as they try to increase their chances of landing him.

"Recruiting has gotten pretty good over the last couple of weeks," Honeycutt said. "Arizona, Arizona State, San Diego, San Diego State, Gonzaga, Santa Clara, Kansas, Cal and Washington have started talking to me more since then."

Honeycutt has taken a look at schools that interest him and mentioned three that are standing out at the current time for him.

"I like Arizona, Gonzaga and Washington," he said. "Their styles of play are what interest me the most over other schools."

There are plenty other factors to take into consideration when evaluating which school to attend and the three-star prospect already has some things he is looking for at the top of the list.

"The campus, how the coaches are, what kind of players are there and how they play will all be things that I will think about," Honeycutt said. "There really isn't anything in particular that would make me choose any school at this point; it's just going to be me deciding that that's where I want to go."

Honeycutt said that he is now up to 6-foot-8 and expects to grow more by the time he is ready to go to college.

"I've grown three inches every summer and I've got two seven-footers on both sides (of the family), so I should get taller," he said.

In addition to growing, Honeycutt expects to have polished his game more so that he can be successful at the next level and knows what he needs to focus on.

"My shooting is getting a lot better and so is my rebounding, but I need to start blocking more shots," Honeycutt said. "I need to work on my defense, like one-on-one defense the most, but my shot blocking is the other thing that I really need to focus on."

BobZag
05-26-2008, 08:51 AM
The Zags have gained some separation with two other schools. Good news. If Daye jumps to the NBA after his soph year, Tyler would be a perfect fit. I like Tyler above all other wings.

I think in order to get who we want--Honeycutt in this case--it behooves us to win the WCC, the WCC Tourney and go deep into March.

From UCLA's site--

Tyler Honeycutt, 6-7 SF, Sylmar (Calif.) High. He's one of the guys whose stock has really skyrocketed because of his performances this spring. and he's cracked the top 100 (at #96) for the first time, and that is probably still an under-appreciation of his talent. Honecutt could be the best shooting wing on the west coast, and he combines that with a great sense of the game and passing ability. Going against him is a slender and narrow frame and a possible question whether he can guard quick high-major threes, or whether he'll continue to grow (he looks young) and eventually end up a power forward. But Honecutt's offense is so good that, despite those questions, he's someone the high majors are pursuing, and UCLA is showing interest. Think of him as a Austin Daye type. He reportedly will attend UCLA's camp. If UCLA shows serious interest, it could be a done deal since Honeycutt has indicated UCLA is his childhood favorite.

azzagfan
05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Honeycutt has taken a look at schools that interest him and mentioned three that are standing out at the current time for him.

"I like Arizona, Gonzaga and Washington," he said. "Their styles of play are what interest me the most over other schools."

With the Huskies, I'm sure he didn't mean the "not worthy of NIT" style...sometimes, it's just too easy.

spudzag
05-26-2008, 02:24 PM
The Zags have gained some separation with two other schools. Good news. If Daye jumps to the NBA after his soph year, Tyler would be a perfect fit.

I think in order to get who we want--Honeycutt in this case--it behooves us to win the WCC, the WCC Tourney and go deep into March.

If UCLA shows serious interest, it could be a done deal since Honeycutt has indicated UCLA is his childhood favorite.

Pretty much sums it up. Several questions come to mind. First, what are the chances UCLA will offer. UCLA has offered wings Shawn Williams and Ari Stewart. They are on Lance Stevenson list, but he has Memphis as his current preference. Hard to tell yet if they will be a factor. But Honeycutt appears to be a bck up plan.

The looming question is will we help ourselves in recruiting by going deep into March. With three, maybe four, guys NBA bound after next season you'd sure hope so.

ZagNative
05-26-2008, 02:37 PM
As far as our success in the WCC and the NCAA tourney is concerned, I don't recall seeing anything saying that he wouldn't commit until next spring. Would you not be surprised if he passed up this November's signing period? The guys who wait until spring have, in the past at least, seemed to be more the exception than the rule, with Jeff Taylor being one of the exceptions.

If Jeremy goes, I wonder how much the uncertainty at the point might affect a decision for guys like Tyler who might otherwise sign in November but might want to wait to see how the team plays with someone else running the game ....

BobZag
05-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Oops, I'm still programmed to think that 2009 kids are way down the road yet. Well, let's just do great in March anyway, to make sure nobody backs out of their LOIs. :)

Arizona is in disarray and could have an awful year.
UW, bah.

I like our chances with Honeycutt unless UCLA offers him.

Reborn
05-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I think the Zags have a very good chance to get Honeycutt becauxe I think Austin will help us get him. I don't mean that he'll talk to him, although he could if he comes for a visit. I just feel that Daye's game will be what will attract him, and the success Austin has had at GU, and the liklihood that he will enter the NBA soon. He just sounds like he was created to be a Zag. I think Austin was the 3rd leading Zag scorer this year which should give him confidence that he could also play as a freshman.

I'm anxious to see how this one plays out.

I'd love to see Honeycutt, Marshall and Burton all sign.

spudzag
05-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Our position with Honeycutt looks favorable. UCLA can only take so many players and he doesn't seem like the high profile guy they are usually after.

If Honeycutt were to commit he joins Kong at the wing. Seems like enough depth at that spot even with Austin's departure.

While I love Marshall, I'd prefer signing two bigs, maybe Burton, Dowers, Bak Bak, or others that Few has his eyes on. Remember we will still have 5 guards. If you look at the 4 and 5 spots for 09-10 we've got Sacre, Foster and Poling. That's way to thin.

If we get two bigs we would have 5 for the 1 & 2 spots, 2 for the 3 and 5 for the 4 and 5. This assumes we leave one spot open to alow for a transfer or a late signing as BZ suggested last week.

We need that kind of balance to allow for development of player and injuries.

thebigsmoove
05-26-2008, 08:42 PM
all i can say is im salivating at the chance to grab another austin daye and continue to have the versatility we have now on the wing. Could you imagine a future lineup of:

PG Anthony Marshall
SG Matt Bouldin
SF Tyler Honeycutt
PF Joe Burton
C Robert Sacre

Man, just nuts!