PDA

View Full Version : Greatest PF in the History of Hoops

BobZag
05-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Forget Tim Duncan, pay no mind to Kevin Garnett or Kevin McHale or Pau Gasol or Amare Stoudemire. Karl Malone? Hah, you're kidding me. Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, LaMarcus Aldridge, Sean May, Tyler Hansbrough, these jokers are no-names when compared to the sheer great and power of the almighty...

Sudanese, ala Kong and Arop...

Bak Bak

It was clear that Bak was ready to play, but it took his teammates a littler longer to get involved in their match up against KC Pump N’ Run. The 6-foot-8 skilled four man scored off mid-range jumpers and off moves in the paint. He went for 17 points in the first half and 23 for the game.

--------------------------

This long African import impressed us with his shot blocking on “D”, but really solidified his being on the list here with soft touch and excellent feet on the blocks.

spudzag
05-25-2008, 11:42 AM
You mean this guy from the Jayhawk Invitational?

Bak Bak, PF, Pump N’ Run – It was clear that Bak was ready to play, but it took his teammates a littler longer to get involved in their match up against KC Pump N’ Run. The 6-foot-8 skilled four man scored off

According to his AAU coach, he’s heard from Oregon State, Georgia Tech and a bunch of programs in the PAC 10 and WAC. Maybe on in the WCC?

The Duke and Kansas boards also have some chatter on BAK.

BobZag
05-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Bak
Arop
Kong

The Bak Attack!

likey, Gonzaga does.

ZagNative
05-25-2008, 12:35 PM
From a blurb in a Van Coleman eval and report on the Las Vegas Spring Classic and Showcase championship Day (http://76.74.252.140/maxxathleteDEV/node/110) at the end of April:

Bak Bak 6-foot-10 C (Double Pump Elite) – This long African import impressed us with his shot blocking on “D”, but really solidified his being on the list here with soft touch and excellent feet on the blocks.I previously looked for info on Bak Bak. It's kind of tough to dig up much about him online.

As BZ mentioned, he's a Sudanese guy. He started at American Heritage HS in Plantation, Fl. While in Florida, he played for Showtime Ballers (http://www.hoopsusa.com/frm_story.cfm?a=797)

He transferred to Village Christian HS in Sun Valley, CA and now plays for Double Pump Elite. He may have lost some HS eligibility in the transfer, per this undated story (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/VAN+NUYS+TRANSFERS+QUESTIONED.-a0169771631) about his arrival at Village Christian, which says:

Meantime, there is more transfer news involving boys' basketball. Bak Bak, a 6-foot-10 junior from the Sudan via American Heritage High of Plantation, Fla., has transferred to Village Christian of Sun Valley.

Bak, a Rivals.com top-150 player, won't be eligible this season because of international transfer restrictions. International transfer students not in an approved foreign exchange program are ineligible for one year.

"Bak is a great kid," Village Christian principal Barrett Luketic said. "He's bright, he speaks several languages and he's making a great adjustment. He's doing really well." Note the reference to his being in the Rivals 150 at the time. I can't find the Rivals list as it existed before the current list, which doesn't currently rank him - at least as far as I could find.

Looks like another case where the country of his origin and a transfer may have interrupted the normal buzz that would have followed a kid like him.

Rangerzag
05-25-2008, 12:44 PM
OK, here we have a kid from out of the country, good guy, speaks several languages......................................... ....when do we get to the part where he asks Tommy Lloyd about Spokane weather ;)

ZagNative
05-25-2008, 01:02 PM
That occurred to me too, Ranger!

Here is Village Christian's MaxPreps (http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Team.mxp/AreaID-8e11e7d4-d3fa-4e6f-827f-652c29439d27/SchoolID-02554ce1-5b45-48d3-8d6d-4bffb5609097/Boys_Varsity_Basketball_Winter_07-08/California) page. Though he shows up on the Roster there, I've got to believe he didn't play for them, looking at their 7-20 overall record. The site doesn't have any stats for the team.

I googled for results for games this past year, looking for some mention of Bak Bak, but the coverage for the team is sparse, and I could find none for Bak Bak's performance on the team, leading me to believe that he didn't play, due to the transfer rules, probably concentrating on his AAU team instead? Wild guess on my part, though, based mainly on that undated story linked above.

Scout page (http://hscalifornia.scout.com/a.z?s=153&p=8&c=1&nid=3747106), but no stories and not much listed beside height (probably from a while back, since it shows him at 6'8", whereas others currently report him at 6'10").

BobZag
05-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Admiral Bakbar!

MississppiZag
05-26-2008, 07:46 PM
soynds like a great fit. are we actually after this guy?

BobZag
05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
You don't mess with the Bak Bak.

Yes, GU is.

VinnyZag
05-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Too bad GU didn't have him last year. Would've been cool to see Bak Bak match up with Longar Longar. Maybe they could've played some one-on-one in Walla Walla.

SLOZag
05-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Too bad GU didn't have him last year. Would've been cool to see Bak Bak match up with Longar Longar. Maybe they could've played some one-on-one in Walla Walla.

Bak Bak would only have been a freshman then, so there's perhaps a 50/50 chance it would have been a so-so outcome. :D

zaguarxj
05-27-2008, 01:09 PM

While listening to Duran Duran?

BobZag
05-27-2008, 03:14 PM
His favorite fish:

Mahi Mahi

pbriz
05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
His favorite fish:

Mahi Mahi

Either that or humuhumunukunukuapua'a

BobZag
05-27-2008, 06:08 PM
He is so good you have to say his name twice twice.