PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note about Pargo on draftexpress

theothegreat21
05-24-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Cross-Country-Workout-Swing,-Part-4,-A.T.T.A.C.K.-Athletics,-Chicago-2892/

--Mayo pretended not to hear him, and proceeded to show off his playmaking skills and unselfishness by pushing the ball up the floor repeatedly, making some great drive and dish plays, and throwing a number of alleyoop lobs to his old running mate Bill Walker. He played great defense on Jeremy Pargo, not giving him an inch to breathe and absolutely shutting him down, but the fact that he had just completed a grueling workout in the weight room left him with almost no legs to finish his plays around the basket. Grover pulled him out after the first game was over, and Mayo looked visibly upset by the fact that his team lost.--

This was a write-up on Mayo, but you notice the blurb about him sutting down Pargo. Mayo is the kind of elite athlete that Jeremy will have to matchup with everynight at the NBA level. Hopefully he can understand this and take another year at GU to hone and improve his schools for the next level.

CDC84
05-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm actually surprised Mayo was able to shut him down....whether he is an elite athlete or not.

MickMick
05-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I am surprised at this too. I would have to see the matchup to believe that Jeremy was actually "shut down" by a guard (one on one). I can envision two or more players collapsing in the paint to close up a lane though. The author is probably giving Mayo credit for something like that.

theothegreat21
05-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Chad Ford gave the same description as the draftexpress people. Keep in mind that throughout the Pac 10 season, Mayo shut down many great players. This includes holding Jeryd Bayless under 10 points at Arizona. I think not having a reliable jump shot allows for defenders to back off of Jeremy just enough to be able to really limit his penetration.

MickMick
05-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Chad Ford gave the same description as the draftexpress people. Keep in mind that throughout the Pac 10 season, Mayo shut down many great players. This includes holding Jeryd Bayless under 10 points at Arizona. I think not having a reliable jump shot allows for defenders to back off of Jeremy just enough to be able to really limit his penetration.

This is what some people on the UConn (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342#s=342&f=2871&t=2507092) board think of Chad Ford.

theothegreat21
05-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I know that Chad Ford might not have the best eye at predicting talent, but if both he and draftexpress were in person and saw the same thing....then I am going to assume that it is true.

Zagpower
05-25-2008, 07:12 AM
The description of the ATTACK facility has left me salivating. What a great experience for anyone that is fortunate enough to attend.

MDABE80
05-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Mayo HAS to leave college and Jeremy doesn't. He might have treated it somehwat like a lark. Mayo ( from the article) is ALL business. Our guy is a fun loving kid who might not be taking this all that seriously. Factor that in with the reality that Jeremy does turn the ball over and his handles are suspect at times.....and it's the perfect mess.
This will be good of our kid. Let's him know a few things......1) can't be distracted and you must take this seriously and 2) he needs another year in college to work on his frailties. Jeremy gets taken to town by these superior (maybe not to him..but superior nonetheless) athletes and he'll be watching the NBA games from overseas.
Such a good kid. Lots of raw talent. Great, fun attitude. Buckle down Jeremy! Take us to the FF!. Well...maybe not....but one thing this does show: He'll be back at GU and he NEEDS more training. I hope he knows it and embraces it. Jeremy might THINK he's really good.......but as one the Jesuits at GU told me years ago " Young man..YOU might think it; now all you have to do is convince the other guys"

Reborn
05-25-2008, 12:44 PM
He's convinced me.:)

thebigsmoove
05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
I dont doubt for a second that Mayo shut down pargo. OJ is a great defender, quite possibly one of the best wing defenders in the last few years, thats part of the reason he has been considered such a top flight talent. Ive seen him play at the Derby classic in Louisville, KY a year back and i was impressed. Ive seen a few great defenders in my time and hes up there.

dim4sum
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Others have said it, so I'm just repeating: Jeremy you don't have to score much, just do the little things that help your team win. Think Blake (not Stepp), the buzzcut point guard at Maryland who took his team to an NCAA championship a few years back.

ToreroStudent
05-26-2008, 02:23 AM
Just throwing out my contribution. I'm pretty sure that Mayo has a few inches at least on Pargo. I consider OJ a 2 guard, not a point like Jeremy. It's a mismatch and it's no surprise that Jeremy was shut down. Also note that not every man in the draft is like OJ Mayo. Let's face it, a couple of years ago Mayo was considered easily the best high schooler in America while also being considered the next Lebron James. Though his numbers last year suggest otherwise, there are only a handful of OJ Mayo's out there. Though he (Pargo) does not match up with Mayo, he may still think that he has a chance to make it on an NBA roster. Who knows what will happen? We can only speculate. It is Jeremy's decision and his alone. Let's hope, for his sake,that he makes the right one and comes back.

CDC84
05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
It's also quite possible that with all of the controversy surrounding Mayo right now that OJ could have been supremely motivated. There is no denying his talent and length as a defender. Still, it is very rare to see Pargo completely shut down in any one on one type circumstance these days. It's hard enough to do it in a real, organized 5 on 5 game with a defensive plan set in place with help defenders.

It should also be pointed out too that if Pargo goes to Orlando (still haven't heard of a decision), there won't be anyone of OJ's ability at that camp. It'll be non-lottery pick types.

MDABE80
05-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong CDC ..but late first round. to the early 2nd round is really about the same except for the moniker isn't it? Not a big shift in money. ZN's posting the other day ( I can't quite remember the money figures) indicated that after about the 20th pick or so....it's not huge money..... More than sitting on your a** in a dorm room mind you, but not the kind we usually hear about.

On the other hand, if Jeremy trusts himself to have a great senior year, he might be doing himself a disservice by continuing this chase for a late 1st or 2nd draft spot. If he has a tremendous final year, he might be mid first round. He REALLY needs to sizzle in his senior year. 3pt/FT/ball handling, etc. He fixes those things and he'll go high. Moreso if he puts up consistent performances like the Memphis game and a few others where he took the games over.

ZagNut08
05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
First round is guaranteed for 3 years though, Abe.

While early second round money, if signed, may be similar, it is not guaranteed, which is huge.

theothegreat21
05-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Just going off of what Zagnut said....remember Steve Logan from Cincinnati. He was an All-American his senior year and was the first pick of the 2nd round in the 2002 draft. He and the Warriors never came to a deal on a contract, because he was not guaranteed one and they couldn't come to terms. As a result, he has never played in the NBA.

If you go in the 2nd round you are guaranteed absolutely nothing in the NBA

Zagpower
05-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Hard to judge JP's performance based on that little tidbit of information. JP's team did win the game so it is difficult to believe that the point guard matchup was that decisive for the entire game.