PDA

View Full Version : Who plays point next year if Pargo goes to the draft?

sdzag
05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
If Pargo leaves who starts at point next year?
Matt B was brought in as a playmaker who has the passing skills to run the O...
Does Few put the ball in the hands of a shooter like Gray to just handle it and not create but handle...
Or is it a new comerís job to loose, Grant was initially ranked higher but Meech is coming to spokane to run the offense for the future...
I still think Pargo will be a Zag next year but if he isn't who plays point?

Also would the starting line up be
Matt
Gray
Micah
Daye
Josh.....

BobZag
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd give good odds Pargo will return. If he can't be a 1st-rounder, what's the point? But...

Matt
Meech
Steven
Grant

All played PG in high school and excelled at it, and some PG here, save for the frosh.

scrabble08
05-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Tim Grover knows how to get guys ready!

Jeremy Pargo , PG, Gonzaga

Jeremy Pargo was the other really intriguing player in the gym.

He is a very explosive athlete who attacks the basket. He's a streaky shooter, but when he's hot, watch out. He's debating whether to play in Orlando. If he does, I could see him moving up draft boards. After the first few point guards are off the board, teams will be looking in the late first round and Pargo will be interesting.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

MDABE80
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
One of the new guys will play Point unless Steven Gray improves a lot in the off season. Meech is an obvious choice on first blush. Could be the other though. Doubt Matt .
As these Pro camps proceed, it's alway good to remember that if his 3 pt % is substracted, Jeremy did shoot a whopping 58% from the floor. Handles were streaky and his passing was average. It's just opinion ( based on this past season) he could use another year to hone his skills. If he gets 10% better, someone could take him. It's a pretty strong draft though. Lots of young guns ( who get the press) and some more mature college players too.

I just don't see Jeremy in any part of the 1st round. early or middle 2nd round maybe. Best served to work another year with us and get his degree. Sometimes that bright flame that attracts kids also will burn em.

cggonzaga
05-22-2008, 10:45 AM
I'd be shocked if Pargo left but if he did I wouldn't be surprised to see Meech start. He's the only true point guard of the group and his defense is a big plus over the others. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over I see him as the point. Gray and Matt could play it when need be but neither is a true point and it seems like it takes them forever to get set up in the half court.

JoeZag
05-22-2008, 11:04 AM
From Andy's blog today...

Gonzaga junior guard Jeremy Pargo may be leaning toward playing in the pre-draft camp in Orlando. If that's the case, expect the Zag staff to be there to watch him and see if their starting point guard returns next season. Pargo would love to stay in the draft but isn't a first-round lock.

As I have heard from several reliable sources and mentioned here before, Pargo will stay in the draft if he thinks he will get drafted (even in the second round). I would think that either Meech or Gray would run the point in that case. This also would probably mean that they would try to keep Larry G rather than letting him go to make room for Kong.

mgadfly
05-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Matt would start at point.

He came here as a point guard, has waited his turn, has been the primary ball handler when Pargo wasn't available, and contrary to some people's opinions around here, he has a pretty good handles. According to kenpom he has a better turnover rate than Pargo (which he should since Pargo is the primary ball handler), a much better turnover rate than PMAC ever had, but a worse rate than Raivio once Raivio was moved to the "2."

He has nearly the same turnover rate as Grey, who wasn't the back up point guard.

Finally, who was the last true freshman that Few trusted to be the starting point guard to run the entire offense, and how did he do?

Frazzle
05-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Finally, who was the last true freshman that Few trusted to be the starting point guard to run the entire offense, and how did he do?

I think that would be Blake Stepp. I believe he assumed the starting job when when Dickau broke his hand. He did pretty well and was a better contributor later in the year for it. However, he made some freshman mistakes.

LongIslandZagFan
05-22-2008, 12:09 PM
One of the new guys will play Point unless Steven Gray improves a lot in the off season.

Absolutely no way any frosh starts at point. System is way too complex. Matt would run it and you'd start molding Meech into the spot.

LongIslandZagFan
05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I think that would be Blake Stepp. I believe he assumed the starting job when when Dickau broke his hand. He did pretty well and was a better contributor later in the year for it. However, he made some freshman mistakes.

That was only due to injury. Not true frosh has ever run the system from the get go.

duper
05-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Great offensive system but not at all complex. A freshmen with good knowlege of the game would pick it up quickly, which by all accounts Meech has. Deffence, well you don't go to Gonzaga to play D.

I still can't see Pargo leaving! If he is a first rounder yes but I don't think so this yr. Only other way I see him leaving is if he thinks he won't be drafted. That way he could pick and choose where he tried out and hopfully find a team that wants and needs his type of player. Other than playing in NCAA tourney again, he would be better off not geting drafted this yr than being a 2nd round choice next yr and be limited to where he could go. I think if he stays he is a first rounder next yr.

thespywhozaggedme
05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Absolutely no way any frosh starts at point. System is way too complex. Matt would run it and you'd start molding Meech into the spot.

Good thing I checked all of the posts since I was going to literally write almost the exact same thing. Verbatim. Great minds think alike, LIZF. :D

CDC84
05-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Blake Stepp also possessed a basketball IQ beyond his years, was a coach's son and had a Dad who knew the GU coaches for some time. The Stepp's knew exactly what the staff was looking for. Blake was very well prepped by the time he arrived at Gonzaga. Maybe more prepped than any PG or combo guard has ever been entering the program.

That being said, if Pargo bails early....this is one instance where what I think the staff should do and what I think they will do might not be the same.

gamagin
05-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Gray.

Baptism of fire. He has already learned alot.

He earned his starting position in a very rough environment, K2. He can develop anywhere they need him, imo.

Quickly. Effectively.

cjm720
05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
I've given up trying to figure out what Few will do with his line-up. But given the increased caliber of recruits, I think there's a far better chance that a freshman (Meech) could start (maybe not game 1) compared to prior years. Just look at Steven Gray...who would have thought he would have started? Probably not many. Granted the 1 and 2 are different positions but everything we've heard and read about Meech tells me he could start in his first year. The best point guard in the 4th largest city in the country...we got one heck of a signee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO ZAGS!!!!

cggonzaga
05-22-2008, 02:52 PM

I agree that Meech probably wouldn't start from day 1 but I definitely think he'd move into quickly. When's the last time we had a true pass first run the team type of point guard? Dickau, Stepp, Bouldin, Raivio were all combo guards who looked to score first. Meech is a true point guard that looks to pass first, run the offense and play great defense. He also gives us quickness and speed on the court that we'd have zero of if Pargo left.

scrabble08
05-22-2008, 03:06 PM
You do all realize that we don't know if "Meech" can even play at the Division 1 level right? As in, other guys you all hyped up without seeing have not been as good as you advertised or hypothesized or conjured up, or whatever it is you do.

MississppiZag
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Are you a Gonzaga fan? why all the negativity? People are voicing there opinions about the basketball team, and you want to contradict everyone. Stop trying to be a harda$$, and let us speak. It's a long wait til the beginning of the season, we need something to talk about.

scrabble08
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Just making a point as plainly and simply as anyone else. Once "Meech" is here I hope he does fantastic, just won't count on it and plan our final 4 appearances on it until I see it. If that hurts your feelings I am sorry.

CDC84
05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
You do all realize that we don't know if "Meech" can even play at the Division 1 level right? As in, other guys you all hyped up without seeing have not been as good as you advertised or hypothesized or conjured up, or whatever it is you do.

I think I can say with 100% certainty that Meech can play division one ball. Few hasn't brought a player into the program in the last 10 years who couldn't play division one ball. Even the players who transferred out went to such schools as BYU, UNLV and Valpo. Those are D-1 schools.

The issue is not whether Meech can play D-1 ball, but whether he can play it well enough right from the get go to be Gonzaga's starting point guard. Maybe he can, maybe he can't.

scrabble08
05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Exactly..that was my point more correctly stated. Thanks

MississppiZag
05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Doesn't hurt my feelings, just every time i see what you wrote, it is something negative about the program. Don't want to hear the negatives when it comes to Gonzaga basketball, that's all. Try to think positive for a change.:)

MickMick
05-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Meech may not start initially, but I certainly believe that his time at point will grow at a decent clip. At the end of the season, I would bet that he would get every bit as much time at point as anyone else.

If he makes as much of an impression early on as the freshman Gray did last year, he could slip into a significant role quickly. With Pargo here or not.

This young man is going to be a heck of a player.

VinnyZag
05-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Just making a point as plainly and simply as anyone else. Once "Meech" is here I hope he does fantastic, just won't count on it and plan our final 4 appearances on it until I see it. If that hurts your feelings I am sorry.

If Pargo leaves, we won't have to worry about any final four (or even any Sweet 16) appearances in the near future.

thespywhozaggedme
05-22-2008, 04:01 PM
I think I can say with 100% certainty that Meech can play division one ball. Few hasn't brought a player into the program in the last 10 years who couldn't play division one ball. Even the players who transferred out went to such schools as BYU, UNLV and Valpo. Those are D-1 schools.

The issue is not whether Meech can play D-1 ball, but whether he can play it well enough right from the get go to be Gonzaga's starting point guard. Maybe he can, maybe he can't.

Mammary Diallo?

CDC84
05-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Diallo could've played division one ball somewhere based on his height and athleticism alone, but he wanted to return to France. A SWAC or MEAC school would've gladly taken him. Those kinds of teams are starving for any players with size, regardless of their skill level.

That being said, it was really obvious from the get go that Diallo was not a Gonzaga level player. It's still a mystery as to why GU took him.

2011Zag
05-22-2008, 04:22 PM
I just have a tough time seeing Matt play the point if JP leaves. Last year he seemed so uncomfortable with the ball, especially against pressure. He showed some amazing passing ability his freshman year but it didn't seem to improve at all last year like I know a lot of people expected it to. I think his discomfort may have been attributed to not being the primary ball handler, and being thrown in there can be hard to adjust to on the fly. I think Matt could to a decent job but for his full potential to be reached he should be slashing and shooting from the shooting guard position. If Meech is as good as people are portraying him I think he may be a viable option along with Gray to lighten the load.

GU69
05-22-2008, 05:14 PM
This whole thread makes me nervous.

I am counting on Jeremy returning, and I don't want to think about what happens if he doesn't.

Gozags2
05-22-2008, 05:24 PM
The more you do it, the more comfortable you get. Josh posting up, moving, his footwork, some was injury but alot of it was just being out and not getting the amount of reps it takes to get back to his greatness.

Matt can play the point and is really fun to watch when he is playing his game. It has to do alot with reps and not deferring--a mindset. He is a tough match-up. No worry if you have watched him over the years. He is a pass first player and sees the floor as well as anyone. Whatever Jeremy decides, hope it works out well for everyone.

VinnyZag
05-22-2008, 05:36 PM
This whole thread makes me nervous.

Me too. Fortunately, Chad Ford's a blithering idiot. Let's just hope he's as wrong about this as he is about most things.

roxdoc
05-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I agree with those who say Matt. If Pargo does not come back (I think he will) then Matt is the obvious choice. Although he is not a slasher, he knows the complex system, and has experience at the point in D-1. Although Gray had some experience at point last year I think it would be a waste to put one of our best shooters in a pass first position. Meech, who undoubtedly will eventually make a great contribution to GU, has not played at the D-1 level and certainly will take a while to learn the system. I see by the end of the season Meech growing to the point that he will be a force to contend with. But he needs to prove himself and the coaches are not that desperate to have a freshman start at the most important position on the team.

Reborn
05-22-2008, 05:59 PM
I've just been so certain that Pargo would be coming back that I've not really thought about this topic. It is late spring and we're not talking about a lot accept recruits. Good topic,mgadfly. Good responses too.

I'd have to go with Meech because of defense. There are really a lot of very good point guards in Div I basketball It's unbelievable. We'll need someone with a lot of speed and toughness which I've read Meech has. Just in our conference we have two outstanding point guards in Johnson (San Diego) and Patty Mills from St. Mary's, and these are the two teams we are fighting it out with to go to the NCAA tournament. I remember Pargo saying once last year that Meech was going to be our point guard next year. I thought he was kidding.

I like what the people who are scouting the camp Pargo's at are saying about him. I think he really is a pretty darn good guard. I'd have to agree that it makes most sense for him to play collegiate ball one more year, and I think he will. I think his experience at the camp was really good for him, and when he returns I believe he'll be more confident and we need that some. I believe he sees what the Zags chances are next year and I think he'd like to be a part of it, as well as, someone who can really help (big time) make that happen. I think he loves the Zags, and has been one of the best Zag leaders, I think after Ammo and Pendo for awhile. I like his leadership much more then Ravio's. I just hope you come back Pargo (just in case you're bored and have nothing more to do then read this Board).:D

Meech
Matt
Gray
Josh
Sacre

Downs will be battling with Matt, Gibbs with Gray and Meech. We already know that Matt plays point when Pargo's been out, so he will continue doing that some. Few also likes combo guards which would give Meech a lot of help from Matt and Gray both.

I think the Zags will be very competitive without Jeremy. They are Zags. If there's a hole that needs to be filled, they'll fill it.

Scotto
05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Pretty sure Pargo is gone. He'll go second round. So that being said, is Matt the guy who can run the show for the Zags next yeat? I didn't get that feeling from watching him play this year. But he is the golden child, and will probably get the keys to the car regardless.

MickMick
05-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Pretty sure Pargo is gone. He'll go second round. So that being said, is Matt the guy who can run the show for the Zags next yeat? I didn't get that feeling from watching him play this year. But he is the golden child, and will probably get the keys to the car regardless.

Perhaps that quick first step translates well at the next level. I just didn't see it happening.

Matt will probably run the show and he will probably do well. I would certainly like to see more speed at guard though. Zags are slowly getting away from that up tempo feel and looking more and more like a team from the Big Ten. I suppose you go where your recruiting takes you....play to your strengths. Remove Meech/Pargo from the lineup and the Zags seem like plodders to me.

MississppiZag
05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
REBORN, you are missing the most important player from next year's lineup-Austin Daye. Please tell me you forgot. Without him and Pargo we can forget the Sweet 16, much less the Final 4.

While it is a good topic, i'm tired of hearing the people saying he is going in the 2nd round. There is NO guaranteed money in the 2nd round and unless he gets drafted in the 1st, which i doubt, he will be back and lead us to the Final Four that i have been waiting on. Nothing is a given but i don't feel like he will want to risk it when he is a lock for the 1st round in next yr's draft. Enough of the 2nd round talk and speculation, it is time to realize that he is going to be back for his senior yr and become an All-American:)

MDABE80
05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Miss.exactly. This is why he'll be back barring something happening like the magnetic poles reverse ........and nobody knows till the NRI machines stop.
I mean "REALLY!". lol

LIZ and I must part ways on the complexity of Few's system. Sure it's a bit more than say Romar's but it's basically 5 sets with 4 to 5 offshoots like an algorithm. Whether one or the other works in a given set dictates which next option is employed. Any talented kid who's been playing for years who studies it, watches film and then actually uses it can be a PG in this sytem....and do it well.

The key is recogize defenses and then begin one of the sets. Toss in some fast breaks and some other things kids learn and how to react to them and.....a smart new kid can manage.

Meech is just one of those kids I think. Speed, good shooter and years of experience. I honestly think Few's sytem does allow for newbies to use it effectively. Go back and look at some gasmes on film. There's lots of options but rarel are more than 1 or 2 used within the context of the 5 basic sets.

Half this game is defense. FInd a good defensive guard and points made by denying the other side's scoring. It's not magic. It's just solid basketball. Few's system is good....a bit complex too but given it's limited application by the kids in real games, it's not like getting a man on the moon.

Birddog
05-22-2008, 07:21 PM
That being said, it was really obvious from the get go that Diallo was not a Gonzaga level player. It's still a mystery as to why GU took him.

They had to replace Calum McCloud.

Reborn
05-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Mississippi Zag. Thanks for catching that one. Wow!!!:D See how good our team is? How could I miss our #1 scorer next year. I really think GU has so much talent next year it's unbelievable. But, as we are really learning, talent is not the most important thing in basketball, and I don't think it ever has been. It's the mind and the heart, + talent. The greatest players have all of that. And maybe the most important quality is humility, which means fitting in. Being the right size.

It's a tough job to get those ego's the right size because in a way, athletes are who they are, by having big egos. Getting them the right size is the tough part, and that usually happens as a result of great coaching.

Who ever takes Pargo's place, if he leaves, will have a heck of a job, but I really believe in the Zags, and somehow he'll get it done. Without Pargo a deep run in NCAA tourney is most likely impossible. So let's just begin to start praying. I"m gonna start tonight.:)

LongIslandZagFan
05-23-2008, 05:21 AM
The only player that came close to playing point as a frosh consistently outside of Blake, who had to due to injury, is D-Rav and he had a heck of a time getting into the system his freshman year.

You may not think it is all that complex, but the heavy emphasis on movement requires an understanding of where everyone is going to be and where you need to be at all times. That is something that only comes with time.

You just can't do that without time. Gray is another distinct possibility at the point position and has a tremendous basketball IQ. Few said he picked up the system real quickly even when he was injured.

Birddog
05-23-2008, 05:50 AM
You draft watchers may know for sure, but I heard the other day that next years draft class doesn't look to be as good as this one. If that's true, then Jeremy would be better off staying for his last season.

cjm720
05-23-2008, 06:14 AM

Um, wrong. You're an idiot. Enough said.

LongIslandZagFan
05-23-2008, 06:46 AM

Uncalled for CJM and unacceptable. No need ever to directly attack a fellow poster. I'd like to think you'd do the right thing and apologize.

Birddog
05-23-2008, 07:24 AM
And this statement makes you look better? I guess opinions are only OK if they are in concert with yours.

cjm720
05-23-2008, 07:51 AM
I'd rather call someone out in the open rather than neg rep annonymously. Sorry to disappoint.

LongIslandZagFan
05-23-2008, 08:00 AM
And I am calling you out to retract what you said. You can disagree without calling people idiots. You are lucky that I am in a reasonably good mood.

scrabble08
05-23-2008, 08:50 AM

CJM, explain to me how he has proven he will be effective at the d1 level. I mentioned I hope he does well, but too many of us are counting on him to be THE GUY, at the most difficult position in basketball as a freshman. With ANY frosh you just don't know what you are getting. It was not an attack on "Meech", just a statement regarding the fact that we have no clue how he will do on the court at game time.

75Zag
05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Goodson is going to be a fantastic D1 player.

How do you know Goodson is going to be a fantastic D1 player?

Because he committed to GU, and GU only accepts commitments from fantastic D1 players!

How do you know GU only accepts commitments from fantastic D1 players?

Because they accepted a commitment from Goodson and, as you will note in the first sentence above, Goodson is going to be a fantastic D1 player!

Loop to top of post and repeat.

theothegreat21
05-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Just to try and get this thread back on track....I think the one player that has a real chance to come in and play PG is Grant Gibbs. I have talked to some people who have seen him play both when he was here on his recruitng trip, and in high school, and he is going to be a perfect fit for this offense. From what I have been told, he is incredibly tough, and also very good at finding the open player. With all the scoring options we will have next year, the most important thing for any PG is to be able to drive and kick to the open man. I think as the season goes on, Grant will play a lot of PG/CG.

MDABE80
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Goodson is an exceptional kid. SAT, Grades, everything...... right on the money. Polite and ready to play some ball. I think this kid....no matter how unsung nationally...is one sweet find by the staff. The one thing that never came to mind was that he might not be D1 ready. CJM's post made me smile a bit....but as LIZ points out, we like to politely disagree if we disagree.

Some opinions are a bit unusual. We've known that for years. No doubt that Meech is ready to roll though. From what I know, he'll be fine.Funny and small world: I purchased a large LED sign a few weeks ago and the company is in Houston. The lady in charge of accounts has a son who plays at Klein with Meech. I could fill a page with what she said about our new kid. In short though, she said he's really smart, works hard, studies his rear off and is among the best players they've seen in Houston in 10 years. I didn't know she was such a basketball addict but she is. Anyway, we got a tremendous kid.

MickMick
05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Goodson is an exceptional kid. SAT, Grades, everything...... right on the money. Polite and ready to play some ball. I think this kid....no matter how unsung nationally...is one sweet find by the staff. The one thing that never came to mind was that he might not be D1 ready. CJM's post made me smile a bit....but as LIZ points out, we like to politely disagree if we disagree.

Some opinions are a bit unusual. We've known that for years. No doubt that Meech is ready to roll though. From what I know, he'll be fine.Funny and small world: I purchased a large LED sign a few weeks ago and the company is in Houston. The lady in charge of accounts has a son who plays at Klein with Meech. I could fill a page with what she said about our new kid. In short though, she said he's really smart, works hard, studies his rear off and is among the best players they've seen in Houston in 10 years. I didn't know she was such a basketball addict but she is. Anyway, we got a tremendous kid.

I hear nothing but rave reviews coming from Houston......starting with Goodson's coach at Klein. To paraphrase him, Gonzaga fans truly don't realize how good of a player they are getting. "He is going to surprise some folks."

cjm720
05-23-2008, 11:24 AM
CJM, explain to me how he has proven he will be effective at the d1 level. I mentioned I hope he does well, but too many of us are counting on him to be THE GUY, at the most difficult position in basketball as a freshman. With ANY frosh you just don't know what you are getting. It was not an attack on "Meech", just a statement regarding the fact that we have no clue how he will do on the court at game time.

1. best pg in houston this year
2. family history of d1 athletes
3. reported (thanks htown) quickness, strenth, defense, and leadership abilities
4. mark few (a d1 coach) recruited him

Can anyone else add any?

ZagNative
05-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Meech's Eval on ESPN recruit tracker (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44102&univLogin02=stateChanged), where he has a Scout, Inc., grade of 88, and ranks #80 on their top 100. Per their explanation of their gradng system:

Scouts Inc. High School Grading System
80-89: High Major Prospect

Player has the potential to start or significantly contribute as a freshman for most top national Division I programs.Scout, Inc.'s Eval notes:

Evaluation

Goodson is a high major point guard. Although a bit small, he is very quick and athletic. Demetri is a true leader, and has the proper mentality to play the point and run a team. He can really push the ball down the court and he gets wherever he wants with it. He gets into the paint at will and can get it to the rim with his athleticism and explosion. In addition Goodson has great vision and is a very good passer. He can also score but he may need to improve his perimeter jumper and extend his range out to the 3-point line so defenders can not back off him at all. I love this kid, but I do think we need to keep our expectation in check. I believe that Mark Few tries to shield his players, especially freshmen, from unrealistic expectations.

And Scrabble, if you are irritated by over-the-top speculation, you're going to find it tough going here on the board, as many of us have more than a little Ed Grimley in us when it comes to Zag basketball, I must say ...

sonuvazag
05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
The point guard role, in Pargo's absence, would be Matt Bouldin's to lose... Mark Few's tendencies in PT have been favorable to Matt so far.

While Matt apparently doesn't cherish the scorer role, he does have good court vision, a dispassionate demeanor, and a knack for passes that lead to baskets.

Aside from his difficulties dribbling through traffic, he really has most of the attributes and the mentality normally associated with true point guards. Not to mention his back-to-the-basket abilities would be accentuated when matched up up with other team's 1's and 2's.

gamagin
05-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Matt just is not the guy I want as pg under practically any circumstances.

As good and athletic as he is, he is not fast enough for the rabbits (flies?) that tend to go after and harass and swarm any p.g.

JP gets by on his speed & quickness. Matt's quickness is more his ability to do the unpredictable, imo, like pass when feigning to shoot, or dishing when driving, to an open man.

But as far as the sort of ability to fend off a double team, or out run it or even throw the ball inbounds, well, there's something that's just missing.

Perhaps maturity and confidence will overcome that, but I saw easy and early frustration more than I saw a budding point guard last season.

Around the edges, posting up for a shot, finding the open man (not after dribbling up court but after the p.g. has done that) is where Matt steps up, imo.

A playmaker after the table has been set. Not a table setter.

Same on defense, I don't think he would last more than five minutes pressing the other guy's point guard (most of them) up to midcourt and then chasing that same guy around in circles for too long before simply running out of gas.

He's too big. Too thick. More physical & highly intelligent than dextrous, imo.

I just don't think p.g. is his game. Around the edges, not as the quarterback.

Gray, I believe, can get the ball to where we need it to get.

Gray has been touted as perhaps the best shooter we have (this from the practice sessions in which he emerged as a starter, surprising many).

He's also very fast, agile and quick, too. Inexperienced at D1, perhaps, but he does have a season under him now.

The times I saw him try he may have looked a little intimidated, but he can fly, like JP and that means, like JP, he can also outrun alot of potential tie ups and problems while developing his p.g. skills. JP needed time, too, but he had the quickness and we all waited for him to reign things in.

If JP leaves, and I don't believe he will, I think Gray will at least be the first choice to succeed JP.

I agree w/those who have grave doubts about a freshman coming in ready to take over. I'm not saying impossible. Just highly unlikely.

Good thread. thanks.

MickMick
05-23-2008, 10:22 PM
If Pargo leaves, we won't have to worry about any final four (or even any Sweet 16) appearances in the near future.

I respectfully disagree. I wholeheartedly disagree. This team will not flounder in Jeremy's absence.

jim77
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
I think that Matt should get the starting spot, with sharpshooting Steven Gray at the 2. I like Matt's passing abilities and his court vision...remember what he did to NC early in the first half his freshmen year???? We have not seen the best he has.....besides he's got one heck of a cast to work with.