PDA

View Full Version : Coach Michelle Elliott

BobZag
05-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Congratulations, Michelle!

Gonzaga University women’s basketball head coach Kelly Graves has announced the hiring of Michelle Elliott as an assistant on the Zags coaching staff. Elliott is no stranger to the Bulldogs program having just completed a two-year playing stint. Elliott fills a void in the Gonzaga coaching staff left by Jennifer Mountain who took over as head coach at Santa Clara University. Current assistant coaches Jodie Kaczor Berry and Lisa Mispley Fortier have both been promoted.

“We could not be more excited about Michelle joining our staff,” stated Graves. “She exemplifies everything that is good about Gonzaga University and our basketball program. She is a great natural leader, always positive and very enthusiastic. Michelle is extremely bright and articulate and knows and believes in our coaching staff, team, and system. I anticipate that she will continue to inspire our players as a coach just like she did as a player and I know with all my heart that she’ll be a tremendous representative of our university and basketball program. I could not think of anyone more fitting for this position at this time.”

Elliott joined the Bulldogs for the 2006-07 season from Columbia Basin College in her hometown of Pasco, Wash., after two seasons at San Diego State University. She eclipsed the 1,000 point plateau for her career, amassing 1,215 points. At Gonzaga, she scored 626 points, brought down 222 rebounds, dished out 126 assists and made 53 steals. She closed out her Zag career draining 103 three-pointers to stand seventh on the GU career record book for three-pointers made. Elliott also hit nine three-pointers in a single contest during her senior season to break a 14-year-old Bulldog record held by Ivy Safranski.

Elliott was a two-time West Coast Conference winter all-academic honoree and was named the Most Inspirational Player by her teammates both years with Gonzaga.

Elliott adds to a familiar staff which consists of Kaczor Berry, who enters her sixth year with the Bulldogs, fourth as an assistant, and Mispley Fortier, in her second stint with GU, fourth year total.

“I have great confidence in my assistant coaches, all of whom are rising stars in our business,” explained Graves. “I feel extremely confident that both Jodie and Lisa can and are able to accept greater roles within our program. We are certainly going to miss Jennifer Mountain, she meant a lot to this program, but I feel strongly that our coaching staff is and will be as good as any we’ve ever had. It’s only a matter of time before they will be heading their own teams.”

Gonzaga closed out the 2007-08 campaign with a 25-9 overall record and a 13-1 mark in the West Coast Conference. The Bulldogs, who won the WCC regular-season crown for the fourth-straight season, earned a bid into the Women’s National Invitational Tournament for the third time in five years.

Zagineer
05-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks, BZ.

Obviously, no learning curve or culture adjustment necessary for this Assistant Coach. :clap:

Oldsport
05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
The end of a player's life, then rebirth as a Zag Coach.:)

Michelle Elliott is so much a part of the Lady Zag Family. I am so pleased that she has become a Lady Zag Coach. My crystal ball says she will be a great one with a flare for recruiting talented players. One difference between a good coach and a great coach could be LOVE of the program. Michelle will only reinforce our basketball program.:)

Michelle Elliott, welcome to the next step in your destiny.:clap: