PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin & GU grew up together

gamagin
05-21-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.enzepplopedia.com/archives/article1.php

RenoZag
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Amazing bit of rock n roll history. . .thanks for posting this, gamagin !

Rubbadub
05-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Amazing bit of rock n roll history. . .thanks for posting this, gamagin !

Seconded.

TheBeast
05-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Dude, that is awesome.

Zagpower
05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Awesome story. Were any of you there?

I got to catch Paige and Plant at the Gorge many years ago when they played accompanied by a symphony. It was great.

xjzico
05-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Seem to recall reading this trip almost killed them- combination of lifestyle and driving in a snowstorm.

RenoZag
05-21-2008, 05:48 PM
So this means I can say that I have something in common with Led Zepp:

We were all wasted at one point on the GU campus. . .

TheBeast
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
So this means I can say that I have something in common with Led Zepp:

We were all wasted at one point on the GU campus. . .

:applause:

Rubbadub
05-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Were any of you there?

Rub's parents were still in elementary school when this happened. :p

RenoZag
05-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Gee, I was in elementary school when this happened. . .that must make me OLD

Birddog
05-22-2008, 07:08 PM
The 68/9 winter was one of the snowiest on record. This year in Spokaloo may have broken it, but we were starting on a record by late Dec 68. Many students were stranded in Spokane for a few extra days after classes let out for Christmas break because of a big snowstorm. I don't remember that particular night being extra cold.

I did not see the concert, I was working for the Great Northern Railroad over the holidays and I was in Wenatchee. I remember that because the next night, New Years Eve, I was waist deep in snow up near Brewster moving box cars around.

There are underground tapes of this concert that still survive. Zeppelin collectors covet them, though I've heard the quality is pretty rough.

It was just a couple months or so earlier that Steppenwolf came to the Coliseum and their opening act was a then unheard of group called Three Dog Night. Steppenwolf had all sorts of technical problems and ended up playing only about 30 to 45 mins, much of it accompanied by boos. Three Dog Night stole the show. "Easy to be Hard", their first gold record and top 10 hit came in 69 I believe.

Abe should know a good deal more about all this, he was a promoter too.

Zagpower
05-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Wow! Some of you guys are youngsters. I remember going to see a Ted Nugent Concert at CWU in Ellensburg in the late 70's or early 80's and watched Ted get blown off the stage by an unknown opening act of Sammy Hagar.

Karlos2121
02-21-2009, 08:17 PM
If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a bootleg of that 1968 concert on the interwebs.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6535/itunes001.png

gamagin
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a bootleg of that 1968 concert on the interwebs.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6535/itunes001.png

post !

thanks,

Angelo Roncalli
02-23-2009, 02:01 PM
The ad from the Spokesman reproduced in the story brought back many memories.

Over various summers, I worked at the Garland, Post, North Cedar and East Sprague theatres/drive-ins. Back in those days, they were a local chain called "Favorite Theaters." Joe Rosenfield was the owner. Joe later sold the chain to SRO--Sterling Recreation Organization.

Then there's the ad for the Cinema. Old timers will remember the Cinema and the El Rey.

GoZags
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Just noticed the new tag. Are the Dungeness plentiful?

http://www.island.wsu.edu/camano/harden/utsalady.htm

FWIW, this image clearly show Cape Horn on Hammersley Inlet. Good crab, oysters and geoducks.

http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/shorephotos/scripts/bigphoto.asp?id=MAS0147

gamagin
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
The ad from the Spokesman reproduced in the story brought back many memories.

Over various summers, I worked at the Garland, Post, North Cedar and East Sprague theatres/drive-ins. Back in those days, they were a local chain called "Favorite Theaters." Joe Rosenfield was the owner. Joe later sold the chain to SRO--Sterling Recreation Organization.

Then there's the ad for the Cinema. Old timers will remember the Cinema and the El Rey.

at all of those theatres.

I was the guy blowing past you from the back door, running and hiding after sneaking in. Or at the drive-ins, I was the guy in the trunk.

Even on family nights, except when it was a whole carload (unlimited number) for a buck.

Karlos2121
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
post !

thanks,

Link (http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/led-zeppelin-1968-12-30-spokane-washington-zd-wav-70084.html) to WAV files

Youtube Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALjWAv_bXk) (dazed and confused...search youtube for more)

Rapidshare link (http://rapidshare.com/files/204988550/1968-ZeppatGONZAGA.rar) (mp3 format+covers)

Album Artwork Link (http://www.zeppelinart.com/browse.asp?dir=1968%2F1968-12-30+gonzaga)

google is amazing....isn't it?

edit:

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzaga_%2768) even has an entry on it:

Gonzaga '68 is a bootleg recording of the English rock group Led Zeppelin's performance at the Gonzaga University gymnasium, John F. Kennedy Pavilion in Spokane, Washington, on December 30, 1968.

The recording was first released on vinyl in the 1980s and has since been repackaged with other shows and released on CD.

Track listing

1. "Train Kept A-Rollin'"
2. "I Can't Quit You Baby"
3. "As Long As I Have You"
4. "Dazed and Confused"
5. "White Summer"
6. "How Many More Times"
7. "Pat's Delight"

229SintoZag
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
My parents were students then. Dad was class of '69. Mom was class of '71.

I wonder if they went, and if not, why not.

Birddog
03-31-2009, 07:53 PM
I wonder if they went, and if not, why not.
Check the date, they were home on Christmas vacation.

BobZag
04-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I was a bit too young in 1968 to see this concert. We lived close enough to Mt. Spokane to get absolutely hammered by all the snowfall that winter. My first concert in Kennedy was 1972.

Great find!

BobZag
04-04-2009, 04:37 PM
The 68/9 winter was one of the snowiest on record. This year in Spokaloo may have broken it, but we were starting on a record by late Dec 68. Many students were stranded in Spokane for a few extra days after classes let out for Christmas break because of a big snowstorm. I don't remember that particular night being extra cold.

I did not see the concert, I was working for the Great Northern Railroad over the holidays and I was in Wenatchee. I remember that because the next night, New Years Eve, I was waist deep in snow up near Brewster moving box cars around.

There are underground tapes of this concert that still survive. Zeppelin collectors covet them, though I've heard the quality is pretty rough.

It was just a couple months or so earlier that Steppenwolf came to the Coliseum and their opening act was a then unheard of group called Three Dog Night. Steppenwolf had all sorts of technical problems and ended up playing only about 30 to 45 mins, much of it accompanied by boos. Three Dog Night stole the show. "Easy to be Hard", their first gold record and top 10 hit came in 69 I believe.

Abe should know a good deal more about all this, he was a promoter too.

I was at that Steppenwolf concert. It was my very first rock concert. The Liverpool 5 was the group that played in-between Three Dog Night and Steppenwolf.

229SintoZag
04-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Check the date, they were home on Christmas vacation.

True, but in retrospect, no excuse to miss a Zeppelin concert.

kitzbuel
04-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Gee, I was in elementary school when this happened. . .that must make me OLD

I was one.

Despite the poor recording quality, the performance sounds fantastic. I absolutely love Plant's timbre and vibrato on I Can't Quit You.

NJZag
04-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Don sure knew how to book the great acts.

http://www.enzepplopedia.com/vol1_sample.pdf

R.I.P.

RenoZag
04-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for that link, NJ.

BobZag
04-28-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpytsMK41eQ&feature=related

Kinda cool to hear the intros.

skolapper
09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I am not a Led Zep fan but would love to heard warm up by Keith Emerson with Chris Squire and Alan White of Yes. Rick Wakeman could not make the re-arranged date. I believe that they played Aaron Coplands "Fanfare for the Common Man".

CDC84
09-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Nobody could have known that night in Spokane how huge the band would end up being.

Not sure if people realize this, but Zeppelin is the biggest selling rock band of all time besides The Beatles (who, you could argue, are more of a pop group). When the surviving members were interviewed on the Today Show for their DVD a few years back, it was pointed out that they had sold over 300 million albums worldwide. That's more than the Stones. What's amazing about that number is that the Zep only put out 9 albums from 1969-1979, and there have only been a handful of compilations released since their dissolution. By comparison, the Stones have produced 24 studio albums in the U.S., 8 live records, and innumerable compilations. And what's even more amazing about that figure is that Zeppelin sold those records despite: 1) Being the most critically hated band of the 1970's 2) Rarely giving interviews 3) Never having a major hit single besides "Whole Lotta Love."

BTW - Zep's first album came out 2 weeks after that Spokane show on January 12, 1969. The band literally made their first record at Olympic Sound Studios in London 3 weeks after forming.

gamagin
11-13-2009, 12:27 PM
My wife, nephew, Mike, & I attended the "West Fest" at Golden Gate park in San Francisco a few weeks ago. It was a 40th anniversary tribute to Woodstock, Haight-Ashbury & the Hippie '60's.

And a great excuse to let loose. So we did. Flowers in our hair . . . flowers everywhere . . . Hell's Angels, too.

There were two stages about a quarter mile apart featuring all kinds of (mostly local) bands imitating acts that were featured at Woodstock.

I guesstimate there were 15-20k wandering through the fog (none of it real), the food and the booths as the bands performed 5-10 minute gigs and then were replaced by others. This went on all day long in 75-80 degree temps, clear skies and bright sun.

A perfect day with several thousand of our new best friends. Perfect.

But here's why I post here. Because Led Zeppelin was there. In a way.

Here is how we discovered them.

Mike & I entered a tent where bootleg CD's were being sold. Thousands of them.

These were not copies in the sense they had been copied off studio cuts bought in stores. They were all recorded at the actual concerts by someone & were dated and authenticated as much as anyone could authenticate something.

There is a huge collectible audience for these cuts, some of which are extremely rare. Like stamps, people hunt them down, at booths like this, all over the country.

The big fellow selling the CD's was a well known collector, trader, character, and was generally considered an honest bootlegger.

While I thumbed through the various boxes of homemade CD covers to see what I was interested in (like nearly every Grateful Dead concert ever), my nephew grabbed one out of the pile and asked the fellow "How much?"

"Whoa, man," the bootlegger enthused said, "THAT is the rarest of the rare. You have a GREAT eye! THAT recording is the first Led Zeppelin concert they ever did! You ever heard of Gonzaga University ? It was recorded at that school in Washington. the year is on the cover."

The exchange caught my attention and I looked at the CD and gave it back to Mike. Mike and I had had not mentioned this thread or the Led's connection to GU in our conversation before. I should have. Mike is a fairly avid collecter.

But it hadn't come up. So I was surprised that Mike had spotted, much less selected this particular CD. Both his parents are GU grads so maybe that caught his eye.

"How much?" Mike asked.

"Thirty dollars." Efforts to cut that down failed so Mike bought it, brought it out of the tent and showed me his new purchase. Since I had heard the first part of their conversation, I told mike I was well aware of the concert and had written about it.

Before I wrote this post, I emailed Mike to see how his CD was and what he had this to about his discovery & his new CD:

"It's a good CD although in some parts it's a bit muffled. The show took place around New Years 1968 and they opened for Vanilla Fudge. I've read that the temperature inside the Kennedy Pavillion was right around freezing so playing guitar was probably bordering on excruciating.

I bought the CD for $30.00 and the guy would take no less. He said it was the only one he had and was surprised that he even brought it."

Cheers, Mike

To be continued . .

gamagin
11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Mike, a collector who follows this stuff closely, emailed me the following historical tidbit after reading my post.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the CD is the first known recording of the band (this we knew). I think it was their fourth show as Led Zeppelin (this I didn't know). Thank goodness someone snuck a portable tape player in (no small task in those days; they were probably as big as a shoe box).

Mike

southsider
01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the memories.
I was at the Steppenwolf concert and the Vanilla Fudge concert too.Thankfully we have the internet now as I can remember more than one beer in the face incident as those who were there tried to convince others of Led Zeppelins performance over the years following the concert.. The best word would be startled to describe my reaction to the performance.It was talked about for years among those of us that went together and was a marker event for some.
I sat above the stage on the south side for the Steppenwolf concert.At the last song he said "they told me I couldn't play this song" and invited the audience to come on stage.As members of the audience started streaming onstage he(John Kay) began to sing the Pusher,the sound to the guitar amps was turned off and he said,I'll sing it with just drums,I could see a commotion around the drummer(cops and audience)and then he said (very irritated)I'll sing it with the *****tambourine,which he proceeded to do.We decided to make a quick exit at this time as the stage was in chaos below us.People were trying to pull the curtains down which were being closed.

xjzico
02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
http://ledzeppelin.com/image/photos-home/led-zeppelin/1968-1969/spokane-1968-1
A few photos from the show.

Page sporting a psychedelic Fender Telecaster.

gamagin
06-15-2010, 03:12 PM
enjoy !

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/a_to_zeppelin_the_story_of_led_zeppelin/