PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for the Dance

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-07-2007, 06:18 AM
More than any other year, this year's lengthy stretch btwn WCC Championship game and Rd 1 of the tourney will benefit the Zags. With such a great coaching staff, the Zags are sure to benefit from the opportunity to further tweak and/or fine-tune the post-Cheney set plays and strategies. What kind of stuff do people think the staff will focus on? What would you like to see them do differently...if anything?

As Reborn mentioned in his Bouldin love thread post, the Zags have really made teams pay for placing their wing players on DRav by looking to have Bouldin post up the smaller 2-guards trying to defend him. When Pendo and Downs are playing as our 'post players,' I hope the Zags do more of these guard post-up sets. Clear out the lane and run a play for either Bouldin or Pargo to post up their man......lvg Micah, Pendo, DR on the outside ready to stroke it. I'm also hoping they work more on their press with Micah at the front of it.....thus far it's been mainly a 'soft press' meant primarily to chew up shot-clock time, but Downs et al have still been able to create turnovers out of it. Practicing a more aggressive version of the same press could, imo, create a lot of havoc.

FuManShoes
03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
I hope they work on these things:

-Get healthy. Need Pargo and Mallon to heal up as much as possible. Sean's been very limited and if this team can't run, it can't win.

-Practice free throws

-Pargo needs to gain some confidence in his shot. After a nice stretch of games shooting the ball, his shot has looked off both from the field and from the free throw line. It could be the injury, but I also think he's lacking some confidence in his jumper. Hopefully he can rediscover it.

-Develop a new end-of-shot-clock play or fine tune the one they had been using with Pargo getting a high screen. It's been a few games since they actually had to use the play, but I still get ill thinking about how ugly the end of regulation was against Memphis. With Downs in the lineup, they should have more options.

-Work on denying the entry passes to the post. The Zags have doen a pretty good job of offsetting their size disadvantage but need to continue working on fronting the post and deflecting passes without getting called for cheap fouls.

BobZag
03-07-2007, 09:19 AM
I hope they work on these things:

-Get healthy. Need Pargo and Mallon to heal up as much as possible. Sean's been very limited and if this team can't run, it can't win.

-Practice free throws

-Pargo needs to gain some confidence in his shot. After a nice stretch of games shooting the ball, his shot has looked off both from the field and from the free throw line. It could be the injury, but I also think he's lacking some confidence in his jumper. Hopefully he can rediscover it.

-Develop a new end-of-shot-clock play or fine tune the one they had been using with Pargo getting a high screen. It's been a few games since they actually had to use the play, but I still get ill thinking about how ugly the end of regulation was against Memphis. With Downs in the lineup, they should have more options.

-Work on denying the entry passes to the post. The Zags have doen a pretty good job of offsetting their size disadvantage but need to continue working on fronting the post and deflecting passes without getting called for cheap fouls.

FuMan is right on. Get healthy, continue to hone the offense and defense, practice FTs, implement some new wrinkles.

devod
03-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Kuso -

1) On defense when his man receives the ball, avoid constantly pushing into him.

2) Going straight up.

3) Avoiding jumping at every head-fake.

jonesed
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
An elegant post, Dr. Flex. I agree they need to stroke it more, but in order to stroke it, it comes down to 4 words:

Fun
Da
Men
Tals

We take continue to take advantage of post Cheney strategic restructuring through sticking to the fundamentals of basketball, and Gonzagasaurus Flex will be drinking from the sweet waters of vicarious greatness.

UberZagFan
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
-Practice free throws

Agreed. And when they are done practicing free throws, they should practice some more free throws. And then maybe sit down with a sports psyche and discuss the mental toughness needed to knock down that first free throw. And then they should practice some more free throws. And then they should run up and down the court for 30 minutes and then go to the line and only be allowed to shoot 2 (not 10, not 15, not 20 but 2) and have to make them both. Then run 2 more minutes and then to the line for just 2 and so on and so on until Few gets tired watching them*. Try that for a week and get back to regular practice next week.

*I had a coach in baseball who was hitting us infield/outfield practice, doing situational plays (2 on, 1 out etc.). He got so pissed one day that he told us to take off around the track and not stop running "until he got tired" and then he proceeded to go over and sit down in the dugout. I didn't think that was a very funny line but I do now. F1D: you probably would have thrived under that situation but I on other hand nearly died.

jonesed
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
PS.
Woo! The madness is here! Check out sac heart and c Conn on the Deuce!

Outraged
03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
is focus. Get close and be a unit. Work on perfect execution.