PDA

View Full Version : Ronny

Angelo Roncalli
05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Three years and one life-threatening heart operation removed from Gonzaga University, Ronny Turiaf remains the same delightfully free-spirited individual who warmed the hearts of Gonzaga fans on and off the court with his passion for basketball and life.

Turiaf may have "gone Hollywood" on us, but only in the physical sense. In fact, even though Turiaf is now in his third season with the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers, he purchased a house in Spokane last year.

"Why not?" Turiaf asked Tuesday afternoon in a phone interview following the Lakers' final practice before tonight's opening game in the Western Conference finals with San Antonio. "That's (near) my school. I love going to Spokane in the summertime. I love going to Coeur d'Alene in the summertime, being outdoors."

Spokane won't soon forget Turiaf, and it's obvious the reverse is true. Turiaf rents out his home in Spokane to "one of my best friends," former Gonzaga and Woodinville High School baseball pitcher Josh Monroe.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/may/20/turiaf-plays-friends-and-foes-in-playoffs/

MickMick
05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Gotta love it. Ronny takes his genuine charisma to Los Angeles and wins the hearts of his team and the fans, yet he hasn't lost touch with where he started. Like John Stockton, his Spokane presence will help perpetuate the Gonzaga legacy.

He is a true blue Zag. I hope you get that championship ring Ronny!!

ZagNative
05-21-2008, 05:13 AM
There was a brief mention in a story about him a while back that he wanted to start a basketball camp in Spokane in the summer. Maybe it will come to pass ...

From game six of the Western Conference Finals May 16, 2008, with Jordan Farmar, and Chris Mihm, the leader of the joy conga line:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Turiaf/Rony%20in%20NBA/2008-05-16RonnyJazzgamesixcelebrate.jpg

Zagalicious
05-21-2008, 07:17 AM
...bring on the tired old Spurs :D

Areyoukiddingme
05-21-2008, 08:03 AM
There was a brief mention in a story about him a while back that he wanted to start a basketball camp in Spokane in the summer. Maybe it will come to pass ...

From game six of the Western Conference Finals May 16, 2008, with Jordan Farmar, and Chris Mihm, the leader of the joy conga line:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Turiaf/Rony%20in%20NBA/2008-05-16RonnyJazzgamesixcelebrate.jpg

When was the last time you saw a conga line in the NBA?

sonuvazag
05-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Anyone else feel like the Lakers v. Spurs is essentially good vs. evil?

Pure
05-21-2008, 10:17 AM

Which is Good and which is evil ????

Rubbadub
05-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Lakers aren't good but Spurs are definitely evil.

sonuvazag
05-21-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm not a Lakers fan, but I see them as good because they oppose the Spurs which are absolutely evil.

Edited to add: Ronny and the bench mob are a likeable crew.

CelticZag
05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Spurs=Evil
Lakers=Quasi-Evil

LongIslandZagFan
05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Ronny and the way they treated Ronny certainly changed my vision of the Lakers by a long shot. It is hard to hate them when they did so much that they really DIDN'T have to do and they way they stuck by him.

thickman1
05-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Ronny and the way they treated Ronny certainly changed my vision of the Lakers by a long shot. It is hard to hate them when they did so much that they really DIDN'T have to do and they way they stuck by him.

Yes, absolutely true. I've never been a Laker's fan but wherever Ronny is, I'll be watching.

Zagdawg
05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Same with me here--- I will be a fan of whichever team Ronny plays for (yes even the Lakers).

scrabble08
05-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Come on now, evil? The Spurs are by no means fun to watch, but if you appreciate good basketball you have to respect what they have done and how they have done it. In an era of "me first", low- basketball- IQ play, the Spurs have been consistently dominant by signing and developing quality people who understand how to play basketball the right way, and what "team" truly means. I will not be rooting for them, only for selfish reasons, as I enjoy the style of the Lakers, but I will be respecting how they get the job done.

ZagNut08
05-21-2008, 02:36 PM
if for no other reason, chear for the lakers because if they win, my brother gets a championship ring :)

sonuvazag
05-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Come on now, evil? The Spurs are by no means fun to watch, but if you appreciate good basketball you have to respect what they have done and how they have done it. In an era of "me first", low- basketball- IQ play, the Spurs have been consistently dominant by signing and developing quality people who understand how to play basketball the right way, and what "team" truly means. I will not be rooting for them, only for selfish reasons, as I enjoy the style of the Lakers, but I will be respecting how they get the job done.
FWIW, a team qualifies as evil only when they are highly successful. That the Spurs are a team many love to hate speaks directly to their success. They are an enemy of many teams because of their dominance. There is no questioning that they operate as a unit with many dutiful, selfless types.

What I see as evil in the Spurs is their willingness, and perhaps eagerness, to resort to below the belt tactics.

On merit, I believe the Lakers will win, but you can never tell what tricks, dirty or not, the Spurs have up their sleeves.

BobZag
05-21-2008, 04:47 PM
if for no other reason, chear for the lakers because if they win, my brother gets a championship ring :)

But will it buy a house on Balboa Island? :D

ZagNative
05-21-2008, 04:53 PM
FWIW, the Lakers-Spurs is on in a few minutes, at 6:00 pm. It's on TNT, #54 on Comcast in Spokane.

Have a nice game, Ronny!

ZagNative
05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Slam dunk Ronny!

ZagNut08
05-21-2008, 06:27 PM
But will it buy a house on Balboa Island? :D

No, but I'll give him a discount if he wants to stay in my guest room :)

MedZag
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM

You forgot the furious indignation in which they approach every foul call against them, the dramatic high flying flops, and the questionable tactics of Bowen and recently-initiated Horry.

But yeah, Spurs play good ball. Most of my hate stems from the fact that they have just been too damn good too damn long.

Slam dunk Ronny!

Offensive board AND jam over Duncan. Ronny's playing big tonight.

ZagNative
05-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Geez, what happened? Lakers were down by maybe three pts., Ronny had just had a slam dunk and had 3 points, after playing only three minutes (per gametracker). I got distracted for a while and didn't watch the game, and by the time I get back to it, the Lakers are down by 15 points four minutes into the third, and Ronny's back on the bench after only playing 5 minutes total and having just one foul. Lakers are playing with no energy.

MedZag
05-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Geez, what happened? Lakers were down by maybe three pts., Ronny had just had a slam dunk and had 3 points, after playing only three minutes (per gametracker). I got distracted for a while and didn't watch the game, and by the time I get back to it, the Lakers are down by 15 points four minutes into the third, and Ronny's back on the bench after only playing 5 minutes total and having just one foul. Lakers are playing with no energy.

Just as quickly, game back to 6 points.

Weird.

Areyoukiddingme
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Kobe showed up in the 3rd