PDA

View Full Version : Bol Kong

MississppiZag
05-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Is Bol Kong as a Zag official? If so, when will he arrive and begin to practice? I do not remember hearing if the visa issue was resolved, and that he was going to come to GU in '08. Just wondering if he was going to be here anytime soon, even if he does have to sit out the first year.

Ziggy
05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Can't wait for his jersey to become available! Imagine it "KONG". Of course it would be nice if he added 6 inches in the next year to add to the spectre. :D

BroncoZAG615
05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=rivals-217664&prov=rivals&type=lgns

It's definite Mississippi, no clue as to when he will arrive but I assume this summer. He will have to sit out this year due to eligibility but should be practicing soon. Apparently all the Visa stuff is set.

zagco
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
You gotta love the name "Bol Kong." He should trademark it, because you know that Nintendo has its eyes on it: BOL KONG, the latest game in the Donkey Kong universe of games.

VinnyZag
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
So far as I know, only Meyers and maybe some Canadian press local to Kong's area are the only one reporting that he's coming to GU. Meehan at the Spokesman hasn't touched it, and I wonder why. He wrote the Arop story ... makes me wonder if something's going on.

BobZag
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Meehan has to be cautious and wait for official word from Gonzaga. But what Meyer wrote was directly from a coach, just not "officially."

"KONG!"

ZagNative
05-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I have wondered if the reason for the quiet about this up north (from Bol Kong and his coach) is that he's still awaiting some visa issues to be settled and doesn't want to seem presumptuous nor to rock the boat politically until it's a done deal visa-wise.

sittingon50
05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm not understanding why he has to sit a year?

tyra
05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Earlier threads seemed to indicate that JUCO transfers form Canada are treated the same as in-country D1 transfers.

Scotto
05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Its because he only played one year. If he had stayed at his JUCO for a second year he could play right away when transfering.

Psychozag
05-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Which is good, right, because that means he will still have 3 years of eligibility left? At least I hope that is what it means.

BobZag
05-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Which is good, right, because that means he will still have 3 years of eligibility left? At least I hope that is what it means.

Yup.

VinnyZag
05-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Meehan has to be cautious and wait for official word from Gonzaga. But what Meyer wrote was directly from a coach, just not "officially."

"KONG!"

He could get it from Kong himself, or Kong's college coach, or any number of other sources. Papers report commitments all the time before it comes officially from a university. Just makes me wonder, that's all.

then again, maybe I'm just being a little paranoid.

sittingon50
05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
I still don't follow. I'm not aware of a (U.S.) JC player automatically having to sit a year after transfering to a D-1. Bakari Hendrix comes to mind.

Scotto
05-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I still don't follow. I'm not aware of a (U.S.) JC player automatically having to sit a year after transfering to a D-1. Bakari Hendrix comes to mind.

Most JUCO players transfer after completing 2 years of Jr College. So they can transfer without sitting. Bol is coming to Gonzaga after one year of JUCO, which is the same as transferring from Div 1 school to another Div 1 school.

hondo46
05-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Think the rule is if you qualify out of high school (sat score etc) then you can transfer after 1 year or maybe anytime. If you don't qualify out of high school then you need to get the JC degree. Bakari had the grades and sat score out of high school to go D1 but choose the JC route in order to get better D1 offers.

sittingon50
05-21-2008, 09:39 PM
That seems logical (even with the NCAA involved!!). Thanks.

Birddog
05-22-2008, 05:12 AM
I think you can also play immediately WO sitting a year if you get your Associates degree from the JC. Theoretically a kid could enroll in Summer right out of HS, pile on the credits, and then be eligible. This would obviously be easier if you graduate in Dec. More and more kids are doing this and enrolling in College for the Spring semester. This is becoming more popular for football players.

OU has a kid that plays backup QB that played 1 year JC and has his 3rd year of D1 this season. He didn't sit out a year because of a scenario similar to the above. It would be harder to do in basketball because of the time frame.

SteelCityZag
05-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Some people have stated this previously, but I looked this one up because it was making me mental. From the NCAA's 2007-2008 Transfer 101 Guide:

"If you are now in a two-year school and have never previously
attended a four year institution/school…

If you are now in a two-year school, never previously attended a four-year school, and want to transfer to a four-year school, we sometimes refer to you as a 2-4 transfer. Here are the rules that generally apply to you. If you have previously attended a four-year school prior to enrolling in the two-year school, go to the 4-2-4 rules on page 22. Note: If you are a foreign student and attend a school outside of the United States, go to the rules for athletes who are now in a four-year school on Page 19, even if you are in a two-year school."

The bolded part applies to Kong. Transfers from foreign Jucos are treated the same as D1 transfers. He has to sit out a red-shirt transfer year.

sittingon50
05-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks Steel & Dog; the whole thing was making me mental also!:explode: