PDA

View Full Version : The forgotten recruit: Andy Poling

pbriz
05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
All of this buzz about 09 recruits has left me feeling as if we haven't spent enough time appreciating the 08 recruits we have signed, especially Andy Poling.

I think alot of us have forgotten that Poling was once a top 15 recruit. He is very, very talented and just needs to add some strength and play against guys like Sacre, Josh, and other D1 big men. He has all the moves, just needs strength and he seems determined.

Just a random thought on a Tuesday, but I think we will see some great things with Poling after a year of experience or a red shirt year.

PortlandbasedZag
05-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Great point pbriz!

I think Poling with a red-shirt along with a really talented becoming-a-monster (hopefully!) Sacre would be a super talented front-line, and would make it really tough for anyone to play to our height, esp if we were to also have either Daye or Kong playing the 3.

I think because of the fact most of us are just assuming he'll need a red-shirt year means he isn't on the fore-front of our minds.

finechina2003
05-20-2008, 12:27 PM
He is very, very talented and just needs to add some strength and play against guys like Sacre, Josh, and other D1 big men. He has all the moves, just needs strength and he seems determined.

So what are Poling's summer plans?

zag67
05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
PBIZ, I also have to agree and say good points. I think that when Andy gets to work a complete year with the coaches and the players, we will hopefully see a talented 4. Then if we can get a backups for both Poling and Sacre, we will be in very good shape for the next couple of years.

75Zag
05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Andy needs to gain strength and muscle, but mostly he needs to learn to shoot a jump hook. He never had one in high school which seemed very strange for a big kid. If he can stand his ground in the paint against D1 players and make short hooks, GU is going to have a tremendous weapon for years to come.

Buckwheat
05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I really don't have a good idea on what Poling is as a ball player. I've heard the comments about his finesse post game and think that might work well alongside Rob. The other day, someone posted that Poling is in the mold of Gourde and Mallon. That kind of concerned me. Is that a fair comparison?

ZagFanatic
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I know Andy was sick for quite some time and dropped off the radar, but a kid doesn't attain a top 10-15 ranking without displaying some serious skills and potential. Granted, it was earlier on in his high school career, but I remember when his verbal was announced it was big, big news for GU. Not only was he (at the time) the highest ranked kid this program had ever pulled in, but you just knew that the commitment might be that breakthrough for the program to attract other upper echelon recruits.

I think if Andy hadn't gotten sick and had been able to sustain that high level ranking, the conversations about him on this board, and on national recruiting sites, would be dramatically different today than they are. We'd be talking about our other recruits as "complementary pieces" built around him. I realize he has to gain strength, but I am still bemused at how certain a lot of folks seem to be that he is definitively a red-shirt this coming year. He may have lost a year of development, but with his skillset he can be a contributor. I'm excited to see him on the court.

spudzag
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
One injury and Andy will likely be needed. Always hate to see someone pressed into action, but it could happen.

I'm converned about Josh's health given his history. One the injures start it's offer hard to stay healthy. But going to keep my fingers crossed.

jake
05-20-2008, 05:55 PM
II realize he has to gain strength, but I am still bemused at how certain a lot of folks seem to be that he is definitively a red-shirt this coming year. He may have lost a year of development, but with his skillset he can be a contributor. I'm excited to see him on the court.

This is only the opinion of a fan. I'm far from a recruiting or player development expert. However, I would be surprised if too many people that saw Andy play this year would think he has a chance of being a significant contributer next year. In my opinion, his post moves are not as refined as many seem to imply and while he is very talented, I don't think he is a ready to play guy that is only lacking strength.

I think Andy will develop into a solid player at GU. Again, my opinion only, but if the expectation is that Andy would have been a top 10-15 player in the country this year without the illness his junior year, we're setting the bar at a level that might not be realisitc.

MedZag
05-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I think if Andy hadn't gotten sick and had been able to sustain that high level ranking, the conversations about him on this board, and on national recruiting sites, would be dramatically different today than they are. We'd be talking about our other recruits as "complementary pieces" built around him. I realize he has to gain strength, but I am still bemused at how certain a lot of folks seem to be that he is definitively a red-shirt this coming year. He may have lost a year of development, but with his skillset he can be a contributor. I'm excited to see him on the court.

Anyone remember what Andy's diagnosis eventually was? I know doctors were really scratching their heads for a while there.

thespywhozaggedme
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Okay, two of you have said that he was a top 15 player (in the country, I'm assuming). I'm not saying that he wasn't but can anyone provide a link? Thanks

Nevtelen
05-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Anyone remember what Andy's diagnosis eventually was? I know doctors were really scratching their heads for a while there.

IIRC it was some sort of allergy. Gluten allergy maybe? I don't remember that for sure, but definitly some type of allergy.

ZagNative
05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Okay, two of you have said that he was a top 15 player (in the country, I'm assuming). I'm not saying that he wasn't but can anyone provide a link? ThanksI don't know if the Scout ranking as it existed at the time of Andy's recruitment (after he drew attention at the Kingwood Clasic) still exists on line, but you can go over onto Scout and, if you have a subscription, look back on wome of the glowing reviews, including language like this one fron the North Carolina Scout site (http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/524419.html), from April 26, 2006:

Scout.com’s 3rd ranked center in the class of 2008 mentioned Gonzaga, Washington, UCLA and Arizona as the schools that are showing the most interest. However, he’s still in the early stages of his recruitment, and would love to see more coaches at his games this weekend in Las Vegas.

westcoasthoops101
05-20-2008, 10:38 PM
For a guy that was once "Top 15 in the country" to be a 3 star player (still a decent rating) now is a fairly significant drop....what happened? :confused:

MedZag
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
IIRC it was some sort of allergy. Gluten allergy maybe? I don't remember that for sure, but definitly some type of allergy.

That's right, it was a gluten allergy.

For a guy that was once "Top 15 in the country" to be a 3 star player (still a decent rating) now is a fairly significant drop....what happened? :confused:

As nev pointed out, he developed a gluten allergy that went undiagnosed for the majority of his junior campaign. As a result, he lost a lot of weight, was continually worn down, and had a poor performance. He wasn't able to build strength, size, or skill that year. And the recruiters are unforgiving.

wazZag
05-21-2008, 07:33 AM
IIRC Rivals also had him as a 5 star, which I think is reserved for their top 25 or so players. Of course, also quite some time ago.

cjm720
05-21-2008, 07:34 AM
I can't wait to see him on the court. Go Andy Go

spudzag
05-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Those who track recruits have seen great potential in Andy. He was obviously knocked of his development path with the allergy problems, but has regained weight and hopefully bakc on track. I hold out high hopes for Andy developing into a skilled big. :cheers: