View Full Version : Adios Big Monday

jbslicer
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=15021

Not sad to see you go.

ZagNative
05-20-2008, 11:16 AM
And more ...

•Gonzaga is working on bringing the ESPN College GameDay broadcast to Spokane, likely for the non-conference game against Memphis. The Saturday night game usually airs on ESPN or ESPN2, with GameDay (highlights and analysis, typically with Digger Phelps, Jay Bilas and Hubert Davis) originating from the host site Saturday morning and evening, following the contest.

“We’re trying to find a date to work,” Roth said.

Gonzaga also is trying to put together a home tournament, likely a two-day, four-team event in November at the McCarthey Athletic Center. Participants haven’t been finalized.I wonder if they'd do the morning segment at the arena or at K2 ... It would be nice if it were at K2, but maybe the setup for the TV would be too complicated to move to the arena for the game.

Still, it's exciting to see BZ' earlier tentative news bit confirmed.

MedZag
05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
A shame for me. With my busy schedule, a 9pm game was one thing I could always count on as being able to watch.

I sympathize with the east coasters though.

BobZag
05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
And more ...
I wonder if they'd do the morning segment at the arena or at K2 ... It would be nice if it were at K2, but maybe the setup for the TV would be too complicated to move to the arena for the game.

Still, it's exciting to see BZ' earlier tentative news bit confirmed.

Most likely in the arena in the morning segment.

I was told the Zags Classic Tournament may happen this year but more than likely next year. This year was a trial balloon of sorts. Still, it could happen this year if the responses are good.

Akzag
05-20-2008, 02:28 PM
The Saturday night game usually airs on ESPN or ESPN2, with GameDay (highlights and analysis, typically with Digger Phelps, Jay Bilas and Hubert Davis) originating from the host site Saturday morning and evening, following the contest.

If Ak recalls correctly, once the beauty pagaent that is college football ends, the featured hoops game moves to ABC - which if they pick the Memphis game, and it is still scheduled in February, that looks like ABC (additionally, we get Erin, too! ;) )

mtzaga
05-20-2008, 03:38 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=15021

Not sad to see you go.

Good. The ESPN games were on too late. Unless you were a Zag fan, I don't think too many people living east of Ekalaka were tuning in.

CDC84
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
From Meehan's blog entry:

The tournament mentioned above likely would include teams that would have been on the schedule anyway. In other words, it's not going to be UCLA, Kansas and Michigan State. A two-day tournament gives opponents more incentive to come to the MAC because they get an extra game.

BoltZag
05-20-2008, 04:48 PM
If Ak recalls correctly, once the beauty pagaent that is college football ends, the featured hoops game moves to ABC - which if they pick the Memphis game, and it is still scheduled in February, that looks like ABC (additionally, we get Erin, too! ;) )

Not exactly. The game would actually be part of Saturday Primetime (which features, among other things, College GameDay). The game is never televised on ABC - it's either ESPN or ESPN2. The broadcast team does, however, generally include Erin Andrews, with Dan Shulman and Dick Vitale.

ABC games start the first or second week of Jan and are almost always in the 3:30 EST slot.

zagco
05-20-2008, 05:03 PM
The extremely late games have been horrible for us. Zagco's daughter is a big fan, but staying up until 10 o'clock at night on a Monday night (or even a Saturday night), was out of the question. ESPN has some bizzare programming, especially given that they've got plenty of it, yet still show reruns of people playing Texas Hold'em during prime viewing hours. Weird. Crap, at least with poker, you'd think someone would maybe decide to play a different TYPE of poker now and then!

bulldog89
05-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I hope "ESPN family" does not include ESPNU

Sarenyon
05-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm sure it will, for at least one of the games, if not more.

BoltZag
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm sure it will, for at least one of the games, if not more.

Yes, you can count on it.

CarolinaZagFan
05-22-2008, 06:55 AM
As long as they are on TV, I don't care what night. I would stay up til 2 to watch the Zags any night of the week.