PDA

View Full Version : OT: Casto qualified at WSU...

dpouley
05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=755888

I did not know if this had been posted, but it will be interesting to see how he does.

Zag 77
05-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Will wonders never cease.

sittingon50
05-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Congrats to him. Hope he has a positive outcome both on & off the court.

webspinnre
05-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Good for him. Hopefully he'll get the support he needs and be able to get his degree in addition to playing basketball.

gu03alum
05-20-2008, 07:35 AM
You think that WSU would learn after all the problems they are having with their football team. At least the NCAA is cracking down on schools taking 'questionable' students.

dpouley
05-20-2008, 08:26 AM
You think that WSU would learn after all the problems they are having with their football team. At least the NCAA is cracking down on schools taking 'questionable' students.

Well he has yet to make it through the NCAA clearing house. He has the qualifying scores, but still has another hurdle.

I hope the guy makes it in, I hate it when players that are talented enough to play division one sports can't make the grades to do so.

I guess another question is...is he talented enough to play division one hoops?

gamagin
05-20-2008, 09:01 AM
what he's doing.

With many great Washington high school athletes heading to prestigious D1 schools all over the country, Casto was THE MVP, having been instrumental as one of the key players on a team (Ferris) that has gone undefeated & won state championships for two straight years.

If this young man wants to play at D1 and beyond, he's going to have to apply himself in school, too.

I am positive Bennett and Casto have had that conversation and the leash will be short. I think it's a great opportunity for both and I wish them only the best outcome.

Kaduce
05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Well he has yet to make it through the NCAA clearing house. He has the qualifying scores, but still has another hurdle.

I hope the guy makes it in, I hate it when players that are talented enough to play division one sports can't make the grades to do so.

I guess another question is...is he talented enough to play division one hoops?

Seriously? Get a clue bud.

jbslicer
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I predict Casto will give the Zags grief during his four years at WSU. He will have Zag fans asking "why didn't we recruit him."

cggonzaga
05-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Casto would've been recruited all over the place if not for the grades and off court issues. Athletic 6'8 kids that can bang and can step out and stroke it are viewed very favorably amongst college coaches. If he gets his head on straight he'll be a force.

75Zag
05-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Congrats to the kid, and hope all goes well from here forward. He has had to live with some challenges and it would be nice to see him catch a few breaks.

If Casto plays to the potential he demonstrated in high school and can keep off-court issues in check, I would not be a bit surprised to see him play 2 at Cougville and head for the NBA. From the film I have seen of his high school games, he looks more like an NBA player than a D1 player.

dpouley
05-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Seriously? Get a clue bud.

Get a clue?

I asked a question, a question that is not unreasonable. Many analysts have said that they are unsure if Casto has the overall ability to play D1 hoops.

How does this assessment equal a guaranteed success in division one?

DeAngelo Casto (http://gonzaga.scout.com/a.z?s=130&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb&sFirstName=&sLastName=Casto&yr=2008)

Once again, I ASKED A QUESTION, because I was unsure of what the answer was.

MickMick
05-20-2008, 09:47 PM
I watched him play twice. Both times I though he was the best player on the court. I still don't know if he has what it take to play in the Pac 10.

The future Coug that I really like is that Simon kid from Ephrata. I think he is going to be a really solid player for the Cougs.

eastsideballer
05-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Seriously?????

7ICoug
05-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Get a clue?

I asked a question, a question that is not unreasonable. Many analysts have said that they are unsure if Casto has the overall ability to play D1 hoops.

How does this assessment equal a guaranteed success in division one?

DeAngelo Casto (http://gonzaga.scout.com/a.z?s=130&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb&sFirstName=&sLastName=Casto&yr=2008)

Once again, I ASKED A QUESTION, because I was unsure of what the answer was.

Can't argue with your question, and can't argue with others that question whether this player will reach enrollment, however, here is a much better analysis of Casto's ability against a GU recruit that is highly thought of in all circles.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/highschool/2008/04/northwest_shootout_boys_pregam.html

Here is my favorite quote, "DeAngelo Casto is a beast inside ... scratch that, he's a dragon slayer ... he blocked Schafer and Tapscott on consecutive possessions and threw down an emphatic dunk that cleared the whole lane out ... people who are 6-8 do things like that all the time ... they're all dragon slayers really"

These were Division I recruits to include GU's Andy Poling.

kyle dixon
05-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Did the Cubs win last night?

duper
05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
He demolished Poling. If Casto isn't a D-1 prospect that poling isn't a JC prospect. This being said let it be known Poling is a legit D-1 prospect.

ZagNative
05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Can't argue with your question, and can't argue with others that question whether this player will reach enrollment, however, here is a much better analysis of Casto's ability against a GU recruit that is highly thought of in all circles.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/highschool/2008/04/northwest_shootout_boys_pregam.html

Here is my favorite quote, "DeAngelo Casto is a beast inside ... scratch that, he's a dragon slayer ... he blocked Schafer and Tapscott on consecutive possessions and threw down an emphatic dunk that cleared the whole lane out ... people who are 6-8 do things like that all the time ... they're all dragon slayers really"

These were Division I recruits to include GU's Andy Poling.Nice post, 71Coug!

Maybe my reaction as a Zags fan when I saw he'd done well on the ACT was weird, but I found myself saying a prayer for Casto to succeed at WSU, both as a player and student. Perhaps my reaction came from the fact that my favorite nephew has always been a terrible test taker. He's a terrific, smart kid, with so much to offer, but doesn't do well on standardized tests. By working twice as hard as my kids ever did in HS, my nephew got decent grades, but like many minority students, he just doesn't do well on tests like the SAT and ACT. Now he has a chance to go to grad school, and the only impediment is getting a good enough GRE score, because the character and experience factors are all in my nephew's favor. Fingers crossed for him and for Angelo.

However, Casto does still need to graduate, per Vince's Blog yesterday at the SR (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7798):

• Though I'm not a subscriber, I understand CougFan has a Casto piece headlined "Casto makes the grade." I'm sure very little would make Coug basketball fans happier than to have that news confirmed.

Well, that's not possible right now.

It may very well end up being true. When grades are final. But there is still a couple weeks left in the Ferris High school year, and until the grades are on the transcript and the graduation requirements are met, no one can say Casto is eligible.

Casto must not only have a high enough grade point average on his core courses to pair with his SAT or ACT scores, he must also pass all his courses this semester and graduate. Just like every prospective student/athlete. And no one, not even Casto, will know if he's done that until school is out.

That's where it stands right now. If I can confirm any more, of course, I will pass it on.

So good luck to Angelo! Kick they a$$ ... except the Zags, of course ...

kjstoph1
06-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Nice post, 71Coug!

However, Casto does still need to graduate, per [URL="http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7798"]Vince's

Per Vince's Blog:

Casto graduates and other notes

COUGARS

Today was a big day for Washington State basketball's future as DeAngelo Casto, Washington 4A player of the year, walked down the aisle in the Spokane Arena and graduated from Ferris High.

Though his transcript hasn't officially reached WSU yet, a source there said they believe he will meet NCAA, Pac-10 and WSU eligibility requirements and will be able to enroll in school, as the graduation requirement was his biggest hurdle.

Casto's road to WSU has been tougher than driving 195 in January, after having attended three different high schools Ferris twice in his four years and struggling through grade and eligibility issues. But a strong last semester should lift the grades of the 6-foot-8 high school center to a level in which his test scores allow him to qualify.

If there is anymore to report on this, we'll have it.

gamagin
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
except against the Zags.