PDA

View Full Version : Arizona losing a blue chipper

23dpg
05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10831917

theothegreat21
05-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Great find. It will be interesting to see if Olson will let hin out of the scholorship. I imagine there will be quite a rush to sign a player of this talent this late.

BobZag
05-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Bayless, probably Budinger, possibly Wise and now Negedu. That's a lot to lose and expect to make the NCAAs, much less have a winning season.

If Jennings bails.........

ToreroStudent
05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Jennings could easily bail. We could be watching the very demise of Arizona basketball right before our eyes. How sad...

spudzag
05-18-2008, 05:34 PM
It's pretty clear Olson is the one who should have bowed out gracefully. This could bode well for Honeycutt's recruitment! :D

MississppiZag
05-18-2008, 05:47 PM
I think this news puts Gonzaga at the top of Honeycutt's list. With the demise of the Arizona program and the fact that UW is going after others at the same position as TH, Gonzaga could be the heavy favorite. There is also a chance that UW might not have enough scholarships to push hard for Honeycutt.

I hate to say it but this is great news as far as our recruiting goes. It's starting to look like we may be able to get Honeycutt a lot easier than i had previously imagined. I thought we would be in a fight with the rest of the PAC-10 after his performances in the AAU circuit.

Few and Co. need to make a hard push after Honeycutt and others as soon as possible. It does not help that there is almost a whole year before the players have to sign:)

MDABE80
05-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Kids voting with their feet? Not sure but it looks like it. AD at UA best get busy curing what's ailing the program. With these defections, it's likely UA is done with excellence for a few seasons or at least until the leadership changes. Lute's been a giant for them. It always looks SO bad when it's time to go but nobody tells the leader:( Sad really. Man...this string of events in Lute's life is getting long. I feel for him.

BobZag
05-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Most '09 recruits sign their LOIs in November.

maineblackbear
05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Someday someone much smarter than I will write a book about declining coaches-- but then there is Joe Paterno. How did he convince a very talented crew to remain (under his shadow and legacy) and maintain a relatively high competitive profile. [its not the 'play for a national championship every four years' like it was through the mid-90s, but this is a solid squad with a 500 year old coach--competing in the Big-11]

question-- one for the author of above to answer: How is it that some older coaches maintain . . .

and some older coaches lose it entirely? I mean, by lose it, the program, control, power, their legacy-- c'mon sure Woody Hayes was great, but I remember the game he hit the opposing player . . .

what do you think it is? What happened to Lute-- was his need to remain after his layoff the demise of the UA program?
mbb

MDABE80
05-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Do not go gentle into that good night....he lost his first wife to cancer and then he lost his second wife to.........well I won't say. His Basketball is about all he has left. O'Neill was apparently the coach in waiting but during this past year, he decided to chat a bit too much . So Lute's in a spot and U of A bball is about all he has now. Greanted it's a mess there. I'm not sure he can turn this loss of control of his own program....around.

Some things are interesting to watch...in a perverted sort of way. For me, this isn't one of them. I don't see any winners down there.......at least not in the short term. Best thing always happens though so ...I'm keeping anopen mind even though it look just terrible for now. TIme runs out fellas........it always does for everyone. Some things you'd fight for at age 40 or so just don't seem worth much when you're 70 or so. Let's hope this resolves for the betterment of everyone.l