PDA

View Full Version : Coach Graves talks '08 Recruiting

BobZag
05-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Gonzaga University women’s basketball head coach Kelly Graves has announced the addition of two players to the 2008-09 squad. Joining the Bulldogs next fall will be Katelan Redmon, a 6-1 guard/forward transfer from the University of Washington, and Kelly Bowen, a 6-0 wing/forward who completed high school at St. Peter’s College in Victoria, Australia. Redmon and Bowen join Kayla Standish, a 6-2 forward from Ellensburg High School in Ellensburg, Wash., and 6-2 center Shannon Reader from Lake Oswego High School in Lake Oswego, Ore.; both of which signed with Gonzaga in November.

“I could not be more thrilled with how our recruiting shaped up this season,” explained Graves. “We filled some our weaknesses, and added the size that we so desperately needed. The skill level of our incoming players is as good as we’ve ever recruited and I love that each one is long and has the ability to score. This will be an exciting class for our fans to appreciate and love because they’ll each bring with them a passion to play. But most importantly to me, they each will add to perhaps our biggest strength, team chemistry. They play hard, they play smart and they each always put the team first. This is truly a great time to be a Zag fan.”

Redmon, a Spokane native who will have to sit out the 2008-09 season due to NCAA transfer rules, was named to the Pacific-10 All-Freshman team this past season at Washington. She was one of only two Huskies to start all 31 games, setting a Washington freshman record for games started. She led the team in points (11.8 ppg), field goals made (149) and field goals attempted (373) and was tied for second on the team in rebounding (4.5 rpg).

Before Washington, Redmon was a four-year letterwinner, a one-year team captain and a teammate of current Bulldog Heather Bowman at Lewis and Clark High School. She was a two-time Street & Smith’s honorable mention All-American and a three-time first team All-Greater Spokane League Selection as a sophomore, junior and senior. Redmon also helped lead the team back-to-back 4A state title as a junior and senior.

“Katelan is a tremendous athlete who has the rare ability to be a difference maker at both ends of the court,” stated Graves. “She can obviously score and score in different ways, but I feel she has the ability to be a tremendous defender, as well, especially with her length and athleticism. I love that she is versatile—I can see her playing any one of three or four positions at any time which should make her a match-up headache for anyone.

“Katelan is a young woman with great character, and she plays with such energy and passion. She is certainly used to playing at a high level, having proved herself against great competition, both in high school as a two-time state champion and also in college. I feel very strongly that Katelan is going to be an outstanding Zag.”

Bowen, who is one of the most decorated players from Victoria, Australia, currently plays for Frankston Blues; a member of the Youth League Women’s Division of the Big V League. She is averaging 14.0 points and 11.5 rebounds per game this season with Frankston Blues. Her 11.5 points per game ranks her third in the Big V League.

Bowen also averaged a double-double playing for the Melbourne Roos All-Star High School team in its nine-game American Tour versus different colleges, many of which were NCAA Division I. She scored 13 points and grabbed 10 rebounds against WCC foe the University of San Diego and had a 16 point, 14 rebound performance against Cal Poly. Bowen, a member of the 2008 Victorian U20 State Team, is a finalist for the Emerging Athlete Award.

“Kelly is a player and person that fits our program and university perfectly,” said Graves. “As a player, she is extremely versatile with the ability to play both inside and outside and is extremely strong physically. She is a tireless rebounder who has the ability to shoot the 3-point, create for herself off the dribble and score at the block.

“Like Katelan and the rest of the Zags, she is used to playing against great competition, both NCAA and internationally, so the jump to our level shouldn’t be a problem for her. As a person, she blends in nicely with our current players and coaches. She has an out-going personality who seems to love to play basketball and she displays the leadership qualities it takes to be a successful Zag.”