PDA

View Full Version : Say it aint so, D.A.?

HillBillyZag
05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
per comcast.net sports, KU star Darrell Author's High School grades were alledgedly changed/tampered with. If the charges are proven, reparcussions could be major.

ZagNative
05-16-2008, 11:48 AM
ESPN story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3399372).

I'm waiting for the facts to become known before impugning the kid.

HillBillyZag
05-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Merely posted the info. Last time time I looked ALLEDGEDLY was not an accusatory word.

ZagNative
05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm troubled whenever inflammatory stories are posted, especially about a kid, without links where the reader can decide for him or herself how much credence to give to the story. We're already too inclined to believe whatever we read on the internet and spread it like wildfire, without contributing further to the problem by failing to at least provide the source information.

75Zag
05-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Allegedly is a great word. You can use it offensively to screw over someone's life ("Mr. X allegedly did A, B, C, D and E (with farm animals)" or you can use it "defensively" by repeating unsubstantiated rumors and then adding the word "allegedly" to the end of your report in order to try and save yourself from being sued for defamation. Either way you are not doing the subject any favors.

By the way, I hear that the Editor of the Spokesman Review allegedly ........

HillBillyZag
05-17-2008, 12:03 AM
I for one, am tired of walking on eggs around this board every time I post. My opinion is just that, no more, no less. I have no pre-judged bias, hidden agenda, or any other personal windmill to tilt with. I am only another Gonzaga U. fan with time on his/her hands to play around on the PC. IMHO we seem to have picked up a more controversial tone in our discussions of late, and I don't like myself when I lose my temper over statements made in a forum that one is supposed to enjoy. I modified this post because my original contained just such a knee-jerk response on my part. At this stage of my life, nearing the big 70 and dealing with my own mortality,Salvation, and and the lousy bull-pen work of my beloved Tribe my plate is full without additional hassle. Love all of ya!!

MedZag
05-17-2008, 12:11 AM
I for one, am tired of walking on eggs around this board every time I post. My opinion is just that, no more, no less. but now and then I forget that to some, the majority have no rights and that the Courts can overrule the Constitution and legislate from the bench without precedent on any issue in vogue with the flavor of the day special interest group.

I don't think anyone is criticizing you personally. I would hope not, since if its big enough for ESPN to latch onto its moved into the realm of national news and is well beyond message board fodder. I think people are more commenting on the general climate of sports news these days, where claims that may or may not be grounded in true evidence can be blown to the proportion where they ARE simply accepted as fact.

MedZag
05-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Associate athletic director Jim Marchiony noted Friday that the NCAA's Eligibility Center cleared Arthur's transcript from Dallas South Oak Cliff High prior to him enrolling at KU in 2006.

"I can't see this affecting Kansas or Darrell Arthur," Marchiony said. "The school sent his transcript to the clearinghouse, and they approved it."

Citing an interview with Arthur's former math teacher, Winford Ashmore, WFAA reported that two math grades were changed on Arthur's transcript. One of the grade changes was made almost two years after Arthur took the class.

"This is ridiculous," an angry Mays said by phone Friday. "Darrell's grades were always good. There were two grades that were posted incorrectly. A change-of-grade form was filled out and the correct grade was posted. The teacher made the grade change.

"We're disappointed this false information has been released."

http://www.kansas.com/249/story/406931.html