PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Inc mentions lots of Zag recruits

theothegreat21
05-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Scouts Inc put out a huge write up on the Cactus Classic, and I figured I would put up all the blurbs mentioning Zag recruits.

Joe Burton (6-7, 250)
Junior, Hemet, Calif./ West Valley
Burton wasn't the most promising post prospect at this loaded event, but he was highly effective in many facets of the game. He utilizes his huge frame very well to ward off taller events, has soft hands and is deceptively quick. His passing ability and overall feel for the game were in full force throughout the tournament as well. In order for him to reach his potential, he needs to lose more weight to gain more bounce. This was evident in the championship game when the taller and more athletic post players of Houston Hoops caused him to struggle scoring in the paint area.

Tyler Honeycutt (6-7, 170)
Junior, Symar, Calif.
Honeycutt is one of the fastest rising prospects in the country. He has always intrigued me since his sophomore season due to his lanky frame and developing perimeter skill set. However, the intrigue has now become a reality -- he'll end up at the high-major level. His frame is a tad troublesome because of narrow shoulders, but his skills are outstanding, especially his uncanny passing ability. In this event he exhibited an improved jump shot, including a couple of step-back 3s that were quite impressive.

He may not have a whole lot of bounce, but 6-8 junior Chris Cunningham (Diamond Bar, Calif./Diamond Ranch) utilized his footwork and fundamentals to score over players much more athletic.

One of the top up-and-coming point guard prospects in the West is 6-2 junior Xavier Thames (Sacramento, Calif./Pleasant Grove).

Anthony Marshall, a 6-2 junior out of Las Vegas/Mojave, continued to demonstrate why he is one of the best all-around players in the West. His jump shot needs work, but his handle and feel for the game are excellent, not to mention his defensive prowess.

Josh Smith, a 6-9 sophomore out of Kent, Wash./ Kentwood, needs to shed some weight, but he has great feet, soft hands and a pretty solid skill set for a high-major 5-man.

Is there a better freshman in the West than 6-3 Anthony Wroten (Seattle/Garfield)? His jump shot needs more arc, but his perimeter handle, savvy, and quickness are high-level.

75Zag
05-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Curious as to the use of the term "Zag Recruit". Not trying to be negative or whatever. Are these players that somebody has decided are likely to come to GU? Are they players that Coach Few and Staff can only dream about, or have these players actually told somebody they are seriously interested in GU?

My question is not limited to this post. I have seen lots of other references lately to "GU recruits". Just wondering whether the term has some specific meaning in the NCAA rules or otherwise, or just refers to those players that we all "pray" might select GU.

theothegreat21
05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Curious as to the use of the term "Zag Recruit". Not trying to be negative or whatever. Are these players that somebody has decided are likely to come to GU? Are they players that Coach Few and Staff can only dream about, or have these players actually told somebody they are seriously interested in GU?

My question is not limited to this post. I have seen lots of other references lately to "GU recruits". Just wondering whether the term has some specific meaning in the NCAA rules or otherwise, or just refers to those players that we all "pray" might select GU.

Its typically players who have expressed interest in GU, or who the staff has expressed interest in.