• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

The Thursday-Saturday format to return?

"It was initiated by ESPN, not the coaches, but it looks like we [the WCC] may go back to Thursday/Saturday - looks good but not set in stone."

If this does indeed come to fruition, I have only one thing to say about it:

YeeeeeHaawwww!!!
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Nevtelen
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I actually kind of liked Mondays (I realize I'm in the minority), but as long as the games are still televised, it's all good.

Comment

• mtzaga
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

7 MST would be an ideal time for tip-off. 8 MST at the latest.

Comment

• gobroncsgozags
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Nevtelen View Post
        I actually kind of liked Mondays (I realize I'm in the minority), but as long as the games are still televised, it's all good.
        I didn't mind mondays, but it sure made the rest of the week seem really long waiting for the next game.

When I was working on my Masters at GU, I had a job on campus. I didn't work or have classes on Fridays. When I got home from class on Thursday afternoon, knowing the game was on that night and that I had nothing to do the next day... that was the best feeling in the world.

That's it, I am skipping work tomorrow and watching a taped GU game tonight.

Comment

• StocktonIsMyHero
          Banned
          • Mar 2008

Thu-Sat again would be nice!

Bob, you got a link for that quote? Would love to see the whole article.

Comment

• Goshzagit
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Nevtelen View Post
            I did't mind the 11pm Monday night games either, it was the Tuesday mornings at work I couldn't take anymore.

As a former Kennel Club member and GU Alum, the level of crowd enthusiasm, student attendance, and even sobriety for the Thurs/Sat games are much different compared to the Sat/Mon games. For example, students would have the option to schedule their Friday classes accordingly, which was not an option under the Sat/Mon format. Kennel Club members used to schedule the majority of their classes on Tues/Thurs, Mon/Weds, and even Weds nights to accommodate the Thurs night games.

I assure you the proposed Thurs/Sat format would be a benefit for students, our team, the TV audience, and everyone in attendance.

P.S.--> My sobriety comment is not condoning nor promoting drinking before games. That said, if you are a former and/or current Kennel Club member and accustomed to the Thurs/Sat games, you'll know what I'm referring to. Enough said.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Question

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
              "It was initiated by ESPN, not the coaches, but it looks like we [the WCC] may go back to Thursday/Saturday - looks good but not set in stone."

If this does indeed come to fruition, I have only one thing to say about it:

YeeeeeHaawwww!!!
              Could we also go to a Thursday time slot around 7 pm rather than 5 pm (too early) or 9 pm?

Just askin......

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

The problem with going Thursday-Saturday is that it's the same format that the Pac 10 uses, which will make TV more complicated. I doubt the ESPN channels will take every single Thursday night Gonzaga game. This means that FSN-NW has to try to squeeze in the Zags with funky start times in order to avoid conflicts with the Pac 10.

I know the staff and players will welcome this change. The Monday night games are really difficult from an academics perspective. There is nothing worse than arriving at 4am after a late Monday night game and being forced to wake up at 6:30am to take a math test at 8am. Thursday-Friday will still force the kids to miss some class time, but the whole thing is just much easier to handle with this format.

Comment

• BobZag
                  Dark Lord of the Zag
                  • Jan 2007

It was an email I received from the GU AD.

Thurs/Sat isn't a 100% done deal, much less tipoff times, 229.
                  The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

Working...
                  X