PDA

View Full Version : 09 Recruiting Breakdown

theothegreat21
05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
We just put up a 2009 recruiting breakdown on the Kennel Report. Check out the in-depth breakdowns of each player that appears to be a main target for the class of 09

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/

Final4Zag
05-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Excellent!!!

Makes it alot easier to keep track of all these guys.

Thanks

NEZAGFAN
05-14-2008, 07:57 PM
An interesting but not 100% confirmed bit came up in the recruitment of Marshall, I was informed that his cousin or uncle not sure which it was is Demarlo Slocum who is an assistant coach at Colorado State. I was unable to find any info on the net to back my statement but I believe there is a good chance considering he also coached the Las Vegas Prospects AAU team for 5 years which is the team Marshall currently plays for. Hopefully this doesn't sway Marshall to CSU but if it does this may be a deciding factor.

theothegreat21
05-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Although Marshall could have a very strong affinity for his coach, I would really hope that he would take up many of the better basketball opportunities that are being offered to him by some elite academic and athletic schools

zagzilla
05-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Struck me how Aprop, Hill and Marshall who are at the top of this list were mentioned as questionable outside shooters. This is a big part of our game and we need gunners. This has been an area where we have been slipping for a few years and one of the things that made our best teams so dangerous.

I don't put a huge amount of stock in these scouting reports since they are often recycled 3rd hand reports that are months old. You never really know what you have until they show up.

I'm sure Few and the rest of the staff are all over this

Texas_ZagFan
05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Any chance of getting the opinion of the Gonzaga coaches on the 2009 prospects ? I realize they probably wouldn't go on the record at this point, but there must be a list of who they would like to see commit. Obviously, there are way more athletes being recruited than there are open scholarships, so do the first three to verbally commit (between now and November) get the scholarship, or the first three to sign a LOI. The way I understand the NCAA rules is that when a kid gives a verbal commitment, the school is obligated to hold open a scholarship for that kid until signing day, but the kid can change his mind and sign a LOI with any school.

It's a gamble both ways. A gamble for the kid that the coaching staff that is recruiting him and who made him the offer stays put and doesn't leave for another job opportunity. A gamble for the kid that the coaching staff means what it says to him when they are recruiting him and make the offer. A gamble for the school that the kid they offered honors his verbal commitment. A gamble for the school that the kid makes the grades to remain eligible.

In today's world of instant opinions and instant feedback, a kid can go from being touted as a favorite and a must have by the fans to being just an after thought or a nobody after viewing the results of an AAU summer tournament.

If that's how fast the opinions of the Gonzaga coaching staff changes, then who really knows what 2009 prospects will sign a LOI ? But I don't really think the coaching staff, who's job it is to evaluate and to know which players best fit the team, are as wishy washy and as quick to judgement in their opinions.

Remember, these are High School kids. They aren't as polished right now as they will be by the time they become a Zag player. But they do have access to message boards like these and I'm sure that it can be hard to read a Zag fan saying some of the things that are posted on this board. Heck, I'm sure some of the current Zag players don't like reading some of the stuff posted here. I'm sure you've heard this before but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

theothegreat21
05-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Any chance of getting the opinion of the Gonzaga coaches on the 2009 prospects ? I realize they probably wouldn't go on the record at this point, but there must be a list of who they would like to see commit. Obviously, there are way more athletes being recruited than there are open scholarships, so do the first three to verbally commit (between now and November) get the scholarship, or the first three to sign a LOI. The way I understand the NCAA rules is that when a kid gives a verbal commitment, the school is obligated to hold open a scholarship for that kid until signing day, but the kid can change his mind and sign a LOI with any school.

It's a gamble both ways. A gamble for the kid that the coaching staff that is recruiting him and who made him the offer stays put and doesn't leave for another job opportunity. A gamble for the kid that the coaching staff means what it says to him when they are recruiting him and make the offer. A gamble for the school that the kid they offered honors his verbal commitment. A gamble for the school that the kid makes the grades to remain eligible.

In today's world of instant opinions and instant feedback, a kid can go from being touted as a favorite and a must have by the fans to being just an after thought or a nobody after viewing the results of an AAU summer tournament.

If that's how fast the opinions of the Gonzaga coaching staff changes, then who really knows what 2009 prospects will sign a LOI ? But I don't really think the coaching staff, who's job it is to evaluate and to know which players best fit the team, are as wishy washy and as quick to judgement in their opinions.

Remember, these are High School kids. They aren't as polished right now as they will be by the time they become a Zag player. But they do have access to message boards like these and I'm sure that it can be hard to read a Zag fan saying some of the things that are posted on this board. Heck, I'm sure some of the current Zag players don't like reading some of the stuff posted here. I'm sure you've heard this before but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

I think that you may be underestimating many of the people on this board. A good percentage of the people who post and contribute dont base their opinions on one tournament or one story they read, but instead after following many of these recruits for a long period of time. Thanks to people like BobZag and Zagnative, we know about many of these recruits very early in their high school careers and we follow them for a long time. Obviously we dont get to follow as in depth or as intimately as the coaches, but I think many of us form very educated opinions.

Secondly, I have a real issue with people saying that some of the Zag players and/or recruits may be upset with what we write. Most of the posting on this board is very accurate and informed. If their is a thread or post that critiques one of these people, then it is probably saying something they have already heard or may feel about their own performance. Lastly, I think the athletes here that are going to a great academic university, and are on full scholarship, and get to travel around the country, wont be overly offended when someone hear mentions their struggles on the court