PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Honeycutt - May 12 Greg Hicks Scout Post

ZagNative
05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Subscription Scout Story (http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700225311,00.html):

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/54/549433.jpg

Three schools he's high on at the moment: Arizona, Washington, and Gonzaga.

He says he's supposed to go to camps at UCLA, USC, and Kansas State.

Factors he'll consider in choosing a school:

Just how the team is, the campus, the coaches, how the players are and how much Im going to play, said Honeycutt. I dont really care about location.

Wants to wait and see who is looking at him after the summer.

Favorite school growing up: UCLA.

3.1 GPA.

Reborn
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Judging by looks alone, he would fit in with the current Zags. He looks more like Sacre to me the Daye. but i'd like to see all three of them on the floor together. I really I'm believing that Austin stays for three years. I think he may. Now that would be nice.

I really doubt that we'll get Smith in 201-. It's just wishful thinking.

theothegreat21
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Great find Zagnative. That is great news, as Honeycutt is really emerging as one of the top talents for the class of 09. I really like our chances against UW and Arizona, and he has to love the playing time that freshman have been getting here. Put together him and Anthony Marshall, to go along with a Big man and Arop and you have a top 15 class for GU

ZagNative
05-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Here's another little tidbit from the La Times Varsity Insider Bog tonight (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2008/05/boys-basketba-4.html):
Boys' basketball: Sylmar's Honeycutt becomes hot prospect

Three weeks ago, 6-foot-8 junior forward Tyler Honeycutt of Sylmar had no scholarship offers. Now he has schools clamoring to sign him, with Arizona, Arizona State, California, Washington, USC, San Diego, San Diego State and Gonzaga in hot pursuit.

"Nothing has changed," Sylmar Coach Bort Escoto said. "People just don't do their job."

Escoto said Honeycutt always had good potential, but when he started playing for the Pump 'N Run travel team last month, college recruiters took notice.OUch, Coach! Hope Gonzaga was among the few doing their job and was in there recruiting before the kid caught fire with his AAU team in the public eye.

spudzag
05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Judging by looks alone, he would fit in with the current Zags. He looks more like Sacre to me the Daye. but i'd like to see all three of them on the floor together. I really I'm believing that Austin stays for three years. I think he may. Now that would be nice.

I really doubt that we'll get Smith in 201-. It's just wishful thinking.

The little we have heard of Honeycutt's play is positive. Touch recruiting competition, we'll see. I like the different skills Joe Burton would bring. Richardo Ratcliffe is a possibility, but not much of a student. I'd focus on Joe Burton, make him feels special and close the deal by August.

BobZag
05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
The little we have heard of Honeycutt's play is positive. Touch recruiting competition, we'll see. I like the different skills Joe Burton would bring. Richardo Ratcliffe is a possibility, but not much of a student. I'd focus on Joe Burton, make him feels special and close the deal by August.

Ditto. Get Honeycutt and Burton, then worry about a guard. Burton is a banger with bulk and Honeycutt is another Daye. Perfect for 2009.

ZagNative
05-13-2008, 08:37 AM
In another Scout subscription story, on BRO (http://ucla.scout.com/a.z?s=12&p=2&c=753967), Hicks included a blurb that Honeycutt might have been the best West Coast shooter at the Cactus Classic, on fire beyond the stripe, but says that he's not just a shooter but a player with an all-round game.

zag67
05-13-2008, 10:40 AM
BZ is correct. Our first needs are a banger and a wing. The guard position has many options for at least two or three years. With the loss of Theo and then Osweiller, we have lost our safety blanket at the big position and depending on what Austin decides next year, we may be a little short there.

ZagNative
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
New Rivals story about Tyler (subscription) (http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=807394) on ASUDevils.com.

The story says that few '09 west coast recruits have improved their stock this spring more than Tyler Honeycutt. Tyler said it all happened in the span of about two weeks, because of his play with his AAU team.

The article says he's intriguing because of his length and skill set, that he can handle the ball well and shoot consistently to beyond the three-point line, and he's willing to mix it up inside, despite his slight narrow-shouldered frame, and blocked several shots during the Cactus Classic.

He agrees with the author that everybody's comparing him to Gonzaga star Austin Daye, though he says he thinks he shoots a little bit better than Austin but Austin is a little longer.

Says he'd probably rather play in the Pac-10, but he'd go anywhere.

Not altogether encouraging to me as far as the Zags' chances are concerned. Hope the coaching staff is dancing fast as they can if they want this guy.

P.S. He also says he's grown about 3" every summer since 8th grade. (He's 6'7 right now.)

BobZag
05-13-2008, 02:12 PM
New Rivals story about Tyler (subscription) (http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=807394) on ASUDevils.com.

The story says that few '09 west coast recruits have improved their stock this spring more than Tyler Honeycutt. Tyler said it all happened in the span of about two weeks, because of his play with his AAU team.

The article says he's intriguing because of his length and skill set, that he can handle the ball well and shoot consistently to beyond the three-point line, and he's willing to mix it up inside, despite his slight narrow-shouldered frame, and blocked several shots during the Cactus Classic.

He agrees with the author that everybody's comparing him to Gonzaga star Austin Daye, though he says he thinks he shoots a little bit better than Austin but Austin is a little longer.

Says he'd probably rather play in the Pac-10, but he'd go anywhere.

Not altogether encouraging to me as far as the Zags' chances are concerned. Hope the coaching staff is dancing fast as they can if they want this guy.

P.S. He also says he's grown about 3" every summer since 8th grade. (He's 6'7 right now.)

Remember, it was an ASU (Pac-10) interview. Kids by and large try to say what the interviewer would like to hear. That's why neutral guys get more objective statements and are more accurate. :)

I'm expecting to see a Joe Burton interview soon.

spudzag
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm actually pretty comfortable with his list. Not every kid will go to UCLA, I doubt they will offer. I would hope he would think twice about going to 'Zona with the turmoil there. We can compete well against K State Washington (for non-Seattle kids) and USC.

4EVERaZAG
05-13-2008, 03:35 PM

Hard to imagine that he is an even better shooter than Austin. Austin's freshmen stats were pretty amazing shooting 48% from the floor, 41% behind the arc and 88% from the free throw line. I guess he will soon have the chance to prove himself in a couple years.

VinnyZag
05-13-2008, 06:07 PM
OUch, Coach! Hope Gonzaga was among the few doing their job and was in there recruiting before the kid caught fire with his AAU team in the public eye.

Sounds like whomever is covering Cali recruiting on the coaching staff is doing a pretty good job ... Daye, Honeycutt, some of the others BZ has mentioned. That bodes well for GU.

ZagNative
05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
More about Tyler from another Greg Hicks story today (subscription, of course), this one a wrap up about the Cactus Classic (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/754555.html):

Tyler Honeycutt, 6-7 JR SF Sylmar (Calif.) High. Honeycutt is just a baby and you can tell hes nowhere close to done physically. Hes very slender and it will be awhile before he fills out. However, hes extremely skilled and he possesses a very good feel for the game. He shot the ball extremely well in Tucson and he shoots it as well as any forward in the west. While hes slender, Honeycutt isnt soft. He was mixing it up inside for a Pump N Run team that was missing its usual post presence in Reeves Nelson. Honeycutt also has a chance to be a very good defender. Hes already got great timing as a shot-blocker. Yes, hes skinny, but so were Tayshaun Prince and Reggie Miller. Honeycutt has a chance to be among the elite players in the west for 2009.Skinny guys, unite and give a big hurrah to Tayshaun Prince and Reggie Miller! Skinny kid makes good ... sometimes!

BobZag
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Did anyone see that long, skinny guy from Detroit block that dunk attempt last night vs Orlando? I think our long, skinny guy can do that this year.