PDA

View Full Version : Worst Uniforms In The History Of The World

gonzagulous
03-06-2007, 05:29 PM
"March 5, 2007—Looks like those baggy shorts so popular among college hoops teams may finally be on their way out. Taking their place? Really, really baggy shorts. Starting tomorrow night, four top schools—Arizona, Florida, Ohio State, and Syracuse—will don Nike's System of Dress, a radical new look that brings Raf Simons–style proportion-play to the hard court. Complementing the aforementioned shorts are formfitting jerseys ten inches smaller in the torso, resulting in a second-skin look that's more Bode Miller than Ben Wallace. Players will also be able to customize their uniforms by adding options like padded shorts (to protect against the errant knee or elbow) and Dwyane Wade–style leg wraps."

http://men.style.com/news/style/030507

Is this for real? Good lord, those are the most awful uniforms I have ever seen. Well, other than Oregon football. And the Wizards.

Rubbadub
03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Not quite the worst...

http://www.clubdevo.com/mp/images/discog/fashions/domes.jpg

Bulldog
03-06-2007, 05:34 PM
They look like skirts and dresses. The cheerleaders were just starting to look hot again and now this.

EL MUSTACIO
03-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I'd wear 'em

McZag
03-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Do those uni's give you a first round bye? Why else would you wear 'em?

JLGutrocks
03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Picture bryant in that uni. He'd have to wear a manziere so as to leave something to the imagination. :lmao:

EL MUSTACIO
03-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Cause they give u LeBorn like... no Pargo like leaping ability.... duh

vparcher
03-06-2007, 06:04 PM
What's wrong with todays youth? Gotta look good first!

EL MUSTACIO
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM
KOBE??? O ya, but he looks bad in every uni. 8, 24, well thats it, but he looks bad in them nonetheless

brasszag
03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I actually kind of like the tops - but the shorts are way, way, way, way to baggy.

That ain't safe.

FuManShoes
03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
the NCAA would actually allow this tomfoolery (and that Oregon wouldn't be a part of it). But apparently this is actually happening ....

http://www.mlive.com/sportsflash/college/index.ssf?/base/sports-22/1173236048227750.xml&storylist=micollegebb

Nike unveils fitted uniforms for elite basketball schools
3/6/2007, 9:44 p.m. ET
By SARAH SKIDMORE
The Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Players from four elite basketball universities will be hitting the court this week with distinctly different Nike uniforms that showcase player's upper bodies but show a little less leg.

Nike unveiled the new line of basketball uniforms Tuesday. They are being introduced for the University of Florida, Ohio State University, University of Arizona and Syracuse University. The shoe and apparel giant plans to start introducing personalized uniforms to all its NCAA-Nike partner schools beginning next fall.

The new look is decidedly different. The jerseys are tighter and the shorts are longer and baggier. And players have an option of "personalizing" their look with aerodynamic underlayer tops and leggings.

Nike says the look creates a "dramatic new silhouette" and responds to player requests.

"Our guys are really excited and fired up to wear them," said Richard Paige, a spokesman for the University of Arizona team. "Nike really went above and beyond, as least as it relates to our guys, to make sure their input was taken very seriously."

The form-fitting jerseys and the baggier shorts are made of a lightweight breathable material, Nike said. Beneath the shorts and jerseys, players will have of a choice of wearing long, short-sleeve or sleeveless Nike compression tops and padded compression shorts and leggings. The sleek shape of the underlayer resembles the design of Nike's competitor Under Armour.

Nike said players had told the company they were looking for ways to personalize their look, which some college players already do with tops under their jerseys.

Nike says the padded compression shorts provide support for hamstrings, hips and calves. It is the first time the company has provided a padded base layer for basketball.

The company's last major overhaul for basketball uniforms came in the 1990s for the University of Michigan. A group of freshman players there known as the "Fab Five" headed to the NCAA Tournament final with baggy shorts, black shoes and short socks — an unusual look at the time that was quickly adopted.

The new tailored look will be debuted this week by Arizona, Ohio State and Syracuse at their respective conference tournaments. The University of Florida wore theirs, minus the underlayers which weren't ready yet, at a Feb. 27 game against Tennessee.

All four powerhouse basketball programs get a nod to their past in the design.

Names of players who went on to the Hall of Fame are on the uniforms. Some lettering and insignia are throwbacks to earlier days.

The uniform for Syracuse University, for example, has large color blocking on the shorts, reminiscent of the 1970s Syracuse Orangemen. The shirt has a "BSB" insignia over the heart, borrowed from the first Syracuse basketball logo created for the team in 1900.

Other details include an alligator scale pattern worked into the University of Florida uniforms and a LeBron James insignia on Ohio State's. James has said he would have attended Ohio State if he hadn't gone directly to the pros.

The company did not disclose the cost or value of the launch. Consumer versions of the new line will be available for fans to purchase.

TheBeast
03-06-2007, 07:44 PM
I seriously thought this was going to be about GU's own red uni's... I was even more unpleasantly surprised...

wazmix
03-06-2007, 11:04 PM
The look is radical, but could become the norm. I do have a few thoughts, though.

1) Long sleeves?? Isn't that somewhat restrictive?? I'd think the first time a shooter goes 1-12 in a game, they're going to question the tightness of these tops.
What happens to all the SWEAT??

2) Is the conference tourney they best time to test these uniforms? What if some players don't like them??

3) Will playing defense feel like you're defending one of MC Hammer's backup dancers?? A lot of playing defense is being able to see your man........and these shorts might just seem like a bunch of material flying around.

4) I don't want to see some players or fans in anything so tight !!!!!!!

Ziggy
03-07-2007, 12:06 AM
What a joke! For starters, the extra cloth over the tops of the thighs and
knees would form a friction resistence akin to wind resistence or running up
hill; the result is equal to lifting additional weight. You don't see runners wearing shorts like this. But it would be a great way to obscure the dribble from your opponent. Also "personalizing" seems more like accessorizing. Manu
Ginobli would laugh to think of wearing gaucho pants on the court. The uni's are already too baggy and grabable. A stupid concession to fashion by Nike.
Didn't I read somewhere that Lute had early onset dementia ? No but......

Rubbadub
03-07-2007, 01:24 AM
It would be hilarious to see John Bryant and the other big on Santa Clara wearing that jersey. With Samhan it wouldn't be funny, it would just be gross.

soonerterp
03-07-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm not pro on them from an aesthetic viewpoint.

But at least short shorts aren't coming back. God I don't want to be seeing ANYBODY (let alone Omar Samhan or John Bryant) in nutters.

brasszag
03-07-2007, 06:04 AM
The look is radical, but could become the norm. I do have a few thoughts, though.

1) Long sleeves?? Isn't that somewhat restrictive?? I'd think the first time a shooter goes 1-12 in a game, they're going to question the tightness of these tops.
What happens to all the SWEAT??

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here.

The UofO football players love the Nike stuff - for real. This is a logical step with the new fabrics to keep players right at the correct temp, and keep sweat away - these unis are not cheap. I'd estimate they cost 3-4 times what current ones do at least. It's not like these are made of wool, cotton, or polyester.

Honestly I see the tops as a great step forward (for the sculpted guys at least visually) and the covert jersey-grabbing's going to go more by the wayside. Also check out how many NBA players wear an arm sleeve if they have minor injuries.

hondo
03-07-2007, 06:44 AM
They look like something my grandmother may have worn when she wanted to be cool and have shorts on but didn't want to show her legs.

BruddahZagJPoe
03-07-2007, 07:00 AM
:D

Man they used to tease us Hawaiian's for wearing those three quarter pants. :mad: My son still does, despite wearing baggy shorts that are the same leangth.

I guess its all about perception, because when the girls wore them, they were fashionable as clam diggers.

What can we say, lifes a beach:D

Go Zags.

tobizag
03-07-2007, 07:26 AM
The article posted by FuManShoes says that Florida wore the jerseys at their game against Tennessee. I looked up pics from the game and it doesn't appear that they were wearing anything other than their usual attire. Did they just try them on?

These things are nasty by the way, just nasty.

jaszag
03-07-2007, 07:42 AM
I'll be blunt. I think they SUCK. So what's with the "functionality" of the tops and nothing but "hip hop fashion" for the bottoms? I can stomach the functional nature of the tops and padded shorts, but, my goodness, why the gauchos?

Argentum
03-07-2007, 08:34 AM
I'd take the skin-tight long sleeve look over sweaty tattoos any day. I'm not sure I like the tight top ultra baggy bottom combination though.

gamagin
03-07-2007, 08:43 AM
this new look is probably worth billion$ to the clothing industry.

bad news: It renders all those hundreds of thousands of hip kids and their $1,000 outfits (including shoes, which evolve alot faster) suddenly UN hip. This means drug sales, shootings and robberies will skyrocket during the fashion switch.

good news: there will be more uniforms available at Value Village for poor people, inmates, lower level gang bangers and the masses. Also, the average fan, (never a slave to fashion) will suddenly realize HE/SHE can get a ZAGS outfit in the basement at Nordsrom's for under $100.

win-win

zag69
03-07-2007, 09:08 AM
To me the bottom of these outfits look like the dresses female athletes used to have to wear to preserve modesty. And what is the point of aerodynamic tops when the loose skirts are ballooning out in the wind of a fast break?

I'm no fashion maven, heaven knows, but I think it is a stupid style.

gamagin
03-07-2007, 09:12 AM
see pgh 2 in my post above yours. good news !

zag69
03-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Uhm, thanks, but do you really think I'd wear a Jazz outfit?

LongIslandZagFan
03-07-2007, 09:25 AM
They are not wearing those unis.

Maybe the shorts, but not the tops... not by a longshot.

gamagin
03-07-2007, 09:25 AM
point taken. Now check the 2nd pgh again.

ZagNut08
03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
I like the look of the shorts, but not to play basketball in. If am just wearing some around its good, but not to play in. I have played in some like that before and its too baggy. Tougher to dribble in imo.

The tops could be ok, never worn underarmor or anything like that, but some swear by it.

alaskazagnut
03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
This look is about money, chicks and self promotion. Why else would these guys want to wear things that EA sports street ball video games have been showing for years now. Why would guys like DRav or Will Foster want to wear stuff like this. Only your "perfectly" proportioned physique would look good in this.

The average man cannot wear this type of clothing without looking foolish.

If the NCAA lets teams wear whatever Nike says is fasionable, then the NCAA is far worse off then I thought. The NBA has a dress code. I think the NCAA needs one now.

How is this fasion statement surfacing in the college ranks!! Why did Nike not push this on the NBA first!

Its like advertising cigarettes and booze to our kids. It is sickening. Nike knows that these ego maniac, self centered, give me the money hoopsters will want to show off .

thickman1
03-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Syracuse is up next on ESPN - maybe they'll be wearing the uni's.

brasszag
03-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Wow - I'm amazed at the vitriol.

The shorts appear to be pure fashion (and anti-functional), but the tops look to be purely functional as athletic-wear.

Aesthetic concerns aside - if the tops are more comfortable to wear for the athletes, what's the problem?

Also, Nike stands to lose a LOT of money in licensed sales if they go to this style... while I (myself) might consider getting a current-style top, but I've thickened up enough that one of these gut-huggers would force some serious gym time before I'd wear it in public.

UberZagFan
03-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Other details include an alligator scale pattern worked into the University of Florida uniforms and a LeBron James insignia on Ohio State's. James has said he would have attended Ohio State if he hadn't gone directly to the pros.

That is pretty sad that a program like OSU has to stoop to celebrating "former players" who never even attended the university but just thought about it. It's worse than when I hear that Bing is GU's greatest alum (like was stated on the broadcast the other night). At least Bing attended some classes at GU.

"The Ohio State University -- Where Lebron Would Have Attended!"

alaskazagnut
03-07-2007, 10:57 AM
What place does fashion marketing have in education and collegiate amateur athletics. Why is Nike rolling this out to kids in college uniforms and the University's names when it belongs in the NBA or streetball leagues. Push the trendy products on the pros, let them decide. To target "me first" programs and kids makes me sick.

I could be wrong though. But I doubt it.

Why didn't they try the new "smooth perfect" ball experiment in the NCAA. They let the pros be guinea pigs. Let the pros wear this gear first, don't push it on image centered kids who get this attitude from millionaire selfish pro athletes anyway.

brasszag
03-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I think the "new ball" fiasco proved you can't test on the people looking at this as their jobs without it risking looking clueless.

Why not try it out on the kids - see if there's any feedback from the people who use the uni's but don't have multi-million contracts riding on their comfort levels.

Nike has very much partnered with the UofO players for their new football gear, so what's to say they shouldn't try the same for Basketball.

All I'm getting here is "it's nontraditional therefore it's bad" and that it's "all about fashion therefore it's bad"

What do the players who have actually worn these uni's say about their comfort levels when playing, I wonder? That's the ONLY thing that matters.

(Well, the LeBron thing is kinda stupid I'll admit)

LongIslandZagFan
03-07-2007, 12:39 PM
All I'm getting here is "it's nontraditional therefore it's bad" and that it's "all about fashion therefore it's bad"

What do the players who have actually worn these uni's say about their comfort levels when playing, I wonder? That's the ONLY thing that matters.

(Well, the LeBron thing is kinda stupid I'll admit)

Don't forget that most of us just plain find them ugly as sin.

AuntieZag
03-07-2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/southafrica_swim040815.jpg

before long, this will be the "next best thing". it's like a second skin. add pads for boo-boo protection. you can keep the sleeves if you'd like.

Crusader Rick
03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I think I just got sick to my stomach. :D

tobizag
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Are these supposed to be the new things? Syracuse was supposed to wear them today, but these don't look nearly as bad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

Here they look a little worse:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/03/06/bc.bkc.nikeuniforms.ap/index.html

Zaggy
03-07-2007, 02:57 PM

This is on the front of the NYTimes website and I'm pretty sure they are wearing the new uniform.

FuManShoes
03-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I caught some footage of the 'Cuse game today. Fortunately, the jerseys aren't as tight as the display model, and no player appeared to be wearing the long sleeve form-fitting undershirt. Also, the shorts didn't look all that more baggy than what most guys already wear (anyone seen Brockman's skirt?). This appears to be more hype than anything an dthe photos being peddled by the PR form don't reflect what the teams actually are wearing - yet.

jonesed
03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I think they should bring back BKs if they're gonna resurrect Hammer TiMe.

ZagSlug
03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
http://www.thepelhams.org/zagpics/baggy.jpg

jonesed
03-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Is transvestitism included in the Down Low lifestyle? Cuz those are some elegant-ass sun dresses.

brasszag
03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
All I'm saying is that baggy is out with athletes in general.

Loose Fit: Golf, Baseball, Bowling

Tight Fit: Track and Field, Swimming, Triathletes, Football (wherever there aren't pads) Hockey (new unis), Skiiing, Cycling...

Seriously, if next year's team wore these (with the current visual style) I'd have no issues.

I guess I'm the crazy one here - though if they make a set of those shorts for Will Foster they could double as emergency sails for the QEII.

TuckC
03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I wonder what Gonzaga's will look like or get one. I am pleased, the only one I didn't really like was Syracuse's. Orange needs to stay Orange.

lothar98zag
03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
All I'm saying is that baggy is out with athletes in general.
And those skirt-shorts are tight how?