PDA

View Full Version : Oops! Ronny Ejected for Flagrant Foul!

ZagNative
05-11-2008, 12:08 PM
v. Jazz, right now...

KSTATEZAG
05-11-2008, 12:29 PM
It was BS. The intent ceertainly didn't appear malicious.
Yes...hard foul.
Hardly a Flagrant 2.

ZagNative
05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2008-05-11-2813975290_x.htm) already has a blurb up about it:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Lakers forward Ronny Turiaf was ejected early in the second quarter of Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinals against the Jazz on Sunday for a flagrant foul.

Turiaf knocked Utah's Ronnie Price hard to the floor as Price drove for a layup, leaving the Jazz guard with a bloody gash over his right eye.

Turiaf came down hard with his left arm and Price went straight down and banged his head on the court. Price leaped straight up as his teammates swarmed the officials and pushed for the flagrant call. Utah coach Jerry Sloan also came off the bench immediately after the play.

The officials conferred and kicked out Turiaf, who got a lecture from Lakers coach Phil Jackson on his way to the locker room.I have no doubt that Ronny would feel terrible if someone were to suffer a serious injury because of some action he took.

RenoZag
05-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Does the flagrant foul mean he has to sit out the next game also ?

ZagNative
05-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Jason Kidd didn't get a suspension for that flagrant-2 he put on Nannero Pargo.

RenoZag
05-11-2008, 02:12 PM
NBA Foul Rules (http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_12.html?nav=ArticleList)

EXCEPTION: Rule 12A--Section V--l(5)
l. A player, coach or trainer must be ejected for:
(1) A punching foul
(2) A fighting foul
(3) An elbow foul which makes contact above shoulder level

Section VII--Fines
a. Recipients of technical fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct will be assessed a $500 fine for the first offense, and an additional $500 for the second offense in any one given game, for a minimum total of $1,000. If a player is ejected on (1) the first technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, (2) a punching foul, (3) a fighting foul, (4) an elbow foul, or (5) a flagrant foul, he shall be fined a minimum of $1,000.
b. Whether or not said player(s) is ejected, a fine not exceeding $35,000 and/or suspension may be imposed upon such player(s) by the Commissioner at his sole discretion.

Hopefully he won't have to sit out the next go round

ToreroStudent
05-11-2008, 02:45 PM
It didn't look like the bad of a foul, but the gash on Price's right eye was pretty bad. An ejection, with that type of result, was probably necessary even though I don't think he meant to hurt the guy.

pdine
05-11-2008, 02:53 PM
No way should it have gotten him kicked him out. Ridiculous.

I figured his high-quality character image would have earned him the benefit of the doubt on that play, but then came the blood from the jizz player to make the refs decision easier.

dim4sum
05-11-2008, 03:13 PM
He's been fouling alot lately and seriously cutting into his potential playing time. Don't get it. Pendo must be his personal trainer.

ZagNut08
05-11-2008, 04:17 PM
What do you expect when you go up for a high flying move to the basket...it was a play for the ball...he got mostly arm. Definitely wasn't malicious by any means. Flagrant 1 at worst.

MDABE80
05-11-2008, 04:32 PM
It was crap. Price left the ground on a drive and Ronny just happened to be in the way. Not deliberate...they just ogt tangled up. Ronny didn't do anything wrong.just standing there mostly. Nothing like when Janero Pargo got creamed deliberately. Not even close. Ronny and the Lakers were just playing on the wrong court today. Hope they get it together and win # 5.

MedZag
05-11-2008, 06:35 PM
No way should it have gotten him kicked him out. Ridiculous.

I figured his high-quality character image would have earned him the benefit of the doubt on that play, but then came the blood from the jizz player to make the refs decision easier.

The blurb about it on ESPN has over 300 comments and at least 290 of them agree he didn't deserve the flagrant 2. Some debate whether it was a flagrant 1 or not but everyone agrees it was not malicious. So there is definitely good will for Ronny, but not in the right places.

"In no way shape or form was I trying to hurt anybody," Turiaf said. "I was going for a blocked shot and unfortunately, Ronnie Price is a point guard and I am a big guy."

ZagNative
05-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Update in the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep12-2008may12,0,7347081.story?track=rss):
"I want to apologize to my teammates for the result of my foul," Turiaf said. "I was going for a blocked shot and, unfortunately, Ronnie Price is a guard and I am a big guy, and our bodies collided and he fell to the floor. It is very unfortunate the way everybody reacted to it because it was questioning my character."

Turiaf had an important person in his corner, Lakers Coach Phil Jackson, who said the ejection was "absolutely not" the right call.

"I thought the kid [Price] was out of control when he went in, and Ronny did go up to block the shot, but I thought he entirely played the ball," he said. "I haven't seen a call like that. I was very surprised that he was put out of the ball game."

Jackson said there should not be a suspension for Turiaf, who averaged four points, 1.3 rebounds and 14 minutes in the first three games of the series.

Price said he and Turiaf were friends and indicated there was no malice, saying, "Things happen."

And, of course, this thread needs a pic,

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080512/capt.c9fba8814b38421b94bc010fc946d4b8.lakers_jazz_ basketball_utsal505.jpg
"Utah Jazz guard Ronnie Price, left, is fouled by Los Angeles Lakers
forward Ronny Turiaf (21) during the second quarter of Game 4
of the NBA basketball Western Conference semifinal series Sunday,
May 11, 2008, in Salt Lake City. Turiaf was ejected for the flagrant foul.

gamagin
05-12-2008, 08:16 AM
and he said, besides the above, that he told Ronny it was a bad call before Ronny walked off to the locker room.

I think the good news is it was a bad call and that most of the league knows what a good hard foul is compared to a malicious one.

So do the players. and this just didn't fit the punishment.

and any little guy who charges the net against any big, in any game, at any level, knows it is not going to be allowed. It's a territorial thing. always has been. always will be.

Asotin
05-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Wasn't the foul after the whistle? I am all for hard fouls and setting a tone but you can't do that after the whistle. If you let guys do stuff like that after play has been blown dead, you are going to end up with a lot of injuries and brawls.

ZagNut08
05-12-2008, 02:19 PM
The follow through, maybe. You can't stop some motions once you start. Its not like price stopped flying towards the basket after the whistle was blown. Definitely not a malicious foul

Asotin
05-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I didn't say it was malicious, I said they had to call it. As a ref you have to call any hard foul, especially after the whistle, or you will lose all control. And the rules are clear on what the call has to be for a hard foul after the whistle, so I don't see what the outrage is. The refs did as they are supposed to, nothing more, nothing less.

ZagNative
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
NBA says no suspension, per the Deseret News (http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700225311,00.html).
"No further action ... Stands as called," an NBA spokesman told the Deseret News via e-mail Monday night.

Price, clobbered by Turiaf on a drive to the basket in Sunday's second quarter, needed four stitches to close a cut over his right eye that was sustained after he hit his head on the floor.

The Utah Valley State product returned to finish the game.

Jazz owner Larry H. Miller called (during a Sunday appearance on KSL-TV) for a suspension after watching a replay of the foul, but Price said after Sunday's game that he did not think one was warranted.