PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Big Men

SLOZag
05-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Forgive this post if the topic is covered elsewhere, but I'm curious about our approach to coaching big men (4s and 5s).

1. Is one of our coaches specifically assigned that task? Who is it? Does that individual have other responsibilities as significant as that assignment? What are they?
2. What is the consensus of the board members who have observed our coaching of "big men" -- regarding approach, technique, etc.? Is it significantly different at other schools at our level? (I know we've produced several talented bigs, but how much of that was due to our coaching?)
2. Is it necessary for a "big men" coach to be physically able to personally demonstrate to a player what is expected of him under the boards?
3. Is there some rule (other than economic prudence) that would prevent Coach Few from bringing on board another assistant coach if he thought it would be helpful to the team's development to do so?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

former1dog
05-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Bill Grier used to be the big man coach. Pretty short guy with a pretty good track record of coaching and developing successful big guys.

Giacolletti (sp?) I believe is our current big man coach.

ZagNative
05-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Others with more intimate knowledge of Gonzaga's program may have better information on this, but I remember a story within the last year that said that Grier wasn't specifically the big man guy, that that was kind of an offhand remark someone made one time that kind of stuck, and that coaches didn't have specific assignments. FWIW ...

BobZag
05-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Grier and Rice switched a few years ago. Rice has coached the Bigs and now Giacoletti does.

roxdoc
05-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Lots of good questions SLOZag. Hopefully we will get a few more answers from those closer to the program.

Along the same lines, I have heard over the years mention of the Pete Newell "Big Man Camp". Is this something for HS players only or do college bigs ever attend?

BobZag
05-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Richard Fox attended Newell's camp.

Sean Mallon actually attended Rick Majerus' Big Man camp.

There are coaches for specific positions. There is a limit for the number of coaches a program can have on the court coaching. Four, I believe. It is not unlimited.

MickMick
05-09-2008, 04:11 PM
JP Batista was polished upon arrival. Whoever coached him up prior to his arrival at Gonzaga did a great job. The Zag coaching staff, of course, added even more polish after JP's arrival.