PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga mentioned

SageOfZagville
05-09-2008, 12:00 PM
From an article about Pitt's Jamie Dixon.

"Pitt is fifth in winning percentage (189-51, .788) the past seven seasons, stting behind Memphis, Kansas, Duke and Gonzaga."

Good article by the way. Perhaps we see part of the reason why Mark Few stays at Gonzaga.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3387734

finechina2003
05-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Great find Sage! It sounds like Jamie Dixon and Mark Few are cut from the same cloth. His mindset echoes what we see with Few and Gonzaga.

cjm720
05-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Nice article, thanks!

Katz is a stud.

SageOfZagville
05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Nothing like Loyalty, and maybe some big Rainbow Trout in the stream, to keep Coach Few in Spokane.

After the loss to Davidson, folks on this board were pretty hard on Coach Few. I didn't post at the time, but would like to say a "Few" words at this time.

We are mighty lucky to have Coach Few. It is not often that a man of his integrity and core values comes along. His devotion to family and staff tell a lot about who he is and what he feels is important in life. It's not all about the size of the paycheck. It's what makes you happy and how you are thought about by your friends. I hope he stays for as long as he wants and would hope that posters on this board would remember what he has meant to Gonzaga Basketball before they write their knee-jerk reactions after a loss.

The Sage.

dpouley
05-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Katz is a stud.

How so?

gamagin
05-09-2008, 12:54 PM
It also points up that it takes an administrative team, not just a basketball team, to keep successful programs advancing together.

There's nothing automatic about it. It is hard work, very difficult to achieve and maybe even more difficult, to maintain.

Yet, that is what Few has done for GU.

There will be a ripple at the top at GU soon enough when Spitzer leaves. His successor, whoever it is, will be a critical cog in encouraging and supporting the basketball program as Spitzer has.

It would be hard to imagine the new president would tinker with this kind of success, but there is no question whoever he is (assuming he's a jesuit), the program, like everything else, will be subject to review through a fresh, different, set of eyes.

GoZags
05-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I was sitting with members of the Zag coaching staff in Tulsa (the night before our game down there). It was a fun evening of banter, etc. Leon had just gotten back from seeing a recruit -- some foreign big kid named J.P. Bartiste (or something like that).

While talking about who was who in college hoops, I made a crack about Pitt's OOC schedule -- that it was really kind of a joke.

It was then I learned that cracks about Pitt were off limits. Jamie is close to the GU staff -- and even in a social situation the guys were quick to defend Jamie Dixon.

I think Andy Katz did a great job writing about what makes Jamie's situation (and Fewie's for that matter) very special.

Birddog
05-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I was sitting with members of the Zag coaching staff in Tulsa (the night before our game down there).

Is there no limit on your "hobnobbing"?

GoZags
05-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Is there no limit on your "hobnobbing"?

They didn't have a chance.

You remember the Saturday Night Live sketch "The thing that wouldn't leave"?

Even worse, the next day I spent a little time with some Ornithologist Canine from Oklahoma.

Birddog
05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Even worse, the next day I spent a little time with some Ornithologist Canine from Oklahoma.
That only happens once in a Full Moon.

http://bestoftulsa.com/bars&clubs/full_moon.shtml

CDC84
05-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't think people realize how hard Dixon has to work to get players at Pitt. For a city as large as Pittsburgh, it's amazing how little prep basketball talent emerges from it. And this has been going on for years and years. Blair is a rare exception of a big time local talent. Dixon usually has to rely on a lot of New York and New Jersey kids that were passed up by UConn, Syracuse and others....really good players, but not the Burger Boy types. I've always had respect for him as a coach...both when he was an assistant under Howland, and now as the head honcho.