PDA

View Full Version : Santangelo does Bloomsday in 00:57:33

Zag 77
05-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Still in pretty darned good shape for 7.46 mile run.

ZagManFan
05-07-2008, 08:11 AM
I doubt I could make it under an hour riding a bike. Kudos to Matt.

former1dog
05-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Matt is/was a phenomenal athlete. Strong, durable, quick, agile and had some serious hopps.

Running Bloomsday in slower than 7 minutes per mile pace, though, is not especially notable for a man in his late 20's or early 30's who has just recently been a professional athlete. That pace is slower than training(easy) pace for most competitive distance runners.

In fact, several members of the Gonzaga XC and Track teams have run Bloomsday in less than 40 minutes.

Just sayin'

Ziggy
05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Matt is/was a phenomenal athlete. Strong, durable, quick, agile and had some serious hopps.

Running Bloomsday in slower than 7 minutes per mile pace, though, is not especially notable for a man in his late 20's or early 30's who has just recently been a professional athlete. That pace is slower than training(easy) pace for most competitive distance runners.

In fact, several members of the Gonzaga XC and Track teams have run Bloomsday in less than 40 minutes.

Just sayin'

f1d, it's simple: All runners are athletes
Not all athletes are runners.

former1dog
05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
f1d, it's simple: All runners are athletes
Not all athletes are runners.

Agreed. Just thought I'd lend a little perspective.

MDABE80
05-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah but he ran it carrying his 2 year old;)

former1dog
05-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Yeah but he ran it carrying his 2 year old;)

And stopped for a beer and a brat at mile 4... :D

gamagin
05-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Stockton ran Bloomsday several times. Maybe he still does.

He posted great times. He was in the top 25 overall one year, if memory serves. Right up there with & among the elite, invited runners.

It was brought up at a post-race org, meeting I attended.

former1dog
05-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Stockton ran Bloomsday several times. Maybe he still does.

He posted great times. He was in the top 25 overall one year, if memory serves. Right up there with & among the elite, invited runners.

It was brought up at a post-race org, meeting I attended.

I've been following Bloomsday results for years, John Stockton has never, ever been in the Top 25 overall. He might have sniffed the Top 25 for his age group.

Top 25 Results for each year of the race can be found here:

http://www.bloomsdayrun.org/RaceResults.htm

originalcalzag
05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
I have also heard Stockton had some big time results and he did with his basketball shoes.

Cal

Angelo Roncalli
05-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Stockton's best time was 46:03.

Nothing to sneeze at--the kind of time you'd expect from a high school cross-country runner, but not elite by any means.

Mike Brady holds (held?) the record for the best time by a local Spokane runner, 36:29...that's 9:30 better than Stocks.

originalcalzag
05-07-2008, 10:06 AM
You got me on that one Angelo. Stock did well, but you kicked my butt with your data. Good for you.

kp

gamagin
05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
you got a link to that time for JS ? thanks.

Fwiw, I was on the original 4-man board of directors along with Don Kardong, Jim lynch and Dick Maginot. I ran the first 25 and then stopped participating with my 25 year memorial shirt being my last.

Maybe some of you remember the Bloomsday Programs that went out with the race numbers & packets for the first ten years or so. I created the idea (talked Larry shook into doing it for a couple of years), then took it back & produced & owned it for about a decade.

Fwiw, many, many runners on the first "fun run" wore tennis shoes. I wore my Chuck Taylor autographed Converse high tops. to me, and a few others, the waffle soled Nike's were a fad that would soon pass. Should have bought stock, instead of criticizing the design & the idea.

Unsure about Stock's shoe preference at first, or if he even ran the first one. I think, however, somewhere in the first ten, he finished way up there in the overall.

But, as has been suggested, maybe it was just high up in the local class.

I do remember we were surprised at his time, so maybe that will have to suffice, unless Angelo found the full list. I'm not sure the list goes back to the beginning.

We had to beg the newspaper to list all the finishers in the paper and it seems to me it took until about the second or third year to get them to do it.

Angelo Roncalli
05-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Stock's best race, that I know of, was in 1984 when he was a senior (he was busy in the NBA playoffs most the next 20 years). He finished 374th overall. His story is in the official first 10 year summary of Bloomsday. Fitz used to have the basketball team run a 10 miler every year before the season started. I ran with them twice in the early '80's--Stockton was clearly the best of the MBB players, but in no way was he an elite runner. Rob Greer, who attended GU law school and practices in Spokane, ran 36:42, which I would venture is the best finish ever by a Zag (former1 will confirm that 36.42 is a great time). Here is the Lilac Bloomsday Assn's 1984 race summary with mention of Stockton and Mike Brady (I trained with Mike a little in 1984 when I was preparing for the NYC marathon--he was an excellent distance runner):

Bloomsday #8—May 6, 1984

The Bloomsday entry fee is raised to $6.00, and 33,312 people sign up, including many who decide to “Register by Computer” at Medical Service Corporation. The largest group is age 23-29, and the second largest is 1-12. 90-year-old Emmett Jones enters the run for the 3rd consecutive year. A commemorative medallion is offered for sale. For the first time, vendor participation at the Convention Center is advertised as a Trade Show. The course is officially certified at the 12-kilometer distance. A third starting area on Sprague Avenue is added, and a computer seeds the field into six groups based on ability. Bloomies wake up to 1-2 inches of new snow on race morning, and while streets are clear by 9:00 a.m., the temperature stays just above freezing for most of the race. Ibrahim Hussein sets a new course record of 34:33, and Regina Joyce is women’s champion. Jim Martinson and Sharon Hedrick capture their wheelchair divisions, and Cheney wheeler Jerry Martin is presented with a new racing chair for being the first local wheelchair finisher. Mike Brady runs 36:29 to record the fastest Bloomsday time ever recorded by a local runner, and a Gonzaga point guard named John Stockton runs 46:03 for 374th place.

This site lists links to click to find all of the top 25 open winners:

http://www.bloomsdayrun.org/RaceResults.htm

former1dog
05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
(former1 will confirm that 36.42 is a great time).

Yep, that is smokin' fast! The bike rider from earlier in the thread would have some trouble keeping up with that time. ;)

I did some running with Brady, Stan Holman and of course Don Kardong (well after his glory years, of course) back during my time at GU.

gamagin
05-07-2008, 03:16 PM
it was either '78 or '79, I was a jr or sr in hi skul (GPrep) and i finished in 45:56, which would be the second or third year of the race.

The distance was different (longer, I think) than the standardized 12k of today, there was a shotgun start. but there's no question this was not an elite time, fwiw.

23dpg
05-07-2008, 03:26 PM
I ran in the first Bloomsday. I was in jr. high at the time and did it to keep my sister company. One of 1700 or so as I remember.

ZagManFan
05-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Yep, that is smokin' fast! The bike rider from earlier in the thread would have some trouble keeping up with that time. ;)

I did some running with Brady, Stan Holman and of course Don Kardong (well after his glory years, of course) back during my time at GU.

Yea, I would have to get a little 2 cycle engine to make it in that time...:lmao:

AllezZags
05-07-2008, 04:09 PM
F1Dog may have had an elite seeding in either '90 or '91 and been one of those under 40 minutes......he was one fast hombre.

jake
05-07-2008, 04:34 PM
36:29 is moving. I don't know of any other GU affiliated person that has come close to touching that. Not sure what the next fastest time is, but the fastest after that that I'm aware of is 38:49 by Dan Ourada in 1996.

Akzag
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
One other obvious note from my personal experiences ... unless you are at the front of pack, with x thousand people running, it often takes a few miles before the herd thins and one can hit their stride.

The 7:46 minute pace should be taken with a grain of salt and not a true indicator of how fast Matt could run a mile on a track ... let alone how long it would take him to run an unobstructed 12k.

Nice job, Matt.

zagco
05-07-2008, 08:22 PM
What's the fastest time ever run at Bloomsday?

RenoZag
05-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I finished Bloomsday in May 1979 ( and no, I didn't start in May 1978 ). . .don't recall the time but was ecstatic anyway. All the running around I did for ROTC had me in pretty fair shape then. I vaguely recall a long hill that was a real SOB to get up.

gamagin
05-07-2008, 08:40 PM
set this past Sunday (5/4/08) by Kenyan Micah Kogo, 21.

finechina2003
05-08-2008, 06:42 AM
33:51 is the new record

So what does that mean? Over approximately 7.5 miles, including several hills and one very challenging Doomsday hill, he AVERAGED a 4:32 mile. Can you say "League of his own"?

mendiant
05-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Any other Zags with times noted?

I did look for one "Ernest Hemmingway" but found none ;)

love,
mendiant

zagzilla
05-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I ran 9 of the first 10 Bloomsdays and for the first 3 years or so it was an 8 mile race. I still have a blue ribbon they gave all finishers in those days that referred to the 8 mi distance. They shortened it around 1980.

I was a freshman in 1984 and remember waking up to that snow (and a wicked hangover) and nearly skipping it. But my roommate and I had a bet so we went anyway and ran about 52 minutes including a stop to blow chunks on the side of doomsday hill.

I think I'd puke today if I tried to run it in 52 minutes even without the hangover :)

EngineerZag
05-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Holy smokes, that Kenyan ran an average of 13.2 miles per hour!