PDA

View Full Version : "Kong!"

BobZag
05-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Gracias to BroncoZag for the assist. It is all true, except the Visa issue isn't 100% a done thing yet, but it will be in due time.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=103&mid=113960913&sid=910&tid=113960913&style=1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After spending one-year at a British Columbia University due to student visa issues, Bol Kong's dream to play in the US college system has finally materialized. He recently verballed to Gonzaga University.

Until recently, Kong was a High-Major player with NBA potential stuck North of the border. Originally from Sudan, he is a 6'7" wing/forward with a very fluid, and uberly-skilled game. He posseses a 7'1" wingspan, and good ballhandling and shooting ability.

In three exhibition games against D-1 comp he averaged 21ppg, including a 33-point effort in a win against eventual NCAA participant, Boise State.

The location and name-worthiness of the Zags was too much for the versatile African to pass up.

One of his greatest assets is his advanced mid-range shot arsenal and pretty pull-up jumper. Kong is more of a finnesse palyer, but can play the 1-4. His offensive shot reportoire is full of baseline floaters, free-throw line pull-up's, 3-pt'ers and turnaround jumpers. At times he tends to fade too much on his shot, but his height of release and lift on his jumper is solid. He can create his shot using shot-fakes or jab steps. In addition, he is an above average vertical athlete and has soft hands to boot. Although he is not a spectacular athlete, Kong, knows how to create with his advanced skills. He has shown adequacy at running the point and can play the position on both ends. His court vision is very good and he can make 3/4-court assists in transition, find cutters in the half-court, drive-and-kick and make the instinctive pass within the flow of the offense. Defensively, he has a tendency to lose his man in transition, but his length and size for position lend him to a good defensive upside. The mid and long-range levels are his best scoring hot spots, but with added weight to his wirey frame, finishing at the rim should improve for him. His handles are more than adequate and he uses crossovers and hesitation moves combined with his long strides to create separation. He can score with his back-to-the-basket, and knows how to use his long body to his advantage. His BB IQ is impressive and he has a great passion for the game.

Kong will have to sit out next year per NCAA eligibilty rules, but you better believe this kid will be making some noise in Spokane in 2009-10.

BroncoZAG615
05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Per Rival recruiting boards (subscription)...
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=103&tid=113960913&mid=113960913&sid=910&style=2

Kong has recently verballed to Gonzaga University, but this source claims that he will have to sit out this coming year due to NCAA eligibility issues (go figure) and will be ready to go in 2009-2010. The source seems valid and I have double checked it.

Bummer about having to sit out, but this kid will be a star...

gamagin
05-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Great news ! Thanks

SteelCityZag
And ours too, so it seems. Now about that visa???

He doesn't really have to sit out a year, does he?

ZagNative
I thought Douglas College was a JUCO, the reason he chose it, and that he would be eligible to play this fall.

theothegreat21
05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I thought Douglas College was a JUCO, the reason he chose it, and that he would be eligible to play this fall.

I agree....I remember reading that in an article that he chose to go there strictly so that if he ended up being able to transfer into the country he would not be forced to sit out a year

LAZAGFAN11
05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Will he have only two years to play then? 09-10 and 10-11?

SWZag
05-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Awesome news!!

And yes, Douglas is a JC. About Douglas College (http://www.douglas.bc.ca/about.html)

spudzag
05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
:000tens: nice to have this deal consumated.

sonuvazag
05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
He should have three years eligible, regardless.

hockeyzag
05-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Yaaaahoooooooo!!!!

ZagNative
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I was just trying to read the NCAA transfer rules, which, of course, being contained in an NCAA publication (pdf file), are tough going for me. The rule may be that he would have needed to graduate from the two-year institution in order to be able to transfer without penalty.

Also, it appears that a transfer from a two-year school in another country is treated the same as a transfer from a four-year school.

If you find something more helpful in the NCAA transfer rules (pdf file) (http://www.ncaa.org/library/general/transfer_guide/2007-08/2007-08_transfer_guide.pdf), chip in.

Rubbadub
05-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Awesome!

GoZags
05-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Awesome news!!

And yes, Douglas is a JC. About Douglas College (http://www.douglas.bc.ca/about.html)

Somehow the link to Douglas College missed the fact that in February 1976 the Bulldogs of Gonzaga University did battle with the Royals on the ice at the "Molson's Invitational College Hockey Tournament" hosted by Caribou College (Kamloops, B.C.).

The Royals defeated the Zags 6-3 -- a score much closer than the 75 - 19 shots on goal differential.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/member.php?u=45

HRZag
05-06-2008, 12:00 PM
So, GoZags, even in the early days, our Zags were known for their defense?

But the beer was good afterwards, wasn't it, eh?

BobZag
05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Somehow the link to Douglas College missed the fact that in February 1976 the Bulldogs of Gonzaga University did battle with the Royals on the ice at the "Molson's Invitational College Hockey Tournament" hosted by Caribou College (Kamloops, B.C.).

The Royals defeated the Zags 6-3 -- a score much closer than the 75 - 19 shots on goal differential.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/member.php?u=45

I blame the goalie. ;)

HRZag
05-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I blame the goalie. ;)

Bing, bing, bing!

Nevtelen
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Fantastic! I hope those visa issues get worked out sooner rather than later - visa issues make me nervous because I've seen a lot of them. Still, I'm pumped that Kong is on the way! Perfect timing for him to be eligible in 09, too - just when we'll need a wing of about his description to step in and kick butt. Especially one that's already had a year of practicing with the team/coaches.

MDABE80
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
"WRATH OF KONG!!!!" Go big fella! Visit the WRATH!!....Gosh this is such good news! Wish he could come onboard this upcoming year. a good 2 or 3.

This 'll make the whole team better. Think about the kids in practice. Best news in quite a while. Theo Theo! Come back! ONIONS!!........"strong, stern, or fierce anger" < Face the WRATH!!! lol.....this is wild!.......fun too! Abe;)

BBskorer
05-06-2008, 12:42 PM
WELCOME, BOL!!!

ZagNative
05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I wonder if there is any option for the Zags to petition the NCAA for a hardship exception, in view of his visa problems. I'd imagine not, but it would be interesting to know what the hardship rules would require. Oh, oh.... I feel a painful excursion to an NCAA pdf filecoming on ...

ZagNative
05-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I just looked at that link, and it's just a post on a message board, not what you'd call definitive. I'll rely on BZ's word, but that source alone would seem iffy at best.

Am I missing solmething?

pbriz
05-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow great news. If he can turn into a Kyle Weaver type player on the defensive end, guarding multiple positions I think we will really benefit. He really looks polished too. A great get if this is true.

hls97
05-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen... I give you... KONG! THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD!

To quote the great Carl Denham:

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1150248/article_images/jackblackascarldenham.jpg

Zagpower
05-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Bummer about having to sit out, but this kid will be a star...

Look at the bright side, this will give Ehlo a year to practice the name. It's still a good bet he'll refer to our newest Zag as Kold Bong at some point during a game.

NewbyZag
05-06-2008, 02:16 PM
In light of our most recent signee, Bol Kong, i think that the new entrance song for the zags should fittingly be "King Kong" by Jibbs. Perfect! Our problems are all solved!

duper
05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
As mentioned above this is great news! As mentioned in previous posts I have seen this kid play 2 yrs ago and he will be a solid contributer. It will be to his and our advantage if he has to sit a year. We will need him more the following yr and I think he will need a yr to adjust to a higher level of play. Solid player but not the answer. I want low post scorer.

zagzilla
05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Glad to see this guy is finally a Zag. Seems like we 've been chatting about him since before Sacre signed. Hope he can contribute although I'm not going to fall into the hype trap that Ira! generated last year.

Guys like JP Batista who go from Juco to immediate impact come along very rarely.

When we need a big, strong athletic kid in the middle I will get really fired up!

OZZag
05-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Awesome news, Kong already knows Rob which probably made the choice even easier. The thing I like most about Bol is that he is very team oriented, doing whatever is asked of him to help the team out.

2010 starting lineup

Meech/Gibbs
Gray
Kong
Daye
Sacre

That would be a very impressive lineup, quick, deadly and long

Go ZAgs (also known as B.C.'s favourite D1 team)

zag67
05-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I am not sure we will see Austin in 2010, But hopefully in 2009.

If you look at 2009:
Bouldin/Meech/Gibbs/Gray at the guards
Kong
Poling
Sacre

And hopefully Austin, but even if he decides to go NBA, that is a good start for a team. Add 1 more wing, a power forward and a center and we would be good to go. I would think that if we do not find a solid PF or center that can contribute quickly, they probably would be looking at JUCO for help in the transition.

2011Zag
05-06-2008, 07:08 PM
I talked to Rob the other day and he said BK is the real deal. I'm glad the mystery is finally over, its kept me on the computer instead of studying for finals. Can anyone give us a definitive answer on whether he will be able to play next year or have to sit out pending him getting his visa?

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-06-2008, 07:25 PM
This should help us all forget about losing Brock.

Welcome, Bol!! Can't wait to see you in K2!!

azzagfan
05-06-2008, 07:25 PM
"WRATH OF KONG!!!!" Go big fella! Visit the WRATH!!....Gosh this is such good news! Wish he could come onboard this upcoming year. a good 2 or 3.

This 'll make the whole team better. Think about the kids in practice. Best news in quite a while. Theo Theo! Come back! ONIONS!!........"strong, stern, or fierce anger" < Face the WRATH!!! lol.....this is wild!.......fun too! Abe;)

MDABE, I'm glad to see you've come on board. After all, you were the one who once posted:
"If his heart is set on Zagland, he'll get his visa and walk on."

gueastcoast
05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
How about when he scores, the announcer could shout, a la a score in futbol:

"BOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!"

OZZag
05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I talked to Rob the other day and he said BK is the real deal. I'm glad the mystery is finally over, its kept me on the computer instead of studying for finals. Can anyone give us a definitive answer on whether he will be able to play next year or have to sit out pending him getting his visa?

I remember reading somewhere that he is now trying to obtain Canadian Citizenship, that would make it much easier to get the paperwork.

Spokanicoug
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I can see the headlines now:

Heytvelt smokes Bol in intersquad scrimmage.

deathchina
05-07-2008, 04:41 AM
"Heytvelt smokes Bol in intersquad scrimmage."

haha

kitzbuel
05-07-2008, 05:32 AM
...uberly-skilled game...

I did not know Uber had a skilled game! Go figure.

kitzbuel
05-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Says Jamie Oei, a former pro coach in Sweden who now coaches Kong at Douglas: "Is Bol the best player in the country? I think he might be. I have worked out pro players overseas and Bol does things that those guys have no chance to do."

That skill set includes a ridiculously smooth three-point shot, a dribble-drive game so polished that few with his length ever master, and a turnaround fadeaway jumper that clearly infringes on the trademarks of both Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. And his defence? Everyone says it's better than his offence.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/features/campus_corner/story.html?id=9d3d1942-0240-4d42-9d3e-12c16e7cfa83&k=44706

CarolinaZagFan
05-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Wow this is great news...I can't wait to see him in action.

guniverse
05-07-2008, 10:43 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3V9kNFN2bOA&feature=related

JAGzag
05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
I can see the headlines now:

Heytvelt smokes Bol in intersquad scrimmage.

Hey! Wait, that was pretty funny ... :D

zaguarxj
11-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Meech and Kong!!!

dnj116
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
So if I got this right, he's gonna be in Spokane for next semester, which would be the time that he'd be sitting out. But you said he had to sit out a year, so does he start playing next fall 09, or spring 10?

Regardless....HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSS SSSS YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

KitsapZag
11-14-2008, 05:23 PM
BK will be our brand of burger-boy.

I'm Lovin it!

zag67
11-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I agree Zaguarxij. But not only think of the passing between Meech and Kong. Then also think of the other passes coming from Matt, Arop, Gibbs and Steven. Not to mention the inside out from Sacre, Poling, Foster, Dower and ?????? That group might not be as polished as this year's team, but they will be a great group to watch grow. And by the end of the year, watch out world, March maddness here we come.

LongIslandZagFan
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Now that BOL can play for Gonazaga, the next step is to get Bol his Canadian citizenship. That way he can play for Canada and help grow basketball in Canada. Anybody heard if he will get his Canadian citizenship next?

Not to be a sour#### here but based on the history of this saga, I won't believe he is going to play a minute for the Zags unless I see him sitting in a classroom and on the bench.

Just sayin'.

Zag365
11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
If the visa gets resolved, and the verbal becomes a written commitment, and Bol doesn't somehow get lured into a pro deal somewhere in the meantime, and, and, and, -- I hope this works out and, if so, I'm glad he doesn't become eligible to play until '09/'10 because we're all having trouble figuring out how there are enough minutes for all the talent on this year's team (let alone having the coaches/players deal with the disruption of trying to figure out the role for a new guy who hasn't even practiced with the team yet).

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy watching the persons on this board who are more interested in speculating on next year's team than following this year's team go into potential frenzy.