PG - Goodson, Texas
PG - Gribbs, Iowa
CG - Bouldin, Colorado
CG - Gray, WASHINGTON
SF - Daye, California
SF - Kong, British Columbia
PF - Poling, Oregon
C - Sacre, British Columbia

A really nice-looking group, but only one Washingtonian. And it's not like the State of Washington has hit a lull in quality high schoolers in the years represented by the above b-ballers.

:]

MickMick
05-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Romar and/or the Pac 10 seems to lock up the Seattle area kids (Gray the exception). The pickings are not consistently great on the East side of the state, but Zags seem to get them when they pop up (Heytvelt, Pendo, Ammo, etc.)

Take a look at the number of North Carolina kids on UNC's roster and ask again.

theothegreat21
05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
...or bad?

Cupboard -- '09-'10
PG - Goodson, Texas
PG - Gribbs, Iowa
CG - Bouldin, Colorado
CG - Gray, WASHINGTON
SF - Daye, California
SF - Kong, British Columbia
PF - Poling, Oregon
C - Sacre, British Columbia

A really nice-looking group, but only one Washingtonian. And it's not like the State of Washington has hit a lull in quality high schoolers in the years represented by the above b-ballers.

:]

I actually find it quite impressive how wide GU's recruiting sphere has become. One of the aspects of a true high level program is a national recruiting scale, and I think GU has that. While there is a lot of talent in Washington, why stay in state if you can get a better player from somewhere else? And the cupboard just keeps getting more and more full each year the way Mark and the staff are recruiting.

sittingon50
05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
1. Santangelo-Portland
2. Frahm-Vancouver
3. Hall-Bahamas
4. Floyd-Harrington
5. Eaton-Tri Cities
6. Dench-Australia
7. Calvary-Tacoma
8. Nilson-West Side
9. Spink-West Side
10. Leisure-West Side

GU's most successful (Tournament) team had 8 of 10 "home grown." My opinion only, but what they lacked in "talent" they more than made up for in "buy in."

BroncoZAG615
05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
If the guys on the west side of the state don't "buy in" enough to come here than there is nothing we can do. We are recruiting at a higher level and competing head on with high-major schools. We could field a team with all Washington players like we used to but we would get trounced.

It's a different time with different methods. We will get our Washington players. It would be nice to get the Gaddys, Bradleys and Sivas of the west side but I still don't mind getting the Meeches, Bouldins, and Gibbs. In-state recruiting in basketball is not as big as it is in football. Basketball is more about program "fitters" and not just the big names and numbers. Few will find players that fit, whether they are from Sudan, Colorado, Brazil, or Washington, we will always find players.

kitzbuel
05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
My problem with this approach is that it ignores that fact that GU is aregional school, not a state school. I think if you compared this mix to the GU student body, it would not be that out of line. I had friends at school from BC, LA, Northern CA, Alaska, MT, Seattle and Colfax. GU's natural territory is much more then Inland Empire than the state of Washington and it has a reputation as the best western Catholic University (not necessarily Pacific Coast). Kids from throughout the Rocky Mountain west do not consider GU a stretch.

Pasquino
05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Well if the San Juan Pig War had a different outcome a good part of British Columbia would have been part of Washington state.

54-40 or fight.

sittingon50
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Those 10 were nothing if not "fitters", & they certainly didn't get trounced by high major & eventual National Champion UConn (nor Stanford & Florida before them).

Not exactly sure how it's a different time.

BroncoZAG615
05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not concerned that we have a more diverse lineup. As long as they fit the role, I don't care where they are from. We have players like Grant and may get players like Marshall Henderson who buy into Gonzaga and love the program. Few is also an excellent Zag who develops players into "buying in". I don't mind so much if they come in like an out-of-stater as long as they leave as a good representative of Gonzaga.

And to this point I think we have done a great job recruiting needs, stars, and "fitters" for our program.

I think it's a different time because there is more exposure with internet sites, the growing sport of AAU basketball. Coaches know more about players from different states and countries and the effects are being shown on our Zags.

It's normal across the board for every school and is only going to get more and more diverse.

GoZags
05-06-2008, 05:37 AM
It's interesting that at present, the other PNW Men's Basketball program has one player from their state.

Portland has one Oregonian on their roster (and of course -- there are some good players in Oregon). http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/mbball/rosters/index.asp

Also -- the '09/'10 list (above) only has 8 guys. Plenty of room (i.e. the 5 additional spots) for Washingtonians.

duper
05-06-2008, 07:53 AM
I have long been an advocate of in state recruiting. I always felt to be successful you needed to get the best players from your own state. I still feel this is important but I agree the recruiting process has changed so much that you need to reach out all over the world. It is great for the Zags that Washington prep ball has improved, because we have got way more than our fair share (Morrison, Josh, Pendo, Gray, Downs, Mallon) of recent note. If you can't find an in state player that fitts what you are looking for you can't settle for second best, those days are over for us.

BobZag
05-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Perhaps a deep (Final Four?) run would cure this but the staff would dearly love to bring in Abdul Gaddy, Payton Siva, Joshua Smith, Tony Wroten Jr., etc., but as hard as Few & Co. try, they can't force a kid to come here if they don't want to come here. I do like Joe Harris from Chelan and if things go well, perhaps he'll be a Zag in some capacity.

A Final Four after a high top-5 ranking sure would help.

fedwayzag
05-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Joe Harris from Chelan. Wow, I think i played against his dad. Man I am getting old.

theothegreat21
05-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I actually saw Joe play this year in Spokane when Chelan was trying to qualify for State. I think he could be an invited walk-on type player ala Jordan Mast. He was by far the best player on the court as a Sophomore, although the competiton was far from first rate

ZagNative
05-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Joe Harris MaxPreps page (http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Player.mxp/AreaID-32cfd20c-0dd8-400a-b86f-8c37b279a869/AthleteID-0e397651-7787-408d-b15a-972c73fe668e/SchoolID-5a6aa5d1-a4f5-492b-9980-00d8d8f60f39/Boys_Varsity_Basketball_Winter_07-08/Washington): 22.3 ppg. Plays for the Chelan Goats in the Caribou Trail League. Wish I'd been able to see him. He plays for the Friends of Hoops AAU, so maybe he'll get more exposure this summer.

In putting him on the second team 1A All-State squad, WashingtonPreps.com (http://washingtonpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=790851) (subscription) said:

Super sophomore Joe Harris had a season to remember. This do everything guard did just that - everything. Harris has superior court vision and a mature understanding of the game. He averaged 22.3 points, 4.5 assist, five rebounds, nearly three steals and more than a block per game. He helped lead Chelan to a share of the Caribou Trail League for the first time in years. Player of the year awards will be in store for Harris if he continues to progress.He's #12 in this photo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2008-02-01JoeHarrisvLakeRoosevelt4-.jpg

His Friends of Hoops team will be playing at a tourney in Portland June 13-15, and again in Las Vegas July 22-26.