PDA

View Full Version : Interest in ANOTHER 2008 Guard?

BroncoZAG615
05-04-2008, 10:32 PM
http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=83008

Ryan Kelley is a 6'3'' 205-pound guard out of Pomona, California for 2008 and has been hearing late interest from Gonzaga, Colorado, Indiana, and Air Force.

He has two and a half weeks left to make his college choice and will be visiting Colorado and coach Jeff Bzdelik on Wednesday. He said that he has been talking to Indiana and Gonzaga about setting up a visit if he does not sign with Colorado on the spot.

Here's a blurb defining his game:
"Ryan has good strength as far as being able to attack the basket," said Diamond Ranch head coach Loren Grover. "He was really good around the rim. He kind of started to learn how to extend himself when he was attacking the rim. At the beginning of the year he was always trying to draw fouls instead of focusing on finishing. I thought he did a much better job of focusing on that by the end of the year. He started to recognize what was a good shot and what wasn't. And just his decision making on the floor, I thought was much improved by the end of the season."

For me, this brings up a very scary reality wondering why are we recuiting guards this late in 2008? We're stacked at the guard spot ASSUMING Jeremy comes back. It would really make little to no sense to show interest in this kid if we totally thought JP was coming back. Now, I believe that he will sign with Colorado on the spot because it is so late in the game.

However, it is still a major cause for thought because we are bound to sign at least one guard for next year in Henderson, Reid, or Anthony Marshall and I would think we could get another guard as well.

This is not good stress during finals, perhaps I'm over thinking it all...:confused:

ZagNative
05-05-2008, 12:22 AM
That seems strange. We've had Chris Cunningham of Diamond Ranch on our prospects list in Scout for a while, so I'd think maybe they noticed him in passing, said, "nice game," and he blew that up into "Gonzaga's interested." The visit thing sounds strange, though.

BobZag
05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Nothing surprises me anymore.

Between Meech, Gray, Bouldin, Gibbs we're just fine at the guard spots. Even Micah can play some 2 guard. Pargo is "supposed" to return.

But nothing surprises me anymore. Nothing.

ZagNative
05-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Is this just a ploy by the coaching staff to shake the recruiting tail we put on them, the equivalent of slamming on the brakes and taking two quick left turns, and flooring it, to leave us in a cloud of dust scratching our heads and asking, "Which way did they go?"

I am officially giving up trying to figure out what the heck they're up to.

P.S. Nice find, BroncoZag615.

BroncoZAG615
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
P.S. Nice find, BroncoZag615.

It was quite the shocker actually. Usually when I am looking at the CU Rivals page I don't see them and Gonzaga going after the same players. I guess Bzdelik is doing some good things.

As for the guards, I agree with you and Bob in that we have no clue what's going on! I guess we will just see and I guess whatever happens from here on out won't shock me. Gonzaga basketball and its recruiting will always be a weird science...It's addicting!

BobZag
05-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Sometimes the staff will employ the strategy of advertising one recruit so they can prompt (scare) a recruit they truly want into committing. It works sometimes. Other times, not so much.

ToreroStudent
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Colorado is in need of players, since there has been a mass exodus of players brought in by the previous coach. My bet is that he'll be a buff, but Indiana could make things interesting.

Indiana is looking at a wopping 8 scholarship players next year. They need as much help as they can possibly get. It wouldn't surprise me if they swipped him from the buffs.

Nevtelen
05-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Colorado is in the exact same position. There's going to be a lot of newcomers for Colorado, and there's a couple open scholarships. Colorado also has a former NBA coach, which always bodes well. The other thing is that Indiana might get sanctions against them, which works against them. Plus I think Colorado offers a more similar culture to California than Indiana.

And you can be fairly sure Colorado won't recruit over you and leave you with 0 PT in the coming years. With Indiana... anyone they sign this late will probably be pretty nervous about exactly that happening.

ToreroStudent
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Colorado is in the exact same position. There's going to be a lot of newcomers for Colorado, and there's a couple open scholarships. Colorado also has a former NBA coach, which always bodes well. The other thing is that Indiana might get sanctions against them, which works against them. Plus I think Colorado offers a more similar culture to California than Indiana.

Never took those things into consideration. Indiana's sanctions will definately deter some recruits who have dreams of NCAA tournnaments and championships. I've also known a ton of kids who've gone from my little city to Colorado. Very well put. Either way, I don't think that the zags will partake much in this recruiting war. It would be very silly of Pargo to leave. This is probably just smoke without a fire.

LAZAGFAN11
05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore.

Between Meech, Gray, Bouldin, Gibbs we're just fine at the guard spots. Even Micah can play some 2 guard. Pargo is "supposed" to return.

But nothing surprises me anymore. Nothing.

This is not good news.

BobZag
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I do expect Pargo to return. Honestly, I'd take the Purdue transfer Scott Martin 100 times over another guard. Like I overheard someone say, "We need more 2008 guards like Custer needed more Indians."

BroncoZAG615
05-15-2008, 07:19 AM
http://colorado.scout.com/2/754757.html

Just a quick update of this thread. Ryan Kelley signed to play for Jeff Bzdelik and the Colorado Buffaloes.

Apparently he did have official visits set up for Gonzaga and Indiana but signed with CU when he visited. I guess we did have some pretty significant interest after all...

spudzag
05-15-2008, 07:35 AM
http://colorado.scout.com/2/754757.html

Just a quick update of this thread. Ryan Kelley signed to play for Jeff Bzdelik and the Colorado Buffaloes.

Apparently he did have official visits set up for Gonzaga and Indiana but signed with CU when he visited. I guess we did have some pretty significant interest after all...

That's a relief. The only guard I'd be interested in for '08 would be about 6-9 225 who plays with his back to the basket. :D