PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Beef?

bigblahla
05-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Lot's of talk about potential recruits but my question is where is the beef?

Josh is in a cast again so who knows how that is going to turn out, hopefully for the best but is it something we can count on?

Robert is still a work in progress and would have to make tremendous progress to be a steady contributor in the middle.

Will may or may not be here but he isn't going to be a factor against top rated D1 competition.

Poling = redshirt.

Is there any big meaty monster to help out in the paint? I'd settle for a good rumor at this point.

Everyone talks about it and it seems we all agree that we need some back to the basket help down low for next season.

Is anyone aware of a player looking to come to GU to fill that need?

Go!! Zags!!!

BobZag
05-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Leaving no stone unturned, trust me. Stay tuned.

roxdoc
05-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Bigblahla - Welcome to the choir!

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Robert is still a work in progress and would have to make tremendous progress to be a steady contributor in the middle.

I don't understand the lack of faith in Robert that seems to pop up every now and then. He's big, athletic, and a hard worker. I think we're going to see great thinks out of him, starting NEXT year.

MDABE80
05-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Well Rob was a freshman this past year. I think that he needs to develop a lot more if he's gonna be what HE promised. Does anyon ethink he had an agressive killer instinct last year? On the other hand, he began lots of games and then sorta fizzled. Does anyone think Few wold have taken him out from all those starting assignments if he'd have done what guys his size do and do well? Given that, do you think the staff trusts him enough to hand over the Center's job to him? I don't. Not yet anyway.

But to the point, I'd rather have another back to the basket big guy to either supercede or back Robert up should he become the bigtime kid we want and hope for. Wouldn't you? What if he does well and turns an ankle? Then what? Lots of factors in the decision to get another big kid in the post.....and nothing against it. I mean just look what's happened to Josh and his ankle.

Rob might grow to an AA but we don't have a sign of it based on last year's performance. No we need support in the post. Hope Rob's the one but he'll need to get 100% better and lose that goofy grin! Develop a nasty scowl and then live that game face. Go Rob!!

BobZag
05-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Vegans.

:D

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I wanted to at least mention Andy Poling's name in this thread. Let's not forget about we he could bring to the table. He's certainly not the "banger" that so many of us have been asking for, but he seems to have some nice skills for a guy his size.

spudzag
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I wanted to at least mention Andy Poling's name in this thread. Let's not forget about we he could bring to the table. He's certainly not the "banger" that so many of us have been asking for, but he seems to have some nice skills for a guy his size.

I think Bigbla made the right call, Poling = redshirt. There have been a few names tossed about in recent threads, but you'r right no one that fits the bill (size & skill).

OZZag
05-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I agree with you CZ, I am tired of all the negativeness toward Rob, he did not completely suck last year, and made a contrubution to the team when he played. Rob will earn his spot and will prove all of the naysayers wrong. You can't teach his size or athleticism, he just needs to have some more coaching and game experience. A year under his belt will do him a lot of good.

cbbfanatic
05-04-2008, 05:19 PM
fwiw, i think a alot of programs are having similar issues with frontcourt size and depth these days. outside of the super-elites, its pretty hard to find solid big guys that stick around. and the guys worth watching have countless teams after them for mere supply and demand reasons.

there are a lot of pretty decent teams out there that run a bunch of undersized athletic 6''8' guys out there and do a kind of rebounding and post defense by committee kind of thing.

to have a young, BIG, athletic kid with a high ceiling like sacre in the program is something many bcs schools would definitely like... but you gotta be patient.

hell, even duke is incredibly weak and thin up front...

BroncoZAG615
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
My only problem with Rob was probably the coaches use of him.

If my memory serves me right, he had a pretty darn good game against UConn and showed flashes early in the year of being a solid contributor. Then he disappeared into....the starting lineup.

3 minutes a game and out for Rob was the trend but I'm sure he will improve. He showed the signs that we needed to see this year that tells me he can be a very good player for Gonzaga. Only the most special 6'10 and above guys make immediate impacts.

zag67
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
First I agree with Oz. If people think of the original plans, then Robert would not have been playing at all. Most big men need a year to develop (both moves and body) to play at that level. When Josh went down, all of a suddent there was a void. The coaches knew he was probably not ready, but he would be gettting experience that would help in the following year. The reason that he was playing the first 3 to 5 minutes in each of the games (after Josh came back) and Josh was not ready. Kuso, did not want to start.

I think that we are all going to see a better player this year. He has had a whole year to practice and play against this level of competion. I therefore hope we see the same freshman to sophmore jump that we saw in players like Matt. If we also get that from Steve, Ira and Austin then we are going to be a terror.

By the way, has anyone heard about PG? Is he planning on being back? Thanks.

MDABE80
05-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Well, to be clear, I don't have any probrlem whatsoever with Rob. Nice kid with upside like crazy. He does need some big man camps and so attentive coaching. He has every potential to be a big time player with GU and beyond. I don't remember ANY big man who did well as a Zag freshman.... just to put it in perspective. Further, I don't remember many on this board have been negative on Rob.

We do need him to excell. We do need more big guys. All I'm thinking is that we IF he had played the role of a Kevin Love , for example, all this would be moot. He didn't an so we chat about him. Nothing bad mind you but not that great either. He's got the talent, now he needs the training and discipline. He has to develop the tools. Those tools just don't spontaneuously happen. To put this in perspective, ask anyone if they think Few blew it by signing Rob. I think Few scored a jewel...just one that needs to be brought along. He'll get there if he want's it bad enough.

Gamagin wrote the very best post last week on this type of desire and discipline to get to the next level of excellence. I don't have it but I wish he'd post it again...maybe even on this thread. To summarise though, blood sweat and tears will be required to make excellence happen for us Zags.

bigblahla
05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
For you nameless cowards that keep neg repping me, up yours!!!

I love Sacre but he has a lot of improving to do just to get up to the speed of D1 ball. Catching the ball below his waist, getting the ball under the basket and not bringing it below his waist or putting it on the floor. He is the future but his future may not be this year maybe it will be but we could use another big this coming season.

Where in my post did I deserve negative rep. While I'm at it the nameless twit who negged me for my post on the Tinsley to Vanderbilt thread it's what I believe it has nothing to do with us so who cares and yes "if ya aint wit us ya agin us." What's wrong with that? If your objection was my comment about poetic justice or a cruel twist of fate. One guy really wanted us and we turned him down, one guy we really wanted and he turned us down and they both ended up at the same school how else would you describe it?

It's getting so you can't post anything on this board anymore without some twit negging you because they think thay can read your mind. Some of you cowards really piss me off.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

OZZag
05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
For the record, I don't even know how to rep, never mind to neg rep!

MDABE80
05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I keep hearing about negative repping but I don't know what it is nor how to give one. SO splain away Lucy or "lucies".

Zagineer
05-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I keep hearing about negative repping but I don't know what it is nor how to give one. SO splain away Lucy or "lucies".

Well, Abe....and OZZag. I'm fairly well a rookie at this, but I think I just gave Abe a positive rep.

If you go to the upper right hand corner of a post, you'll see a justice scale. Click on that and a window will come up to allow you to give positive or negative response to that particular post.

Ohhh Geeeeezzzzz! Did I just open the flood gates??? Oh well. Too bad. It's right there in front of eveyone's eyes.

Birddog
05-05-2008, 05:57 AM
hey blahla, I just gave you some pos and inadvertantly hit the key before I could sign. It happens, funny it happens on the Neg side so much.

ZagsGoZags
05-05-2008, 06:04 AM
thanks zagengineer
I have been wondering about how that worked all year.
Just curious and just asking,
now, how does a person know if they have been negatively rep'd or positively rep'd for a particular post? when bigblahla said he had been anonymously negative rep'd, how did he know?

Birddog
05-05-2008, 06:23 AM
You can check your "rep" by clicking on the User CP area. It's located on the upper left of the banner under GUBoards.

cjm720
05-05-2008, 06:32 AM
For you nameless cowards that keep neg repping me, up yours!!!

I love Sacre but he has a lot of improving to do just to get up to the speed of D1 ball. Catching the ball below his waist, getting the ball under the basket and not bringing it below his waist or putting it on the floor. He is the future but his future may not be this year maybe it will be but we could use another big this coming season.

Where in my post did I deserve negative rep. While I'm at it the nameless twit who negged me for my post on the Tinsley to Vanderbilt thread it's what I believe it has nothing to do with us so who cares and yes "if ya aint wit us ya agin us." What's wrong with that? If your objection was my comment about poetic justice or a cruel twist of fate. One guy really wanted us and we turned him down, one guy we really wanted and he turned us down and they both ended up at the same school how else would you describe it?

It's getting so you can't post anything on this board anymore without some twit negging you because they think thay can read your mind. Some of you cowards really piss me off.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Who cares? Don't post then

MedZag
05-05-2008, 06:33 AM
hey blahla, I just gave you some pos and inadvertantly hit the key before I could sign. It happens, funny it happens on the Neg side so much.

Ditto.

duper
05-05-2008, 08:03 AM
First I agree with Oz. If people think of the original plans, then Robert would not have been playing at all. Most big men need a year to develop (both moves and body) to play at that level. When Josh went down, all of a suddent there was a void. The coaches knew he was probably not ready, but he would be gettting experience that would help in the following year. The reason that he was playing the first 3 to 5 minutes in each of the games (after Josh came back) and Josh was not ready. Kuso, did not want to start.

I think that we are all going to see a better player this year. He has had a whole year to practice and play against this level of competion. I therefore hope we see the same freshman to sophmore jump that we saw in players like Matt. If we also get that from Steve, Ira and Austin then we are going to be a terror.

By the way, has anyone heard about PG? Is he planning on being back? Thanks.

Rob will be a big contributor eventually. I don't see him making a huge jump but more a gradual rise. Good this yr better next yr and great sr yr. I hope he doesn't make the same freshmen to sophmore jump that Matt did, IMO Matt slumped alittle this yr and needs to pick it up in big games next yr. Which I think he will.

zag67
05-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Duper, I also agree that I do not expect a quantum jump, but I do expect to see him playing a solid minutes. I think that he needs to box out, rebound, and be a threat to score. He has to catch the passes from players like Austin (when he gets doubled) and attack the hoop.

I also think that you saw Matt playing 2 different types of games. When he played more at the 3 (against taller and bigger players), he did have problems (Like WSU). I think that he and the coaches have to find out how he can be more productive against those types of teams. I think that when he was playing the 1/2 and could post up, that made him more of a threat.

bigblahla
05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Sorry for losing my cool and to all who gave me pos rep, Thanks!

Personally I think we need another 5 fouls to give up int the paint. We've seen games where the guys get hammered and others where touch fouls are called. I think big Rob will show good progress but still he only gets 5 fouls, Josh only gets 5 fouls so we could use an extra 5 just in case and to go along with those 5 maybe 5 to 6 rebounds and 5 to 6 points.

Go!! Zags!!!

zag67
05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Bigblah. Did you lose your cool? I do not think that we noticed.

Number 1, I agree that having another big would be handy (especially in case of foul trouble). Also it would help against teams that have 2 big men that pound you all of the game (alot like the big 10 plays). But if it does not happen then we are going to need the "smaller" bigs to box out hard and keep their man away from the boards. As of now, Josh and Sacre are going to be the mainstays this year. I do not know what the status of Foster is, but he might be able to give a few minutes.

So all I can say is go Zags and play smart and hard.