PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Josh

BobZag
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Josh will be graduating and taking part in the May 10th ceremonies. Of course he'll be wearing a hard cast by then as his ankle was reinjured at Santa Clara, the lower part of his fracture split open again and robbed him of any chance at being as effective as most hoped for. New screws have been installed at different angles and mid-June he'll begin rehabbing. Josh will be good to go full-speed in July/August. His first fractured ankle (RS frosh) was the other ankle and it hasn't bothered him since, so here's hoping the same for this ankle. :)

Congrats and kudos to Josh on earning his degree, and heal fast ASAP. Good going.

GoZags
05-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Attaboy Josh.

Congratulations (and heal quickly, please).

MickMick
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I am concerned that these fractures will be a never-ending problem for Josh. I'm thinking beyond his time at Gonzaga.

Congrats Josh

BobZag
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Can't predict the future but I have a feeling Josh's run of bad luck has ended with this ankle and he'll be the monster everyone's waited for.

:)

Reborn
05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I feel that way too BZ. Josh has always been one of my favorite Zags from his very first year. Talk about a career of heartbreaks. I am really pulling for him this year; maybe he can be the comeback story of the year in the NCAA.

Congrats Josh on graduating...I think on time. That's a darn good stat, imo.

Juanzaga
05-02-2008, 02:20 PM
I think its great that Josh graduated. But I have two questions. If he was injured at Santa Clara, why did he play at all after that? Secondly, if Micah Downs was also injured, why was Gonzaga so secretive about his injury? Just curious.

GonzagaGurl08
05-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm glad to know that Josh will be walking. Graduation is Sunday May 11th not the 10th. Here's to hoping that ankle gets better so we can see Josh's full potential for his senior season.

zag buddy
05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I really like Josh. He see's life a little different and has the courage to do his own thinking. Playing injured most of the year and never complaining says a lot about his courage and determination. Good luck Josh, get em tiger.

Once and Future Zag
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
The last couple of years I've been talking Josh up in the preseasons as someone who has the potential to be one of the most dominant players in the game.

I'm optimistic he'll have a healthy Senior year where he plays with confidence and that straight up Josh-style fierceness that we've seen.

He has it in him. I still believe that the guy who made Psycho-T look like a lumbering stiff can do that to anyone we put on the schedule.

Get healthy Josh - and getting that diploma is HUGE and I'm sure a great point of pride for him and the staff.

BobZag
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I think its great that Josh graduated. But I have two questions. If he was injured at Santa Clara, why did he play at all after that? Secondly, if Micah Downs was also injured, why was Gonzaga so secretive about his injury? Just curious.

If it gets out, other teams/coaches will exploit it. For Josh, he had a choice of playing (injured) or toughing it out and finishing the season. Same with Micah. If other teams find out these injuries, they'll go right at the injury, just like coaches teach how to flop, coaches also teach the dirty little tricks. Davey and Holland were masters at this. And some kids take it upon themselves if they hear about it.

Dogtownkid
05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm really pleased that he's graduating. We don't know what the future holds for him, but even if he never plays a minute in the NBA, getting a college degree is a great accomplishment.

mendiant
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Congrats to Josh...

I'm very happy for him!

I look forward to his senior year as a Zag!

love,
mendiant

MDABE80
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Congrats JOSH!!!! I've heard he's really been applying himself academically. Such good news for a kid that could use more. That said, and I'm hearing he should be better than ever by next year. Just about the best news ever for Josh. Well done!!

jim77
05-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Congrats Josh!

So much for questioning heart....here's to a quick recovery and great season. (Micah too)

Would a techie please post Josh's allyoop Dunk against Davidson....the one where Steven Gray launches it from half court. Not too shabby for a bum ankle.

ZagNative
05-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Josh dunking during the Davidson game:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Heytvelt/2008-03-21JoshDavidsonDunk2.jpg

duper
05-03-2008, 07:35 AM
An injury can change how you phisically play the game it does not however effect whether or not you play the game with heart. There have always been guestions about Josh and his approach to the game. I don't feel these are nessesarily warnted but playing with an injury doesn't cure them or excuse them. I think it is great to see him graduate and cut the guy some slack he playes at a high level of skill but not a lot of urgency. Many great players have been like this before and some are the exact oppisite. the truly great ones have both.

gozags09
05-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Congratulations to Josh.

And to those of you that feel he doesn't play with heart...how do you know? Do we all know what this kid has gone through? Yes...much of it was self imposed; but he has gone through more than most 22 year old "kids".

The system required Josh to play with his back to the basket. In the eight years I have watched him, this was not his game. Does he need to develop it...yes.

IMO team chemistry this past year was not because of the play of Josh. Sometimes with teams with this much talent, there simply aren't enough balls to go around. Few has done a great job of molding a team out of players in the past, and if he can do it again this year I expect great things.

BobZag
05-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks to gozags09 for being the first to report Josh's surgery / cast.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Well done, Josh!! Enjoy the moment!!

jim77
05-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Congratulations to Josh.

And to those of you that feel he doesn't play with heart...how do you know? Do we all know what this kid has gone through? Yes...much of it was self imposed; but he has gone through more than most 22 year old "kids".

The system required Josh to play with his back to the basket. In the eight years I have watched him, this was not his game. Does he need to develop it...yes.

IMO team chemistry this past year was not because of the play of Josh. Sometimes with teams with this much talent, there simply aren't enough balls to go around. Few has done a great job of molding a team out of players in the past, and if he can do it again this year I expect great things.

AMEN.

Thomas_Sutpen
05-04-2008, 10:15 AM
If he wants to play for GU in 08-09, will he need to enroll in a graduate program?

BobZag
05-04-2008, 10:37 AM
If he wants to play for GU in 08-09, will he need to enroll in a graduate program?

That's his plan. Yes. :)

kitzbuel
05-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Not a bad deal at all, get a bachelor and half a master paid for. Good job.

CDC84
05-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I just hope that Josh enjoys a healthy senior season. His athleticism is the key to his game and is his big source of confidence when going up against quality opponents.

bigblahla
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Graduating college is quite an accomplishment for anyone who gets their diploma. With all the distractions and injuries the fact that Josh has hung in there speaks to his growth as a man. If there is fairness it would only be right that he comes back from his injury with a new sense of purpose and he and Pargo give us a season to remember, Congrats Josh!!

Go!! Zags!!!