PDA

View Full Version : Few on DP show, recap...

Zagquette
03-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Few talked frankly about Josh, this season and RPI

Here is what he said:

1. Sum up this season: "I lived a dog year, one year that felt like seven. This one is definitely the sweetest. We had to dig ourselves out of the hole. We showed that nothing is bigger than the program. Shows how solid the program is.

2. Josh: Got call at 6 am. from assistant coach; all over the news at 7 am.; by 9 am got a text from JP Batista saying he heard about it in Lithuanian.

"Its was a whole gambit of emotions: Bewilderment, anger, pity for the kids, back to anger. To me, they violated a long time ageless, code of conduct of the competitor. We were trying to win the conference. If you are part of the team that is about winning, then you are not out at 12 am. That is what bothered me the most."

Was mad because of the games and what was at stake.

3. DP: How much responsibly falls on you?:

"What I have tried to do is instill in them the important values, the values of what the program stands for. To never put yourself in those types of situation."

We have always had a great group of leaders who didn't let people get out of line.

We probably let it slide a little this year. We can take it for granted.

4. About policing his kids: I don't believe in curfew, I don't believe in drug testing. Because it sends wrong message. It sends the message that you can cheat the system. Don't believe in policing team. Believes in setting standards and teaching. Will not reconsider drug testing.

"18 years this is our first issue. I think we handled it the right way."

5. Meeting with Josh: Thinks Josh will get less punishment, but is not privy to any inside info. Met with Josh, he knows how many people he hurt. He knows what it has done to him. But he is on the right path to turn it around. He knows what he needs to do.

6. Post Josh Zags: I think there was a misconception that when we lost Josh, that you can't count the wins with Josh. We are playing the best basketball we have all year.

7. The Zags seed: This game is taken over by computers and numbers. Few thinks Zags should be an 8 or 9 seed. If you win your league that is a great accomplishment. I don't think we can lose sight of it.

I was typing while I was listening, so this is pretty accurate.

Peace

bulldogshawn
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the summary, sounds like a great interview!

Midwestzag
03-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Was lucky enough to be in the car and just caught Patrick's interview with Mark Few. I'm internet challenged so if someone more sophisticated could provide a link it would help out other members of the board.

Good stuff--long indepth interview that touched on a range of subjects including: Josh's arrest; Few's response to it; Few's thoughts on drug testing; his high expectations for the leaders of the team to make sure "everyone is on the same page"; "sweetest victory"; thinks GU is playing it's best b'ball of the year; ripped into the obsession with number crunching in rating teams; thinks GU should be an 8 or 9 seed; etc.

Patrick's last comment was something like "if GU is a 12 seed, look out number 5."

TexasZagFan
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Patrick's last comment was something like "if GU is a 12 seed, look out number 5.

Might be the first time a 12 seed is favored over a 5 seed.

zagirl2k
03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
:link: http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/radio/archive?name=dp_podcast

edited to add that it is a insider link so you have to have that in order to get it, sorry didn't realize that at first

Zaggy
03-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Check iTunes, I was able to listen to the interview at work today. ESPN Radio: Dan and Keith is available as a podcast (and its free).

D Hark 2003
03-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Damn i wish i heard that interview, I thought they were going to interview DRav after the game, but i didnt see one? i swear i have never seen him interviewed or heard him speak at all... Whats up with that?

lothar98zag
03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Damn i wish i heard that interview, I thought they were going to interview DRav after the game, but i didnt see one? i swear i have never seen him interviewed or heard him speak at all... Whats up with that?
The ESPN guys interviewed DR after the game. It was shown on ESPNews about 10 minutes after the game ended.

UIUWUMUCGuy
03-06-2007, 06:22 PM
The ESPN guys interviewed DR after the game. It was shown on ESPNews about 10 minutes after the game ended.

Yeah, and he said "shh, don't that D_Hark_2003 guy I'm doing this interview."

roxdoc
03-06-2007, 09:02 PM
So if Josh comes back he won't be drug tested? :eek:

devod
03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
So if Josh comes back he won't be drug tested? :eek:

Not by the Athletic Department. If he is part of any rehabilitation program, they will most assuredly test him regularly.