PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Game

Zerogame
05-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted.

GU under consideration for Hall of Fame game?
Gonzaga is apparently under consideration for the Hall of Fame game (actually a doubleheader) in Indianapolis, along with Notre Dame, Indiana, USC and Oklahoma State.

JLGutrocks
05-01-2008, 01:55 PM
We've been in the last 2 HOF games, why not the third? Texas and UConn right? It's been pretty good for us.

*Was Georgia Tech in vegas an HOF game?

Snagglezag
05-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Wasn't that the same doubleheader that involved Gonzaga getting their butts kicked to a superior Dee Brown led Illlinois team?

CDC84
05-01-2008, 02:46 PM
The Illinois blow out was the Wooden Tradition.

Gonzdb8
05-01-2008, 05:20 PM
The Hall of Fame Challenge really is a great event. Two years ago in Phoenix we got terrific seats (ticket good for both games) for under $75 each. Not only did we get to see the hometown Wildcats rally in a big way for a win against the Illini, but our Zags absolutely put it to Kevin Durant and the Longhorns. As I recall the score didn't really reflect the beating we put on them that day.

ZagNative
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
As a follow-up on this, there's a thread over on Peegs.com (http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=114130210&sid=942&tid=114130210&style=2&Override=1) about this which says that Indiana's (750-page) response to the NCAA about the Sampson recruiting issues, where it listed its TV deals for next year included a game against Gonzaga in the HOF challenge December 6:

In the Notice of Allegations the NCAA asked IU to detail all of its TV contracts and obligations for the next 3 seasons. IU responded by saying their Maui games will be on ESPN, the game against Wake will be on ESPN, the Kentucky game will be on CBS, and they will play Gonzaga in the Hall of Fame Showcase on Dec. 6 on ESPN. I wasn't sure if this game had been made public yet.The document(s) are available on line some place, but at 750 pages, even broken down into smaller bits, it didn't seem worth it to try to verify.

I don't know if, by "next year," they mean this coming season. I assume they mean December 6, 2009.

Anyone know anything more?

Edited to add: InsidetheHall.com (http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/05/13/an-early-look-at-next-seasons-non-conference-schedule/) says it's this coming season, December 6, 2008:

Just to let you know, buried in the 750 page document submitted to the NCAA was this tidbit (in Section E9) that states that IU will be playing Gonzaga in the Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase game in Boston at the TD Banknorth Garden (I live in Boston so this is very exciting) on Dec 6, 2008. Don’t know if that was made public yet. Last year, this was a four-team doubleheader. Good solid OOC game for Crean’s boys. The below is lifted straight from the document:

Indiana University’s known television commitments for the 2008-09 men’s basketball season, beyond those covered generally by the Big Ten Conference are as follows:

November 24-26, EA Sports Maui Classic (3 games), ESPN

December 3, at Wake Forest (Big Ten/ACC Challenge), ESPN

December 6, vs. Gonzaga, Hall of Fame Showcase, ESPN

BobZag
05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
My guess is, it's for 2008. I used to exchange emails with Pegram. I'll ask him.

BobZag
05-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes indeed.

Zags vs Hoosiers on December 6th.

TheCroatian
05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Is it really in Boston? Please say YES! I thought Indianapolis had been discussed prior....

Reborn
05-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Indiana next year. Now that's great news. This will be a great year to get a W against them. An Indian win always looks good on the resume.