PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown is an idiot

KSTATEZAG
04-30-2008, 09:36 AM
"I saw Sean (May) when I walked in and Matt (Carroll)," Brown said. "And the kid with the long hair, I didn't know his name. He wasn't dressed like a basketball player."

That would be the shaggy-haired, thin-mustached Adam Morrison, who missed all of last season with a knee injury.

How do you not know the 3rd pick from the 2006 draft as a NBA executive?
Think this is backhanded?

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/29/sports/BKN-Bobcats-Browns-Practice.php

ZagNative
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
I saw that and decided against posting it, but my reaction is that Ammo may need to start thinking about his image more and become less the maverick. Can't win those battles until you prove yourself. I think Brown was clearly sending a message that Adam better get, sooner rather than later.

ZagMania
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Wow, that seriously pisses me off.

MDABE80
04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Brown's a hardnose guy ZN. Our boy might need to start thinking stand attire and getting a more "professional" appearance.even though defining "professional " in the NBA is futile. I don't think it's quite "wingtip" time over there but teams do take on the character of the coach often. It'll be fun to watch some tranformations. Brown is just SO tough. One thing though..if you want to win by playing solid basketball, he's your guy.

Often, the press embelishes. This might not be such a big deal. Once the season gets going and Adam recovers his shooting, Brown might be a bit more "flexible" as long as everyone behaves and plays good ball. PLUS Brown's getting older. Sometimes that generates some different perspectives on things.

joeyoli35
04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
I think this is great. Larry Brown has sent a clear message to Adam Morrison that he needs to make a name for himself. He's not telling Ammo to cut his hair or shave, but to establish himself as a player in this league, worthy of being the third pick overall.

The job of a coach is to find the right buttons to push. Ammo is a true competitor and super-intelligent. This is just the type of challenge he needs to push himself to the next level. :drool:

I'm more excited than ever before about Adam Morrison's future in the NBA. He has a coach that knows what he's doing and won't allow anyone to settle for anything less than their full potential.

gamagin
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
he's really going to love Ammo.

Can anyone here point to a kid who works harder and plays every point as if life itself depended on it ?

Brown is in for a treat. If Ammo stays healthy, Brown will probably grow his hair long and start wearing black, too. If Brown says he likes heart, well there isn't bigger one there, either, than our guy.

I think given their histories, these two are more alike than not.

Brown is an esoteric, smart basketball wizard who is also very restless, easily bored and prone to move around. He has bounced in and out of teams more than Dan Dikau has changed uniforms. Which for a coach is a lot of moving around -- even moving in and out of the NBA & Division 1.

Ammo, in his own way, is exactly the same. two, smart, basketball wise, restless souls who love the game and obsess about winning.

I like these possibilities.

The article also pointed out how much Brown likes practice. Iverson, who looks a helluva lot more menacing than Ammo with his prison tats (versus hair which can be changed quickly) and demeanor, loathes practice. Or says he does. He even said in an interview that he doesn't go to practice. He's ready all the time.

Ammo, otoh, is one who has always been known for taking his reps, and many more. He's a gym rat who has worked on his game until his moves, decisions and actions became automatic.

I think if the stars align properly in this matchup, that Brown will be singing the praises of Adam Morrison, the same way he looks back fondly on AI.

I think soon, too, Brown will likely say he has no idea what a basketball player looks like from across a room. But he definitely knows one when he seems him all laced up and ready for battle. Long hair, mustache and all.

MickMick
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Pushing buttons to say the least. It is ok to do so....within the confines of the team. I will never agree with calling a player out publicly. Larry Brown might as well trade/cut Adam now as he has probably damaged any type of amiable, professional relationship permanently. First impressions are hard to shake.

I agree KState....Brown is an idiot in this case.

Edit: Stop and think about the very difficult circumstances Adam has endured lately. Yet have you heard any controversial remarks coming from him? Have you heard any complaints from the organization about his rehab work?

No....the reason why is that you keep that crap out of the press. It is the professional thing to do. If the kid isn't good enough then cut him and wish him well. Don't berate him publicly.

ZagNative
04-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm nuts about Ammo and always have been. I've loved his fire and determination to be himself. However, I suspect he's going to need to turn his head around a bit if he is to be happy and successful in the NBA. He can't fight the world, at least not until he shows the bas**rds a thing or two.

The pic of Ammo in the Fanhouse article I saw showed this:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2008/04/adammorrison-tz-180.jpg

NBA dress code? Maybe, but just barely.

I wondered, too, if Brown's comments said anything about whether Adam is acting as if he were a member of the team, or if somehow Adam's opted out and set himself apart or perhaps been excluded in some way. Pure speculation on my part. Just a feeling ...

Changes are coming, that's for sure.

Zagpower
04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Of the two, the unprofessional one appears to be Larry Brown. If he wants to send Adam a message, do it privately one on one.

My guess is that Brown was trying to be funny. He should be well aware of his team's roster as his name has been whispered for this job for quite some time.

pbriz
04-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree that it should have been said privately, but all of us on here don't really know anything concerning the situation except for what the media has said and that means little to nothing in my opinion. Ammo does need to improve immensely though and perhaps Brown is going to be the guy that gets him to do it. Ammo's offensive skill set is amazing and once he can become an average defender he will get plenty of minutes.

zag944
04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Larry Brown is hardly an idiot, at least when it comes to running a basketball team.

He has called out players publicly his entire career. Whether you agree or disagree he has always got results (NY Knicks being the exception).

Adam Morrison isn't going to get babied, might as well brace yourself now.

CDC84
04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Not saying that I agree or disagree with Brown, but keep in mind here that Adam is a pretty tough hombre. He's a very competitive dude and has a lot of self confidence. I don't see him as a guy who is going to crumble by what any coach says or does. He's faced far greater challenges in life.

He might be to deal with Brown better than some might think. Initially.

Also, Adam's competitive fire and hunger for victory might be something that Brown really digs once the getting to know you phase is over.

chirguy
04-30-2008, 12:42 PM
The best thing he can do is piss off ammo. He need to play with a chip and maybe be a little less cool.

MickMick
04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Adam has already proven his mental toughness. He has already gone through more crap than a lot of players. He is getting it from every angle. Don't pile on more and say it has no effect because he is tough minded. Everyone has a limit. He needs public encouragement right now......not public humiliation. I will never agree with a coach using public statements to motivate (read humiliate) players.

Never.

Larry Brown knows a lot about basketball. But you don't have to be a coach to know how to motivate people. He doesn't have exclusive rights to that knowledge. So don't be so quick to disqualify my opinion.

Edit: So do people really believe that Larry Brown doesn't know who the 3rd overall pick in a recent draft was? An average Joe Schmo knows who Ammo is but Larry Brown doesn't?

Excuse me. Brown knew exactly what he was saying/doing. Lobbing a little dagger at a Ammo while playing up to the local fan base via May. He is playing politics. He is lobbying. He is gaining leverage with the locals. Do you think he would say anything like that about a Tar Heel in Charlotte?

cjm720
04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Good post, Mal.

Zerogame
04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh, and I'll bet you anything that Larry Brown knows more about basketball than probably all but maybe one or two posters on this board, so calling him an idiot is laughable.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t realize John Wooden and Dean Smith were bloggers on this board. Cool!:D

Just kidding, nice post.

KSTATEZAG
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Calm down Mal.
I'm obviously not calling Larry Brown an idiot in terms of basketball.
Actually, when you look at the quote it has nothing to do with x's and o's.
My coining of LB as an idiot is in that he is a poor manager. He has difficulty building relationships. Look at his past experiences.
Also, as mick mick pointed out. How are you an NBA exec and not know the third overall draft pick in a class ?!? That's ridiculous. He knows who Ammo is. He knows what he looks like. He likely knows bits of his game. But he'd rather pretend to not know him in front of the press. (But somehow he knows Matt Carrol?)
Any leader or manager knows the people in their organization, knows their roles, and understands how to motivate. Larry Brown lacks that fundamental building block of management.
No one said LB doesn't know basektball...Just Sayin'

75Zag
04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Larry Brown is a basketball genius. However, he is also a conservative old F*** who expects his BB players to have crew cuts or the modern day equivalent, behave politely like Larry Bird, and to say "yes sir" a lot. Adam is a free spirit. I salute Adam for his lifestyle choices. Adam can do whatever he wants with his life, except that if he wants to play for Larry Brown, he is going to have to change. There are a lot of fish in the sea and a lot of teams in the NBA. Hopefully Adam will find a comfortable spot and become a superstar. If not, I suspect it won't bother Adam a whole lot. Life goes on.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow. No wonder Larry Brown won't/can't keep a job for more than two years.

deathchina
04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
If Larry Brown and Iverson could coexist in Philly for a while, then Ammo and Brown can work things though. The problem is, most likely, Ammo isn't ever going to be the player Iverson is (I think even the BIGGEST Gonzaga homer can agree with that), so Brown has a heck of a lot less motivation to make things amiable.

Ammo's disinterest in defense is a bigger concern than his appearance. Defense DOES matter in the NBA (exhibit A: Steve Nash's inability to guard Tony Parker being the primary cause of his team's first round exit), and Brown isn't going to settle for a halfhearted effort on that side of the floor.

dpouley
04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Adam has already proven his mental toughness. He has already gone through more crap than a lot of players. He is getting it from every angle. Don't pile on more and say it has no effect because he is tough minded. Everyone has a limit. He needs public encouragement right now......not public humiliation.

I am not trying to argue with the comments that you made, I agree that Adam has been through more than many others. However, has he really proved anything as far as the NBA is concerned? I am not saying that he won't, but Larry Brown has been brought in to save a struggling NBA franchise, his approach to the team will be to look at the team through the eyes of an NBA coach. Not a basketball fan that witnessed Ammo's accomplishments in college. And as an NBA player Morrison is very much an unproven commodity.

I agree that public humiliation is not the right move for a coach, and if that is what Larry Brown was doing then I don't think that is right. But we have to be realistic in this situation. If Morrison wants to present himself as a slob, he better be prepared to be called a slob. Remember Morrison is the one that has publicly said he doesn't like to shower, he likes his scraggly mustache, and he likes to wear his hair the way that he does. Those are not mainstream choices, especially in the NBA, and therefore he is naturally going to stand out for those choices.

Finally, Morrison has overcome very long odds to get where he is, but so have a majority of the players in the NBA. I don't think that Morrison's struggles with diabetes should allow for anymore sympathy than the NBA athletes that grew up in the projects with abusive parents and no money or support. Yes, Morrison's struggles are amazing and unique, but the NBA is one place where kids that came from absolutely NOTHING have become superstars.

I do not agree with a coach publicly humiliating a player, I don't know if that is what Brown intended, and I do not know if what Brown said actually did that.

ZagMania
04-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Brown obviously knows who Morrison is, and probably knows a good deal about his game. That part is not even questionable.

However, a new head coach saying something like that about a player before they probably haven't even spoken a word to eachother, that is a ridiculous way to start out a relationship with anyone you are going to be working with.

While the people are right that Morrison is mentally tough enough to deal with a hard ass jerk, its not going to change my opinion that what Brown said was absolutely classless.

zagmantis2001
05-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Brown isn't happy unless he is miserable. He does this at every place he has coached in the pros. He gets in a fight with a "difficult" star or with someone in management. He did it with Iverson, with Isiah Thomas (who deserves it) and with the entire Pistons organization.

I think the guy is manic and at the very least a drama queen. He uses the media for his own purposes and has for years, just like Phil Jackson and George Karl. He knows who Morrison is, he is just trying to lay down the law right out of the gates. He didn't forget the third pick in the draft-he is trying to show him who is the boss.

MickMick
05-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Brown isn't happy unless he is miserable. He does this at every place he has coached in the pros. He gets in a fight with a "difficult" star or with someone in management. He did it with Iverson, with Isiah Thomas (who deserves it) and with the entire Pistons organization.

I think the guy is manic and at the very least a drama queen. He uses the media for his own purposes and has for years, just like Phil Jackson and George Karl. He knows who Morrison is, he is just trying to lay down the law right out of the gates. He didn't forget the third pick in the draft-he is trying to show him who is the boss.

I agree with some of this but here is the problem:

Ammo isn't Allen Iverson. Larry Brown would be better served to call up Mark Few and ask for an assessment of Morrison's "coachability" before assuming that the "drama" was required.

As I put it earlier, I don't think this was aimed at Ammo. If it was, it could be handled privately. The fact that comments were made public means that they were aimed at the public. Brown is lobbying the public.

The Bobcats drafted 2 (or 3?) Tar Heels right after they won the national championship. It isn't politically viable to attack their play in Charlotte. In fact, local support will be gained by publically praising those players (see the May comment). Meanwhile Ammo hasn't delivered on the big contract and big expectations. Charlotte fans commonly point at Ammo as the source of their troubles (perish the thought of blaming championship Tar Heels for their woes). Further, if the Bobcats continue to lose (they will), it will never be Brown's fault as he has found the player he can safely point his finger at.

Larry Brown is playing politics. By gaining popular support from the local fans, he is gaining leverage against Bobcat management. Why? So he can pull the antics he has historically pulled. It gives him more latitude to be a "drama queen".

Ammo is in a bad, bad situation down there in Charlotte. I thought he really needed a different team last year. Now that Larry Brown has joined in on the local fan chorus, I feel Ammo must somehow move on.

KSTATEZAG
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Larry Brown is already in mid-season form
It didn’t take long for Larry Brown to start zinging one of his new players. At Tuesday’s news conference to introduce Brown as coach of the Bobcats, the 67-year-old Brown said he saw Charlotte players Sean May and Hatboro-Horsham graduate Matt Carroll on his way into the building. He also said he noticed “the kid with the long hair. I didn’t know his name. He wasn’t dressed like a basketball player.”

That would be Adam Morrison, former NCAA Player of the Year at Gonzaga and the third pick in the 2006 draft. Granted, Morrison, a skinny small forward who missed the entire 2007-08 season with a torn ACL, is far from Brown’s ideal type of player because he’s a low-percentage shooter –37.6 percent as a rookie — not much of a passer and doesn’t defend. But Brown, who follows college and the NBA closely, certainly knows who Morrison is. To act like he has no idea and to criticize Morrison’s attire on the day Brown returns to the league after a two-year absence is uncalled for.

While Morrison isn’t my favorite player, either, Michael Jordan is the guy who drafted him at No. 3 when Brandon Roy, Villanova’s Randy Foye and other more well-rounded players were still on the board. Jordan knew Morrison’s skill set and took him anyway, despite his obvious deficiencies.

But Brown couldn’t resist ripping the kid. It marked the first of what undoubtedly will be many verbal shots he’ll take at Morrison, until Jordan eventually trades him or Brown buries him on the Charlotte bench.

Good to have you back, Larry. We forgot how boring things were without you.

http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/blog.php?p=28996&cat=9

This echos what many-a-posters said in response.

siliconzag
05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Larry Brown, with all due respect, is hardly an idiot. He is quite the opposite. However it might be argued that he made a tactical mistake in his approach to Mr. Morrison. While I personally liked what Adam did for the Zags, I also felt his defense was spotty to non existent, and at times he intimidated his teammates with his uber intesive personality.

Larry Brown has won championships in the NBA and miraculously led KU to a victory in 88 over heavily favored Oklahoma who had defeated them three times during the regular season. I would argue that he is a hall of famer, and the way his Pistons won 4 straight against the Lakers in 2004, was very impressive. That was a team that knew how to play defense (quite possibly the last team to know how to do it).

There is a difference between Hoops IQ and Emotional IQ. Perhaps LB has taken the wrong tact with Adam. Clipping Adam's wings may be something that needs to be done, but to do so in such a public way, invites reactivity, and may end up badly. Perhaps he will be traded. Who knows?! I am not defending LB's public back handed admonition of AM, but let's face it guys, he is not an idiot.

Some of you have defended Bobby Knight for showing the same kind of bombastic tendencies. He is old school. He comes from the Bobby Knight, Al Maguire school of basketball. And he is a sharp cookie.

Sili

KSTATEZAG
05-01-2008, 12:16 PM
dictionary.com says:

idiot-noun
an utterly foolish or senseless person
---
LB acted very foolish and senseless when he said what he said.
Looks like a duck, smells like a duck, walks like a duck...must be an idiot.
:confused:

deathchina
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Isn't Larry brown the only coach to ever win an NBA championship AND a college basketball championship?

KSTATEZAG
05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm probably just fueling more overreaction, but think about the context of this: Larry Brown is quoted in a local paper as saying the guy with long hair, whose name he doesn't know, doesn't look like a basketball player. From that, people are now saying that Larry Brown refuses to give Morrison a chance because he doesn't play defense, and compares Morrison's relationship with Brown as akin to Brown and Iverson. Perhaps there is a bit of overreaction on the fan's part(which is normal, since fans tend to be fanatical). I just don't think most of the assumptions being made are even close to logical.

Larry Brown, on his first day on the job, is already catering to a local fan base to try and usurp the organization's authority. Larry Brown has it out for Adam because he isn't the sort of player Brown likes to have on his roster. Larry Brown is favoring UNC players as a way to gain favor with fans. Larry Brown is already trying to get Morrison traded(which seems absurd since he has little trade value at this point in time, since he had a shaky rookie season and is coming back from surgery). Larry Brown doesn't like Morrison's haircut.

How about most of you take a step back and stop trying to read the world into every little thing that Larry Brown says to the press. He hasn't made a habit or displayed any sort of pattern of animosity towards Morrison, and it could be possible that Larry Brown really didn't know Morrison's name(which would be simplest explanation to work, and therefore the best according to Ohkam's razor). Instead, we have a fan base going nuts over a one sentence quote from the first 24 hours of a new head coach. Until Brown displays a repeated pattern of media slights towards Morrison, then I'm going to disregard the opinions of anyone suggesting Brown has it out for Morrison. That's silly at this point, and at the end of the day extremely premature. My guess is that Morrison might learn to be an effective starter under Brown, and a lot of people will look silly for making silly assumptions at a very early juncture in this whole process.

Oh, and I'm not surprised some idiot with a sports column expressed the same sentiments. Brown has burned bridges in the past with power struggles, but I think some of that is blown out of proportion, and should be considered suspect. Some people may read too much into every little detail of Brown's existence. Probably not all that fair to him, but he does have a slightly negative track record in this regard. Use Ohkam's razor and stop blowing little things out of the water. Until you see a pattern of this direct to Adam Morrison, [B]stop with the stupid assumptions.
Wow. I thought message boards were around to bring up things like this and discuss them.
By the way, Larry Brown probably needs a better PR person...you are best for that job.

TexasZagFan
05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Could there be a Josh Howard for Ammo trade in the works? :drool:

There'd have to be a couple of other pieces to make it work, but the Mavericks need to get younger, and they need another shooter to spot up for a kick-out pass from J Kidd.

Mavericks can use his fire, too!

willandi
05-01-2008, 07:50 PM
I would like to see Ammo cover his body in tats (water soluable of course), have his hair done in corn rows and braids, with beads on the end, and introduce himself to Mr Brown " My name is Adam Morrison. Is this what a basketball player looks like?"

ZagMania
05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
He hasn't made a habit or displayed any sort of pattern of animosity towards Morrison, and it could be possible that Larry Brown really didn't know Morrison's name(which would be simplest explanation to work, and therefore the best according to Ohkam's razor).

There is literally no chance that he didn't know who Adam was.

Obviously, we aren't saying that Brown doesn't know basketball, but that doesn't mean that he can't be an idiot. I can't imagine saying something like that for the whole world to hear prior to meeting someone who you are supposed to coach. Maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if Brown had coached Ammo for a season, gotten to know him and felt he knew that was the best way to get him motivated. But to start off with a comment like that is not only rude but dumb.

MickMick
05-02-2008, 12:45 AM
It was Larry Brown's idea to "motivate" Ammo using a public forum. He is fair game for "stupid assumptions" now. And I'm going to make plenty.

I'll start again with this...I think Larry Brown is an idiot (http://northcarolina.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1235&tid=112827849&mid=112827849&sid=941&style=2) ;)

P0t meet kettle. I don't know who that long haired freaky dude is, but he doesn't look like a basketball coach to me. What a wierdo!!!

CarolinaZagFan
05-02-2008, 06:01 AM
I agree that Coach Brown is a jerk. I saw him at the CUSA tourney in Memphis this year, and walked right by him on the street and said Hey Coach and he looked right at me but didn't say anything. I wanted to punch him in the face haha.

MickMick
05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Drama Queen

exiledhusky
05-03-2008, 09:33 PM
"I saw Sean (May) when I walked in and Matt (Carroll)," Brown said. "And the kid with the long hair, I didn't know his name. He wasn't dressed like a basketball player."

That would be the shaggy-haired, thin-mustached Adam Morrison, who missed all of last season with a knee injury.

How do you not know the 3rd pick from the 2006 draft as a NBA executive?
Think this is backhanded?

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/29/sports/BKN-Bobcats-Browns-Practice.php

He's telling Morrison he's been in the league two years and done nothing. In that league, two years with nothing to show fades the memory, three years with no results often leads to a lack of a second contract.

Adam needs to stay healthy, step up to the plate and show 3 pick results this year, especially with this coach. 21 year olds are prospects, 24 year olds are approaching suspect age.

johno
05-03-2008, 09:47 PM
When I read thee quote I laughed. He was joking. Of course he knows AMMO.

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I would like to see Ammo cover his body in tats (water soluable of course), have his hair done in corn rows and braids, with beads on the end, and introduce himself to Mr Brown " My name is Adam Morrison. Is this what a basketball player looks like?"

I think you just described Zach Gourde during his senior season. :D

The Oregon Spike
05-05-2008, 10:11 AM
First, have any of you seen pictures of Larry Brown from the 70's? The guy was always dressed goofy, with goofy hair. No one questioned his basketball prowess for it
Secondly, What is the difference of a white guy having long hair, and a black guy with corn rows and neck tattoos?

Zaghuatanejo
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/9/9e/LarryBrown.jpg

Brown has had his hair and fashion moments as well.

LynetteG
05-05-2008, 11:24 AM
or this pic that MickMick so awesomely linked!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0804/nba.larry.brown/images/3.l.jpg

gamagin
05-05-2008, 11:58 AM
a rubber nose and squirting flower . . .

ZagNut08
05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
too bad they didn't hold off and talk to a coach like d'antoni. Morrison would have flourished in his offense