• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KSTATEZAG
    Kennel Club Material
    • Aug 2007

Larry Brown is an idiot

"I saw Sean (May) when I walked in and Matt (Carroll)," Brown said. "And the kid with the long hair, I didn't know his name. He wasn't dressed like a basketball player."

That would be the shaggy-haired, thin-mustached Adam Morrison, who missed all of last season with a knee injury.

How do you not know the 3rd pick from the 2006 draft as a NBA executive?
    Think this is backhanded?

• ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I saw that and decided against posting it, but my reaction is that Ammo may need to start thinking about his image more and become less the maverick. Can't win those battles until you prove yourself. I think Brown was clearly sending a message that Adam better get, sooner rather than later.

Comment

• ZagMania
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

Wow, that seriously pisses me off.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Brown's a hardnose guy ZN. Our boy might need to start thinking stand attire and getting a more "professional" appearance.even though defining "professional " in the NBA is futile. I don't think it's quite "wingtip" time over there but teams do take on the character of the coach often. It'll be fun to watch some tranformations. Brown is just SO tough. One thing though..if you want to win by playing solid basketball, he's your guy.

Often, the press embelishes. This might not be such a big deal. Once the season gets going and Adam recovers his shooting, Brown might be a bit more "flexible" as long as everyone behaves and plays good ball. PLUS Brown's getting older. Sometimes that generates some different perspectives on things.
        Last edited by MDABE80; 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM. Reason: spell and adding ideas! ONIONS!!!

Comment

• joeyoli35
          Redshirt
          • Mar 2007

I must be in the minority...

I think this is great. Larry Brown has sent a clear message to Adam Morrison that he needs to make a name for himself. He's not telling Ammo to cut his hair or shave, but to establish himself as a player in this league, worthy of being the third pick overall.

The job of a coach is to find the right buttons to push. Ammo is a true competitor and super-intelligent. This is just the type of challenge he needs to push himself to the next level.

I'm more excited than ever before about Adam Morrison's future in the NBA. He has a coach that knows what he's doing and won't allow anyone to settle for anything less than their full potential.

Comment

• gamagin
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

If brown loves Iverson

he's really going to love Ammo.

Can anyone here point to a kid who works harder and plays every point as if life itself depended on it ?

Brown is in for a treat. If Ammo stays healthy, Brown will probably grow his hair long and start wearing black, too. If Brown says he likes heart, well there isn't bigger one there, either, than our guy.

I think given their histories, these two are more alike than not.

Brown is an esoteric, smart basketball wizard who is also very restless, easily bored and prone to move around. He has bounced in and out of teams more than Dan Dikau has changed uniforms. Which for a coach is a lot of moving around -- even moving in and out of the NBA & Division 1.

Ammo, in his own way, is exactly the same. two, smart, basketball wise, restless souls who love the game and obsess about winning.

I like these possibilities.

The article also pointed out how much Brown likes practice. Iverson, who looks a helluva lot more menacing than Ammo with his prison tats (versus hair which can be changed quickly) and demeanor, loathes practice. Or says he does. He even said in an interview that he doesn't go to practice. He's ready all the time.

Ammo, otoh, is one who has always been known for taking his reps, and many more. He's a gym rat who has worked on his game until his moves, decisions and actions became automatic.

I think if the stars align properly in this matchup, that Brown will be singing the praises of Adam Morrison, the same way he looks back fondly on AI.

I think soon, too, Brown will likely say he has no idea what a basketball player looks like from across a room. But he definitely knows one when he seems him all laced up and ready for battle. Long hair, mustache and all.
            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• MickMick
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Pushing buttons to say the least. It is ok to do so....within the confines of the team. I will never agree with calling a player out publicly. Larry Brown might as well trade/cut Adam now as he has probably damaged any type of amiable, professional relationship permanently. First impressions are hard to shake.

I agree KState....Brown is an idiot in this case.

Edit: Stop and think about the very difficult circumstances Adam has endured lately. Yet have you heard any controversial remarks coming from him? Have you heard any complaints from the organization about his rehab work?

No....the reason why is that you keep that crap out of the press. It is the professional thing to do. If the kid isn't good enough then cut him and wish him well. Don't berate him publicly.
              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• ZagNative
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I'm nuts about Ammo and always have been. I've loved his fire and determination to be himself. However, I suspect he's going to need to turn his head around a bit if he is to be happy and successful in the NBA. He can't fight the world, at least not until he shows the bas**rds a thing or two.

The pic of Ammo in the Fanhouse article I saw showed this:

NBA dress code? Maybe, but just barely.

I wondered, too, if Brown's comments said anything about whether Adam is acting as if he were a member of the team, or if somehow Adam's opted out and set himself apart or perhaps been excluded in some way. Pure speculation on my part. Just a feeling ...

Changes are coming, that's for sure.

Comment

• Zagpower
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Feb 2007

Of the two, the unprofessional one appears to be Larry Brown. If he wants to send Adam a message, do it privately one on one.

My guess is that Brown was trying to be funny. He should be well aware of his team's roster as his name has been whispered for this job for quite some time.

Comment

• pbriz
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Apr 2007

I agree that it should have been said privately, but all of us on here don't really know anything concerning the situation except for what the media has said and that means little to nothing in my opinion. Ammo does need to improve immensely though and perhaps Brown is going to be the guy that gets him to do it. Ammo's offensive skill set is amazing and once he can become an average defender he will get plenty of minutes.
                    It's F4 or bust.

Comment

• zag944
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Larry Brown is hardly an idiot, at least when it comes to running a basketball team.

He has called out players publicly his entire career. Whether you agree or disagree he has always got results (NY Knicks being the exception).

Adam Morrison isn't going to get babied, might as well brace yourself now.

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Not saying that I agree or disagree with Brown, but keep in mind here that Adam is a pretty tough hombre. He's a very competitive dude and has a lot of self confidence. I don't see him as a guy who is going to crumble by what any coach says or does. He's faced far greater challenges in life.

He might be to deal with Brown better than some might think. Initially.

Also, Adam's competitive fire and hunger for victory might be something that Brown really digs once the getting to know you phase is over.

Comment

• chirguy
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Jul 2007

Brown's right

The best thing he can do is piss off ammo. He need to play with a chip and maybe be a little less cool.

Comment

• MickMick
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

Adam has already proven his mental toughness. He has already gone through more crap than a lot of players. He is getting it from every angle. Don't pile on more and say it has no effect because he is tough minded. Everyone has a limit. He needs public encouragement right now......not public humiliation. I will never agree with a coach using public statements to motivate (read humiliate) players.

Never.

Larry Brown knows a lot about basketball. But you don't have to be a coach to know how to motivate people. He doesn't have exclusive rights to that knowledge. So don't be so quick to disqualify my opinion.

Edit: So do people really believe that Larry Brown doesn't know who the 3rd overall pick in a recent draft was? An average Joe Schmo knows who Ammo is but Larry Brown doesn't?

Excuse me. Brown knew exactly what he was saying/doing. Lobbing a little dagger at a Ammo while playing up to the local fan base via May. He is playing politics. He is lobbying. He is gaining leverage with the locals. Do you think he would say anything like that about a Tar Heel in Charlotte?
                            Last edited by MickMick; 04-30-2008, 12:29 PM. Reason: Add:
                            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• cjm720
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Good post, Mal.
                              Go Zags!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X