PDA

View Full Version : Let me take you back....

TM27
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
to a time when Gonzaga was pronounced "Gon-ZAH-guh." And Gonzahguh was always the underdog, yet through hustle, teamwork, and tenacity, no team was unbeatable! GU had no business beating the likes of Minnesota, Stanford, and Florida in 99 and no business taking it to Louisville and St. Johns in 00. Yet there was the ‘X’ factor, and no team could match Gonzahguh’s heart! Now fast forward – Gonzaga is pronounced correctly by everyone (except Majerus occasionally ;) ), GU plays every week on ESPN, GU out-recruits many BCS schools and yet, one may mistakenly think that this is not the Gonzaga of yesteryear. So to bring it back old school read Few’s quote below -

“"This game was exactly like our season," he said. "We started well, we hit some adversity. But true to character, when their backs were pressed firmly against the wall, they showed their true colors.”

This quote sounds very much like this season, yet it was said by Few in 1999/2000 after the 69-65 OT win against Pepperdine in the WCC Championship.

In all honesty, Gonzaga had no business winning the regular season title, nor the tournament, but again you cannot measure the ‘X’ factor. Riddle me this, how many teams, that are composed of mostly underclassmen, that lose 60% of their scoring, that schedule arguably the toughest OOC schedule in the nation, that travel damn near around the world 3 times, that lose their profile player half way through, and that get caught up and distracted by the most negative news/incident that their school has ever seen, YET STILL HAVE ENOUGH MOXY TO KEEP IT TOGETHER. The answer is one!

GU had numerous excuses not to win this year. Yes they had the talent to do it, but even before all of the crap that happened this year, we anticipated that this could be the year that GU did not come out on top. I for one underestimated the ‘X’ factor. I forgot that this house was built on Spinks fire, Calvary’s blood, Santangelo’s leadership, Frahm’s poise and Nilson’s heart.

Here is to Few, Grier, Rice, and Lloyd – what a remarkable job! And here is to the TEAM – unbelievable, un’freaking’believable.

So proud to rock my Zag gear!

TCS88
03-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Great post TM! Thanks. To whoever we play next Thurdsay/Friday...BRING IT, CUS YOUR GONNA NEED IT.

McZag
03-06-2007, 11:50 AM
:1bestever: :1bestever: :allhail: :cheers:

Frazzle
03-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Like many others, I have heard the phrase "what does not kill you only makes you stronger" a million times. However, until recently I never bought in to that phrase. The poise and tenacity that the Zags showed in the face of adversity to close out conference play is remarkable and awe-inspiring.

229SintoZag
03-06-2007, 02:31 PM
to a time when Gonzaga was pronounced "Gon-ZAH-guh." And Gonzahguh was always the underdog, yet through hustle, teamwork, and tenacity, no team was unbeatable! GU had no business beating the likes of Minnesota, Stanford, and Florida in 98 and no business taking it to Louisville and St. Johns in 99. Yet there was the ‘X’ factor, and no team could match Gonzahguh’s heart! Now fast forward – Gonzaga is pronounced correctly by everyone (except Majerus occasionally ;) ), GU plays every week on ESPN, GU out-recruits many BCS schools and yet, one may mistakenly think that this is not the Gonzaga of yesteryear. So to bring it back old school read Few’s quote below -

“"This game was exactly like our season," he said. "We started well, we hit some adversity. But true to character, when their backs were pressed firmly against the wall, they showed their true colors.”

This quote sounds very much like this season, yet it was said by Few in 1999/2000 after the 69-65 OT win against Pepperdine in the WCC Championship.

In all honesty, Gonzaga had no business winning the regular season title, nor the tournament, but again you cannot measure the ‘X’ factor. Riddle me this, how many teams, that are composed of mostly underclassmen, that lose 60% of their scoring, that schedule arguably the toughest OOC schedule in the nation, that travel damn near around the world 3 times, that lose their profile player half way through, and that get caught up and distracted by the most negative news/incident that their school has ever seen, YET STILL HAVE ENOUGH MOXY TO KEEP IT TOGETHER. The answer is one!

GU had numerous excuses not to win this year. Yes they had the talent to do it, but even before all of the crap that happened this year, we anticipated that this could be the year that GU did not come out on top. I for one underestimated the ‘X’ factor. I forgot that this house was built on Spinks fire, Calvary’s blood, Santangelo’s leadership, Frahm’s poise and Nilson’s heart.

Here is to Few, Grier, Rice, and Lloyd – what a remarkable job! And here is to the TEAM – unbelievable, un’freaking’believable.

So proud to rock my Zag gear!

Good post, but your 1998 is actually 1999, and your 1999 is actually 2000.

Otherwise, as to the merits, I agree with your post This Gonzaga team looks almost nothing at all like the team we took to the sweet 16 last year. And look where we are--conference champs, WCC tournament champs, and again going back to the dance where we belong

They said last night that your streak of 9 NCAA appearances is the 8th longest active streak. Here is who we are in company with, or behind, in that select group (all of this includes 2007 bids, which does not appear to be an issue for anyone this year):

Arizona: 23 consecutive trips
Kansas: 18
Kentucky: 16
Duke: 12
Michigan State: 10

We are tied at 9 with Wisconsin, Texas and Florida.

Not bad company. Consider who is NOT on this list (i.e., teams who have missed at least one tourney since 1999):

Indiana
Illinois
UConn
North Carolina
UCLA

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State (heck, the whole Big 12 other than Kansas and Texas)

Maryland
Stanford
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Louisville
Memphis

Pretty amazing streak Gonzaga has put together. UW, for example, has a school record of 3 straight NCAA appearances. (Looks like they will not get 4 this year barring a miracle in the Pac 10 tourney). We have done back-to-back-to-back 3 straight.

And with the talent we have coming in and a maturing group of young future stars (Bouldin, Downs, Pargo) the future is bright indeed.

TM27
03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Good post, but your 1998 is actually 1999, and your 1999 is actually 2000.

Nice catch - I should have stated 1998/1999 season and 1999/2000 season as the madness happened during 1999 and 2000.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-06-2007, 03:21 PM
They said last night that your streak of 9 NCAA appearances is the 8th longest active streak. Here is who we are in company with, or behind, in that select group (all of this includes 2007 bids, which does not appear to be an issue for anyone this year):

Arizona: 23 consecutive trips
Kansas: 18
Kentucky: 16
Duke: 12
Michigan State: 10

We are tied at 9 with Wisconsin, Texas and Florida.

Doesn't this mean we are tied for the 6th longest streak?

D Hark 2003
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Great Post! that almost brings tears of pride to my eyes...

Lawdog9902
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Amen.

BobZag
03-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Nicely done, TM.

For this team to make the dance is a big achievement in and of itself. But, you know, we fans now know that this new version of the Zags can play with, and beat, a team like Memphis... And if the guys can play Memphis straight up, they can play any team in the country, straight up.

brasszag
03-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Very true BZ.

Can the basketball gods let us have another swipe a the team that shall not be named from LA please?

bigblahla
03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Great post.

This TEAM truly is a band of brothers and those of us lucky enough to be viewing this will remember and share it with others for years to come. This is what having heart and a will to win is all about. This is for the TEAM for my brother, for my family. I Believe,I Believe,I Believe.

Go!! Zags!!!